Morrissey and SER driving at high speed in wrong direction according to police - La Repubblica

Hey just so you know, here is the police version from the italian newspaper "La Repubblica":

Roma, Morrissey litiga col poliziotto in via del Corso. “Minacce e urla” - La Repubblica
"Poteva uccidermi - accusa la rockstar - impugnava una pistola. La replica della questura: "E' arrivato a forte velocità contromano"

di FEDERICA ANGELI

They claim Sam was driving on the wrong sense at "full speed" and that they stopped him - apparently scared for the threat of a car driving at full speed in the wrong direction - to ask for his documents first, and then Morrissey's.
The article continues:Morrissey was asked four times for a document, but instead of telling them he left the wallet in the hotel he told them he did not do anything and did not had to deliver his document.
Than Sam proceeded to take a photo of they guy (who in the meantime googled Morrissey and realised who he was) and told him "you're going to be famous".
Apparently, both the policeman (whose photo was published) and the italian police want to sue Morrissey, the articles concludes.
The officer claim he never pointed the gun.

Just translating, guys.

----------------

Adding the police statement (from a newspaper) I just found

«The car was proceding from Via della Frezza on the wrong direction, tuesday late afternoon, and came into a very crowded (because of the sale week shopping) via del corso. The agents on the "nibbio" motorbikes, who are regularly patrolling the historical center because of counterterrorism measures, did not hesitate to stop the car and ask the people on board for their id». According to the Questura after the first check «the policeman issued the ticket to the driver, who admitted his responsibility - according to the violations commited. But the other person - in other words the singer (exactly like this in the police memo - hilarious :)) - has been hostile since the beginning: an english citizen, he insisted saying he could not be forced to produce his ID or state his identity because he commited no felony, and was very surprised he wasn't recognised by the policemen. After some persistence the agents, who spoke english, allowed the person to call the hotel twice, thus learning the man's identity in order to run further checks even in the absence of an ID. During the checks the artist, bothered, shoot some pictures to the policeman threatening “you will become famous”».

(I don't know if the "artist" at the end is supposed to be morrissey or sam)

Sorry for the translation, but police statements are written in a strange funny language

Update:
SER has just written in his facebook page (comment in the same photo post) it was not him driving the car and he was not in italy at the moment. What the hell?

This is getting more and more ridicolous.

Sam Esty Rayner Photography:

"The Italian newspapers state, on behalf of Roma Polizia, that the driver of the car was Sam Esty Rayner.

Sam was not the driver; was not in the car; was not in Italy on the date of the incident.
"

Scan of print edition from Betta:

40318_morrissey_repbblica_scan.jpg

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how the New York dolls would have handeled this and would we be so critical if they didn't say yes sir to the police man. So many bands and musicians who gets praised on here regularly from the pistols to iggy and Lou reed who've had much wilder altercations with police officers didn't seem to face so much criticism for it. I don't remember the story of Johnny rotten saying yes sir here's my I'd sir thanks for being such a diligent officer sir. I do however remember the story and pics of them flipping off the officer behind his back who asked them for Id on the street
You're talking out your ass. Not ONE of the artists you mentioned was EVER without proper security, management, representation or friends when they encountered the police.

You probably think Sid Vicious was the bass player for the Pistols.

You can go back to sleep now.

I wonder how the New York dolls would have handeled this and would we be so critical if they didn't say yes sir to the police man. So many bands and musicians who gets praised on here regularly from the pistols to iggy and Lou reed who've had much wilder altercations with police officers didn't seem to face so much criticism for it. I don't remember the story of Johnny rotten saying yes sir here's my I'd sir thanks for being such a diligent officer sir. I do however remember the story and pics of them flipping off the officer behind his back who asked them for Id on the street

Iggy knows a lot about car insurance. A lot. And he knows how this kind of thing can affect premiums. So I think you can count him out.

This isn't really anything to do with rock 'n' roll high-jinx, though. It's about bullshitting and bullying, plus the inability to learn from experience that these tales always unravel within 24 hours. None of that is cool or edgy.

If you all take a breather, the whole situation is quite funny. I have a suspicion Morrissey has had a few laughs.

My friend was pulled over by a really hot cop once, it happened to be her birthday and she asked him if he was her birthday stripper. She didn't get a ticket I might add.

Police manners everywhere are usually arrogant and I do agree on why do you have to identify yourself over no obvious fault?

However things in Europe are not exactly smooth and terrorism level is high everyday . With the recent events of cars running crowds of people here and there I believe there would be a fair reason to ask for your papers , the problem was probably the way that police guy approached him ...

With a gun. You don't need to point it to intimidate a person.
The driver of the car was identified. No terrorism, just a traffic offense.

No matter what policemen usually do, what italian people say italian laws say, they have ZERO right to ask the ID to someone who did nothing to deserve police intervention towards his person. International treaties establish it. It's about the principle of innocence. Any person who has a minimal knowledge of continental law knows about Kelsen Pyramid of Norms.

If they actually had any right to ask Morrissey the ID, they would have detained him when he did not produce it. Bet your money.

For the person who traduced the article from the newspaper, the web article doesn't say "Apparently, both the policeman (whose photo was published) and the italian police want to sue Morrissey, the articles concludes. The officer claim he never pointed the gun."

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli...ci_-170113221/?ref=RHPPRB-BS-I0-C4-P1-S1.4-T1

If La Repubblica printed it they deleted those words in the web edition. Presumably because: 1) a gun doesn't need to be pointed to be threatening, 2) the public threat of suing someone could be considered a crime under these circumstances (art. 612 Codice Penale - Delitto di Minaccia).

No matter what policemen usually do, what italian people say italian laws say, they have ZERO right to ask the ID to someone who did nothing to deserve police intervention towards his person. International treaties establish it. It's about the principle of innocence. Any person who has a minimal knowledge of continental law knows about Kelsen Pyramid of Norms.

If they actually had any right to ask Morrissey the ID, they would have detained him when he did not produce it. Bet your money.

For the person who traduced the article from the newspaper, the web article doesn't say "Apparently, both the policeman (whose photo was published) and the italian police want to sue Morrissey, the articles concludes. The officer claim he never pointed the gun."

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli...ci_-170113221/?ref=RHPPRB-BS-I0-C4-P1-S1.4-T1

If La Repubblica printed it they deleted those words in the web edition. Presumably because: 1) a gun doesn't need to be pointed to be threatening, 2) the public threat of suing someone could be considered a crime under these circumstances (art. 612 Codice Penale - Delitto di Minaccia).

Your post contains so much bullshit it is almost funny.

Your post contains so much bullshit it is almost funny.

Don't laugh too much. It could happen to you. You never know if you or your family could have a close encounter with a "nervous" policeman. I hope not.

Don't laugh too much. It could happen to you. You never know if you or your family can have a close encounter with a "nervous" policeman.

Show me where the police actually pointed his gun or even pulled it out. Evidence please.

And in Italy Police can ask you for ID for ANY reason. Hell, a security guard on a train can, and it is a criminal offense to refuse.

CONTROLLO DOCUMENTI, IDENTIFICAZIONE E FERMO. Google is your friend. Ask Morrissey.

Another ball-washer with ZERO knowledge of state laws, talking out their ass.

Don't laugh too much. It could happen to you. You never know if you or your family could have a close encounter with a "nervous" policeman. I hope not.
But countthree, respectfully to you because I know you are passionate about this issue---it does happen all the time.

When I break a traffic law, armed police pull me over and asks for a license, registration, and proof of insurance. Some police are pleasant...some are gruff and loud. There are terrorism checkpoints, sobriety checkpoints, identification checkpoints all over the world, especially in busy areas, tourist areas, during holidays, etc. This past weekend in Boston I went through all three, plus a state police checkpoint searching vehicles traveling near the New Hampshire border for illegal fireworks (in the states, fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts but legal in New Hampshire, apparently).

The policeman in this case was doing his job, plus serving on a terrorism checkpoint. Did he need to yell? No. Was he in bounds doing his job. Yes. No civil rights were violated.

"Apparently, both the policeman (whose photo was published) and the italian police want to sue Morrissey, the articles concludes."

Good. They deserved to be sued. They called for him to be fired and they named and shamed him on social media, why? So fans could torment him? This man was doing his job. They lied about why they were pulled over (omitting is lying), so what else are they lying about?

They obviously have no concern for public safety, the well being of this officer, nor do they feel they need to be open and honest with their fans. So sad. So very, very sad.

This is not the first time they have named and shamed people who don't let them get their own way.
They have previous form. Steve Barnett was exposed because he pulled the plug out and also more recently a tour backer pulled out and once again they posted the companies contact details and names.
I guess it must be really tough and humiliating when you're coming back down the ladder, they deserve everything that gets thrown at them.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

This is not the first time they have named and shamed people who don't let them get their own way.
They have previous form. Steve Barnett was exposed because he pulled the plug out and also more recently a tour backer pulled out and once again they posted the companies contact details and names.
I guess it must be really tough and humiliating when you're coming back down the ladder, they deserve everything that gets thrown at them.

Yeah I made reference to those incidents in previous posts. It certainly is Morrissey's M.O to shame and bully people, and I hope this time he is at least accountable for it.

You know Benny, you are a troll, albeit a clever one, but the reason I never disregard your posts is because your posts are actually truth. While I came hear to read about news and tour dates (I am Canadian, so I guess that's not really relevant now), now I just come hear out of fondness from my past, a habit going on 21 years now. I am one of Morrissey-Solo's original 1997 members.

Sadly, Morrissey is now a joke. I do feel sorry for the few people here so obsessed with him that they actually justify his behaviour, as if Morrissey will somehow show up at their door and hug and befriend them. News flash: He won't. He cares about money and his own happiness, et al. He just lied to everyone, again. He cancelled more tour dates, again (and based on a lie). Anyone with a modicum of intelligence now must assume that everything that comes from his mouth is utter bullshit.

Sam's instagram picture today explains why the police didn't 'terrorise' him - probably fear!
20170706_210907.png

Nepotism is all fine and dandy, but it's nothing compared to a decent PR manager.
Regards,
FWD.

But countthree, respectfully to you because I know you are passionate about this issue---it does happen all the time.

When I break a traffic law, armed police pull me over and asks for a license, registration, and proof of insurance. Some police are pleasant...some are gruff and loud. There are terrorism checkpoints, sobriety checkpoints, identification checkpoints all over the world, especially in busy areas, tourist areas, during holidays, etc. This past weekend in Boston I went through all three, plus a state police checkpoint searching vehicles traveling near the New Hampshire border for illegal fireworks (in the states, fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts but legal in New Hampshire, apparently).

The policeman in this case was doing his job, plus serving on a terrorism checkpoint. Did he need to yell? No. Was he in bounds doing his job. Yes. No civil rights were violated.

Kenmare, I don't understand how you can't see the difference. He was not driving the car. The driver was identified, and they were delayed just because the driver's companion didn't have his ID. Now, if you people believe terrorism justifies everything, you are wrong. I am the first to ask more protection against terrorism, but this is exactly the wrong and counterproductive way of doing it. This, Guantanamo and other stupid and malevolent things.

One of the main human right was violated: the principle of innocence. If that means nothing for contemporary people, centuries of struggle and sacrifice fighting for human rights are being wasted because of stupidity. What more scares me is people don't know their basic human rights or civil rights. I can admit bad things happen all the time, but I can't admit people believe those things are correct just because they happen. Like slavery, corruption, murder, abuse, etc. We all must trace a line in our heads and put in one side what it actually is and in the other side what should be. If not, what is the point of anything?

Did he need to yell? LOL! Maybe he did. Emoting at a high volume is also a common trait of the culture. The same applies to mny other cultures. Thank you for being the first person to have wherewithal to unleash the term "civil rights". Fully local and completely legal, barring international treaties which anyone who can find the time to post bullshit on a forum could take the effort to read.

I'm betting that 90% of the ignorant, ball-washing, whiny little apologist bitches on here weren't even alive in 1983.

Yeah I made reference to those incidents in previous posts. It certainly is Morrissey's M.O to shame and bully people, and I hope this time he is at least accountable for it.

You know Benny, you are a troll, albeit a clever one, but the reason I never disregard your posts is because your posts are actually truth. While I came hear to read about news and tour dates (I am Canadian, so I guess that's not really relevant now), now I just come hear out of fondness from my past, a habit going on 21 years now. I am one of Morrissey-Solo's original 1997 members.

Sadly, Morrissey is now a joke. I do feel sorry for the few people here so obsessed with him that they actually justify his behaviour, as if Morrissey will somehow show up at their door and hug and befriend them. News flash: He won't. He cares about money and his own happiness, et al. He just lied to everyone, again. He cancelled more tour dates, again (and based on a lie). Anyone with a modicum of intelligence now must assume that everything that comes from his mouth is utter bullshit.

Johnny Barleycorn summed him all up in a post many years ago.
He posted that if he saw Steven walking towards him on the pavement he would cross over the road to avoid him.
It set the alarm bells off for me.
Thanks for the thumbs up as well.

You are as much a dick as Morrissey has become.

No , you are one. I can't be one, I am a woman. And if I have become anything, i care? Um,no.
Police are corrupt, he is lying! You have no idea if he is telling the truth. What kind of dumb police respond to a traffic stop.

Lighten up too

No , you are one. I can't be one, I am a woman. And if I have become anything, i care? Um,no.
Police are corrupt, he is lying! You have no idea if he is telling the truth. What kind of dumb police respond to a traffic stop.

Lighten up too

Do one you pussy, there are no pictures of a crowd of a hundred as he claims, he has become a complete fool and desperately tries to cling onto to fame through bullshit like this.

Iggy knows a lot about car insurance. A lot. And he knows how this kind of thing can affect premiums. So I think you can count him out.

This isn't really anything to do with rock 'n' roll high-jinx, though. It's about bullshitting and bullying, plus the inability to learn from experience that these tales always unravel within 24 hours. None of that is cool or edgy.

Please. Those pictures of the police officer being disrespected by the pistols for doing his job have been published again and again and never have I heard it said the man was being bullied or that they were dicks. At least not by fans some of whom reside on this site. its about treating similar behavior equally. Some people do not like morrissey as he is not in any way humble and can be seen sometimes rightfully as dramatic and a bit full of himself and people use that to color every every action negatively or to exaggerate his bahavior. It's done in the same way others apologize for things he's said and done that do deserve condemnation such as his comments on the Chinese being a subspecies. in this situation I do not disagree with him (morrissey). Once the police saw sams id they knew they had nothing to do with terrorism. He should have received his ticket and they been on there way. He, morrissey, didn't do anything to warrant having his is checked imo and I admire his stance to being asked. The officer shouldn't have lost his cool as its part of here job to stay level headed in there interactions with the public and it's not wrong to hold them to this expectation. He could have just calmly arrested him if he had the grounds to do so. People should be allowed to post pictures of civil servants and be able to comment on how well they thought they were doing there job. People should be allowed to exist without being asked for there I'd and I admire people who resists these laws. I like many before me do believe in the rule of law but I also believe in civil disobedience and resistance to thing they find unjust and in this case I believe morrissey however smugly to be in the right and i think it the unhumble smugness that causes the negative reactions he gets and causes people to be somewhat hipocritical in there judgements. If it had been bob Dylan doing and saying the same in the same situation I don't think people would react the same way

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom