Morrissey and SER driving at high speed in wrong direction according to police - La Repubblica

Hey just so you know, here is the police version from the italian newspaper "La Repubblica":

Roma, Morrissey litiga col poliziotto in via del Corso. “Minacce e urla” - La Repubblica
"Poteva uccidermi - accusa la rockstar - impugnava una pistola. La replica della questura: "E' arrivato a forte velocità contromano"

di FEDERICA ANGELI

They claim Sam was driving on the wrong sense at "full speed" and that they stopped him - apparently scared for the threat of a car driving at full speed in the wrong direction - to ask for his documents first, and then Morrissey's.
The article continues:Morrissey was asked four times for a document, but instead of telling them he left the wallet in the hotel he told them he did not do anything and did not had to deliver his document.
Than Sam proceeded to take a photo of they guy (who in the meantime googled Morrissey and realised who he was) and told him "you're going to be famous".
Apparently, both the policeman (whose photo was published) and the italian police want to sue Morrissey, the articles concludes.
The officer claim he never pointed the gun.

Just translating, guys.

----------------

Adding the police statement (from a newspaper) I just found

«The car was proceding from Via della Frezza on the wrong direction, tuesday late afternoon, and came into a very crowded (because of the sale week shopping) via del corso. The agents on the "nibbio" motorbikes, who are regularly patrolling the historical center because of counterterrorism measures, did not hesitate to stop the car and ask the people on board for their id». According to the Questura after the first check «the policeman issued the ticket to the driver, who admitted his responsibility - according to the violations commited. But the other person - in other words the singer (exactly like this in the police memo - hilarious :)) - has been hostile since the beginning: an english citizen, he insisted saying he could not be forced to produce his ID or state his identity because he commited no felony, and was very surprised he wasn't recognised by the policemen. After some persistence the agents, who spoke english, allowed the person to call the hotel twice, thus learning the man's identity in order to run further checks even in the absence of an ID. During the checks the artist, bothered, shoot some pictures to the policeman threatening “you will become famous”».

(I don't know if the "artist" at the end is supposed to be morrissey or sam)

Sorry for the translation, but police statements are written in a strange funny language

Update:
SER has just written in his facebook page (comment in the same photo post) it was not him driving the car and he was not in italy at the moment. What the hell?

This is getting more and more ridicolous.

Sam Esty Rayner Photography:

"The Italian newspapers state, on behalf of Roma Polizia, that the driver of the car was Sam Esty Rayner.

Sam was not the driver; was not in the car; was not in Italy on the date of the incident.
"

Scan of print edition from Betta:

40318_morrissey_repbblica_scan.jpg

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a car crash of a career post-2008.

If Morrissey has cancelled the gigs provisionally booked for September where does that leave the album?

What a car crash of a career post-2008.

If Morrissey has cancelled the gigs provisionally booked for September where does that leave the album?

I guess Morrissey will get out of Dodge. If the album gets completed somewhere else, maybe there'll be a bonus track about a traffic cop who is the epitome of evil.

Last edited:
Italians are maniacs in traffic [so are lot and lots over the world] but a ride through the inner city of Rome is more spectular and dangerous than a racetrack, the daredevils are winners, strangely hardly heavy crashes. To come to the point, I think this is making a safe way to make the police act like they did nothing wrong.

Holding a gun asking for papers, for speeding:confused:

And finally the missing pieces I was stating there would be.....
The silence on this thread from those on yesterday's thread calling for the cop to be hung, calling him a pig, those crying and worried about ''poor, hard done to Morrissey who is clearly innocent'' etc etc blah blah will be deafening.

I guess Morrissey will get out of Dodge.

It sucks to be yelled at by the police. I had to attend an event at UMASS Boston a month ago, and was yelled at by a state police officer for driving at a high rate of speed in a university construction zone (the conference had ended, and I was impatient to get to home). I was yelled at further for not wearing my seatbelt. But I chose the apologetic route, and got away quickly and with a tip to avoid traffic snarls. Did the cop have to yell at me? No. But I was in the wrong, and that's what caused the whole misadventure...not the cop--me.

It's too bad...the whole thing is too bad. M. has always seemed happy and at ease in Italy, and the band seems to have a great time as well. To go sour on an entire country because of a stubborn refusal on Sam's part to admit wrongdoing....it's tragic.

Italians are maniacs in traffic [so are lot and lots over the world] but a ride through the inner city of Rome is more spectular and dangerous than a racetrack, the daredevils are winners, strangely hardly heavy crashes. To come to the point, I think this is making a safe way to make the police act like they did nothing wrong.

Holding a gun asking for papers, for speeding:confused:
I agree with you about crazy Italian drivers, completely...but the spot was also a terrorism checkpoint, according to the article, because it is a densely populated tourist area.

To go sour on an entire country because of a stubborn refusal on Sam's part to admit wrongdoing....it's tragic.

tbf, all Sam has done wrong is go along with his uncle's bullshitting. OK, driving on the wrong side of the road is technically wrong, but it happens when English people are driving abroad. Apart from that, it seems that Sam was asked for his ID and provided his ID. It was Moz who did the whole "do you know who I am, I'll destroy you" routine.

Just a small point, but after experiencing Italian 'drivers', I can't see speeding being a real issue.
Most Italian driving appears to involve pointing your vehicle where you want, shouting a lot and holding the horn down for excessive periods. The scooter drivers are even more unpredictable. No huge stereotyping implied - just physically observed behaviour.
Officious Policeman meets misog and rattle antlers - end of story really.
Regards,
FWD.

Everyone who spends their holidays in Italy knows that (Italian scooter drivers? - dangerous!), but, not the SoLow wild bunch. Anyway, Morrissey was right, he did not commit felony. And Sam admit his. So. Police was [URL='https://www.google.hr/search?client=firefox-b&q=unnecessary&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir3bKr7_TUAhUkCpoKHXfYBHsQBQghKAA&biw=1366&bih=646']unnecessary vile, and Italian police is specially vile and vain (historically, because of mafia agenda etc ...). In Italy,
[URL='https://www.google.hr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixmO7V7_TUAhWqO5oKHTQZDeAQFgggMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fus.sagepub.com%2Fen-us%2Fnam%2Fit-could-happen-to-anyone%2Fbook240330&usg=AFQjCNGkeMVjIgqheRuSn4ldxokD3wa8IQ']It Could Happen to Anyone
.[/URL][/URL]

REALLY? :lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf:

Morrissey was extorted to show "papers" and detained during 35 minutes because of his nephew's traffic offence? Is that a valid justification emanated from an official institution? NO. This is not serious dear people. Please respect HUMAN RIGHTS and MAKE JUSTICE.

Last edited:
tbf, all Sam has done wrong is go along with his uncle's bullshitting. OK, driving on the wrong side of the road is technically wrong, but it happens when English people are driving abroad. Apart from that, it seems that Sam was asked for his ID and provided his ID. It was Moz who did the whole "do you know who I am, I'll destroy you" routine.
I do hear you for sure, but Sam was speeding as well (which happens all the time in Italy, too). It was the perfect storm.
I'm pissed at Sam for inflaming the whole thing, with creating the xenophobic meme, stoking the fires on social media, etc. Apparently (according to the Corriere Della Sera, at least), M. walked away from the whole scene, and the police officer let him do so. At this point, M should demand that Sam stfu, take one on the chin, and make nice.

It's too bad...the whole thing is too bad. M. has always seemed happy and at ease in Italy, and the band seems to have a great time as well. To go sour on an entire country because of a stubborn refusal on Sam's part to admit wrongdoing....it's tragic.

I think Sam did. Everyone here is assuming Sam screwed up but it's not the case; I've updated the post with the police statement; apparently Sam recognised he was in the wrong and took the ticket; d problems began to arise when Morrissey refused to identify himself.

I know being yelled at by the police sucks. It makes you feel very vulnerable and scared. I don't know what really happened but as I stated I know italian police can be particularly shitty and I have no doubt they were unpleasant and arrogant. Nobody understands until it happens to them.

I am sorry if he's going away (he's literally at 4/5 km from my house and I love just the idea of it) but this is not the Italy he lived in once. He has some touristic idealised version in his mind of what this country is, and I am glad if he's over it, even if it means he won't be back. Just hope he'll finish whatever he's come to do! I'd love to hear a song about Raffaele Barone.

I do hear you for sure, but Sam was speeding as well (which happens all the time in Italy, too). It was the perfect storm.
I'm pissed at Sam for inflaming the whole thing, with creating the xenophobic meme, stoking the fires on social media, etc. Apparently (according to the Corriere Della Sera, at least), M. walked away from the whole scene, and the police officer let him do so. At this point, M should demand that Sam stfu, take one on the chin, and make nice.

Surely you don't believe that Sam made that post without Morrissey's direction? And he didn't do the xenophobic meme, I think that was someone here.

REALLY? :lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf:

Morrissey was extorted to show "papers" and detained during 35 minutes because of his nephew's traffic offence? Is that a valid justification emanated from an official institution? NO. This is not serious dear people. Please respect HUMAN RIGHTS and MAKE JUSTICE.

Unless the newspaper articles are all wrong, the situation was amplified because the speeding/wrong way driving offences happened to take place at a terrorism checkpoint. There have been many instances (recently, as always) of lunatics driving cars into heavily populated tourist/shopping areas, and the area in question in Rome is both. All told, Sam and M. got off easily.

Make a duplicate of album and ship offsite. I don't trust European police. What a load of crap! Great publicity though.

Ehm.... Please read this
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/italy.html

Great policeman!

Art. 651
Anyone, who is required by a public official in the exercise of his duties (1) refuses to give any indication of his personal identity, status, or other personal qualities (2) (3), shall be punished with the arrest until A month or a fine of up to two hundred and fifty euros.

My girlfriend knocked herself crossing the road in Lecce. Everyone was very concerned despite the traffic although my lack of Italian didn't help.
For mad traffic and drivers try being in a south East Asian city. Bangkok and Colombo are amongst the maddest experiences in my life. Especially when you're in a tuk-tuk.

As for Morrissey -he's a bit of an arse nowadays. Why would an Italian policeman know who he is? Don't know whose version of events are correct and don't really care although cancelling all your Italian shows due to a disagreement with one copper is a bit OTT. And get rid of your nephew. He needs to stand on his own two feet

Surely you don't believe that Sam made that post without Morrissey's direction? And he didn't do the xenophobic meme, I think that was someone here.
My mistake on the meme.
I think Sam can do stupid all by himself, judging from his "creative" productions. I don't think he needs his uncle's help in that regard. :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom