Morrissey at the Movies (London, Aug. 12th - 13th, 2017)

• Thread starter Morrissey at the Movies
  • Start date
Hello!

Following on from the release of Mark Gill's Morrissey biopic England is Mine, I've programmed a weekend of films at the Genesis cinema in Mile End, London. These are films that have inspired the artwork and lyrics of The Smiths or that are, purely and simply some of Morrissey's favourite films.

The Collector (1965)
Orphee (1950)
Rocco and his Brothers (1960)
East of Eden (1955)
Charlie Bubbles (1967)

The schedule of films is available on our Facebook page, where you can also book tickets.

During this weekend, we will also be screening England is Mine with a Q&A with the director, Mark Gill, and there'll be a chance to see the 1987 South Bank Show episode about The Smiths for free, followed by a DJ set in the bar.

Our £25 weekend ticket, entitling you to all of the paid for screenings and free events is available here.

It would be really great if some of you could make it!

Lashings of love,
Mark
(Morrissey at the Movies)

40461_morrissey_at_the_movies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like a great event and for 25 quid,costs ten quid to see any film these days.hope its a success.
in twenty five years someone will do the same for justin Bieber and it will be pish like avengers assembly and guardians and iron man,real kitchen sink dramas to get your teeth into.
Like a FOOL i went to see Spiderman and even waited for the end credits to see the stupid extra bit with Captain Hamerica. It shames me to admit that.

Good concept, fun logo, but where are those Leather Boys??
Yesh and what about 'Kes'? I'm sure Moz must have seen that sickeningly sad film at some stage.
On a positive note the dvd trilogy of 'Red Riding' arrived from Amazon today. Bloody brilliant depressing northern gloom.

that was a good interview disco,but didn't Morrissey meet davalos or am I thinking of someone else,says in the interview he never met him.

that was a good interview disco,but didn't Morrissey meet davalos or am I thinking of someone else,says in the interview he never met him.
I am having the same mis-remember, if it is that, gordyboy. In the Autobio, or somewhere, didn't M say Davalos gave him a ring which he didn't take off for years? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I am having the same mis-remember, if it is that, gordyboy. In the Autobio, or somewhere, didn't M say Davalos gave him a ring which he didn't take off for years? Or am I thinking of someone else?
That is correct.

yip kenmare,definitely in auto and Morrissey says after 3 years I wondered why it was still there.

Radio 4, The Film Programme right now is exactly this thread

yip kenmare,definitely in auto and Morrissey says after 3 years I wondered why it was still there.

Aaah, rereading Autobiography at the moment. Took my own (mis)information from a Davalos obit which quoted him saying he saw Morrissey at a party once and he didn't recognise him.

Thank you for everyone's words of support and film suggestions so far. I had a tight turnaround to put this together and a small number of screening slots, and wanted to do something a bit different to the obvious kitchen sink stuff.

That being said, I'm open to programming more of Morrissey's favourite films anywhere that will have me.

Thank you for everyone's words of support and film suggestions so far. I had a tight turnaround to put this together and a small number of screening slots, and wanted to do something a bit different to the obvious kitchen sink stuff.

That being said, I'm open to programming more of Morrissey's favourite films anywhere that will have me.

You are doing a great job and I would attend if it was possible.
Critisism is always possible of course, mainly about omissions, films that were named by Moz and he named many!
I hope you can go on with your "task", and I can understand it is an inspiring one.
Lots of success !

Last edited:
Morrissey at the movies well done for doing this,as a film fan for over forty years it is almost impossible to see these films anymore on the big screen,these films had real depth to them which you don't see anymore.
p.s. on a sidenote about films,,,martin scorcese went to Hollywood and asked for five million dollars to make the Irishman and was turned down,couple of twats asked for a hundred million dollars to make the emoji movie and left with a wheelbarrow full of cash.that is the reason Hollywood isn't about film anymore.

Here's a free event as part of the weekend of screenings -

SWEET AND TENDER HOOLIGAN: MORRISSEY AS PROVOCATEUR - FREE TALK

Anita Sethi (journalist, writer and critic) joins Dorian Lynskey (music critic for GQ) join Morrissey at the Movies programmer Mark Donaldson to discuss the joys and difficulties in being a fan of a cultural icon who is no stranger to provocation.

[I'm guessing this Dorian Lynskey is the same person who wrote one of those Guardian articles prior to England is Mine's release]

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom