Morrissey and Marr included in article on official Manchester United website

An anonymous person writes:

Manchester United's official website runs a series of articles about the Manchester music scene and in part 2 it features Morrissey and Marr amongst others.

Sounds of M'cr: Part two - Official Manchester United Website

In late 2007, Inside United explored the links between football and music in Manchester. Here we revisit that piece in three parts. Here's part two...

Excerpt:

Managers were similarly intolerant of players who dared to be remotely different. Smiths City-supporting guitarist Johnny Marr remembers being rejected by the Blues, despite impressing in a trial.

“I was good enough for City,” he once said, “but they didn’t follow up because I was probably the only player out there wearing eyeliner.”

He wasn’t the only Smith, it later emerged, who was a football fan. That most unlikely, and uncelebrated United fan, is none other than the messiah of Mancunian miserablism himself, Steven Patrick Morrissey (pictured).

In 1988 Mozza admitted: “I’ve been seen once or twice on the terraces... I once bought a Manchester United hat, which I think was 12 shillings, and somebody ran up behind me and pulled it off and ran ahead. So I thought, ‘It’s a very cruel world, I’m not prepared for this.’ I decided to get my revenge on society.”

He later confessed finding Bryan Robson "impressive", and admiring Eric Cantona, saying of his Kung-fu kick on Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons: “I think he set a good example.”

Morrissey’s solo recording career is peppered with United references. Witness the track on 1997 album Maladjusted called Roy’s Keen, and his moving tribute to the Babes, Munich Air Disaster 1958. Growing up on the King’s Road, Stretford, round the corner from Old Trafford, it’s not surprising the Reds proved influential.

Last edited:
Re: Article: Morrissey and Marr included in article on official Manchester United web

the messiah of Mancunian miserablism himself, Steven Patrick Morrissey

What an impressive title :p

Re: Article: Morrissey and Marr included in article on official Manchester United web

I also noticed this on the same website, from yesterday

No. united 1 City 6 :thumbs:

Jukebox Jury

Yes, United is in first but City is in 3rd, not 6th. Still heading downward is probably what you're thinking.

pft the corporate blimp desperate to concoct itself a modicom of street cred, "ooh i know Mozza came to see us once we'll have him"
it has no relationship with manchester or its people, theyre a multi national conglomerate that sold its soul or any right to one decades ago.

Yes, United is in first but City is in 3rd, not 6th. Still heading downward is probably what you're thinking.

You know EXACTLY what the united 1 City 6 means. Please do not live in denial you rag of all rags. It was the Sick Swan Demolition Derby ;)

Jukebox Jury

You know EXACTLY what the united 1 City 6 means. Please do not live in denial you rag of all rags. It was the Sick Swan Demolition Derby ;)

Jukebox Jury

It's witless nonsense like this that made many of us delighted when you got banned from this site

pft the corporate blimp desperate to concoct itself a modicom of street cred, "ooh i know Mozza came to see us once we'll have him"
it has no relationship with manchester or its people, theyre a multi national conglomerate that sold its soul or any right to one decades ago.

Sounds just like Morrissey!

You know EXACTLY what the united 1 City 6 means.

Well, on the plus side, it looks like The Champ16ons League won't be getting in the way of your title defense.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom