Morrissey at the Movies (London, Aug. 12th - 13th, 2017)

• Thread starter Morrissey at the Movies
  • Start date
Hello!

Following on from the release of Mark Gill's Morrissey biopic England is Mine, I've programmed a weekend of films at the Genesis cinema in Mile End, London. These are films that have inspired the artwork and lyrics of The Smiths or that are, purely and simply some of Morrissey's favourite films.

The Collector (1965)
Orphee (1950)
Rocco and his Brothers (1960)
East of Eden (1955)
Charlie Bubbles (1967)

The schedule of films is available on our Facebook page, where you can also book tickets.

During this weekend, we will also be screening England is Mine with a Q&A with the director, Mark Gill, and there'll be a chance to see the 1987 South Bank Show episode about The Smiths for free, followed by a DJ set in the bar.

Our £25 weekend ticket, entitling you to all of the paid for screenings and free events is available here.

It would be really great if some of you could make it!

Lashings of love,
Mark
(Morrissey at the Movies)

40461_morrissey_at_the_movies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting choices, no 'Taste of Honey' I guess too easy of a pick. Though, glad 'Eden' was picked over 'Rebel', 'Eden' being one of the better if not best of the Dean films.

The curators haven't done their research very well. Morrissey never liked The Collector. He used the Stamp photo for a sleeve because he liked the image and Stamp as an actor. But he even said at the time: "the film itself is quite sexist and really quite questionable. I'm not a Collector fan by any means."

The curators haven't done their research very well. Morrissey never liked The Collector. He used the Stamp photo for a sleeve because he liked the image and Stamp as an actor. But he even said at the time: "the film itself is quite sexist and really quite questionable. I'm not a Collector fan by any means."

'These are films that have inspired the artwork and lyrics of The Smiths or that are, purely and simply some of Morrissey's favourite films.'

do you have a link to that interview? would like to read the rest.

Last edited:
Hello!

Following on from the release of Mark Gill's Morrissey biopic England is Mine, I've programmed a weekend of films at the Genesis cinema in Mile End, London. These are films that have inspired the artwork and lyrics of The Smiths or that are, purely and simply some of Morrissey's favourite films.

The Collector (1965)
Orphee (1950)
Rocco and his Brothers (1960)
East of Eden (1955)
Charlie Bubbles (1967)

The schedule of films is available on our Facebook page, where you can also book tickets.

During this weekend, we will also be screening England is Mine with a Q&A with the director, Mark Gill, and there'll be a chance to see the 1987 South Bank Show episode about The Smiths for free, followed by a DJ set in the bar.

Our £25 weekend ticket, entitling you to all of the paid for screenings and free events is available here.

It would be really great if some of you could make it!

Lashings of love,
Mark
(Morrissey at the Movies)

40461_morrissey_at_the_movies.jpg

An astonishing event at what is remarkable value. I wish this every success.

Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, The Leather Boys and the wonderful Brighton Rock should probably be included.
One thing that Moz definitely exposed me to as a kid and I'm grateful for: kitchen sink dramas.
Regards,
FWD.

Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, The Leather Boys and the wonderful Brighton Rock should probably be included.
One thing that Moz definitely exposed me to as a kid and I'm grateful for: kitchen sink dramas.
Regards,
FWD.

yes, the list endless. I would have included

the powerful film 'Flame In The Streets' 1961 ...

from Wiki...

'Racial tensions manifest themselves at home, work and on the streets during Bonfire Night in the burgeoning West Indian community of post-war Britain. Trades Union leader Jacko Palmer fights for the rights of a black worker but struggles with the news that his own daughter, Kathie, is planning to marry a West Indian, much against his own logic and the hysterical prejudice of his wife Nell.'

or this amazing film... 'VICTIM' starring the great Dirk Bogarde

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_(1961_film)

Good concept, fun logo, but where are those Leather Boys??

here ! :)

and while I'm at it, for those who ( I dare say) haven't seen this yet ...

A TASTE OF HONEY 1961

Last edited:
'We are the Lambeth Boys' 'Up the Junction' 'Poor Cow'. 'The Family Way' FTW. As much as you can use the internet term 'FTW' in relation to old kitchen sink dramas.

I prefer Norbert's later work with the likes of Dame Anna Neagly-Weagley and Burt Lanky-Wanky-Ancaster.

I'll give this event a miss I think. I don't think I could bear another Dunkirk style whitewash. It's a well known fact the Masai were farming in Didsbury from the early seventeenth century, yet are they represented? No.

Shameful.

Streets upon streets upon streets, proper Northern kitchen sink tha knows !

#we:heartssuit:Rome/BaroneRAffaele

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

More than just 'kitchen sink dramas'

another favorite of M's is..... the powerful film...

THE WORLD THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL 1959

from Wiki ...

'The World, the Flesh and the Devil is a 1959 American science fiction doomsday film written and directed by Ranald MacDougall. The film stars Harry Belafonte, who was then at the peak of his film career. The film is set in a post-apocalyptic world with very few human survivors.'

here's some clips....

Last edited:
looks like a great event and for 25 quid,costs ten quid to see any film these days.hope its a success.
in twenty five years someone will do the same for justin Bieber and it will be pish like avengers assembly and guardians and iron man,real kitchen sink dramas to get your teeth into.

An astonishing event at what is remarkable value. I wish this every success.
Exactly. Great value! If I lived there I'd go cos I'm sure there will be hardcore fans at it too. Could turn into a proper film marathon followed by ale marathon.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom