Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me' - The Guardian

Re: Morrissey: criticisms of debut novel are 'an attack against me'

If there was a broad sweep of opinions in critical views, then Morrissey should be able to comfortably dismiss it as a few people 'not getting it'. But when every single serious published critic shares the opinion that what you have written is bleedin' awful (I haven't read a single positive review of note - and no, anonymous Amazon reviews don't count) , it might be time to let some air out of that swollen head and accept you are not the greatest writer since Shakespeare.

I wonder if the "anonymous" person who posted the link to this story is the same person who posted in the comments section below the Guardian article as 'LucreziaBorgiax' ? As another commenter notes of the 'LucreziaBorgiax' post, "I recognise the execrable prose style from a certain website".

of course it is. its the creepy gay dude who runs that blue rose blog. he posts to himself over there under different screen names to make it look like people actually read the stupid blog. let me peek into the' loveless go go bar and check what i posted there under a different name' etc etc. ponderous blog.
and hes here as numerous mozbots. probably talks to moz in his deluded mind.

Francos films are ok. He isn't the new James Dean though, he has no edge
He's just another Ethan Hawk. Let's be truthful Franco would love to work with Mozzer or Johnny none want anything to do with him. That leaves the desperate two Andy and Mike He doesn't get it, he has a very American college take on life and The Smiths. Narrow minded boy

Actually, I very much like at least two of his movies. Great Expectations and Boyhood were very good IMHO and definitely worth a watch on a cold winter's night.

every character in that 'book' is morrissey so its disingenuous to state the criticism is not leveled at the book but at himself as there is no difference. its all about mcdonald's, the royals etc.

its a brutal read. most purchasers had to return partly unread.

you cant compare ethan hawke and franco with moz. both have had much success while moz currently resides in no mans record/bookland reduced to gigs in faraway remote hardly inhabited lands. franco has movie deals, book deals and now... a record deal.

Is it just me or are these once reputable papers grasping at straws by taking sentences out of other interviews? I know many news outlets get their news from Reuters, but a paper like The Guardian making a story out of a quote from an e-mail interview to a Chilean website sounds like a barrel being scraped.

Is it just me or are these once reputable papers grasping at straws by taking sentences out of other interviews? I know many news outlets get their news from Reuters, but a paper like The Guardian making a story out of a quote from an e-mail interview to a Chilean website sounds like a barrel being scraped.

The Guardian used to be a very good newspaper, but now like the others in the digital age, it's struggling to make ends meet.

:thumb: agree. It's almost like some sites who take a little sentence or word or picture from an mistranslated or not interview
or post and misread it or twist it to fit their agenda. Agenda of 'hate' OR agenda of 'love' some misuse or read into it what they like. Too quick in assuming this or that.

As for the 'paper', It also sounds like The Guardian is saying ' Look at me! look at me! We made HIM angry ! He noticed us ! We win !' BUT .... they do not. :straightface:

Last edited:
it was just a brief blurb, nothing major. it was posted verbatim word for word so i dont know why the hysteria against the press, moz said it.

i think it for sure clear that he wants commercial success but i also think it clear that he has competing principals that he holds just as dear and this creates conflict and tension within himself. hes very vocal about this i believe, the conflict

:thumb: thank you.

It's disingenuous because he completely sidestepped the issue of criticisms against the book that have nothing to do with disliking Morrissey.

It's disingenuous because he completely sidestepped the issue of criticisms against the book that have nothing to do with disliking Morrissey.

Yes. Whether by accident or design, by claiming that the critics are using the book as a vehicle to express a dislike for him, it rallies the Morrissey Taliban/I.S. to come to his defence, whether or not THEY have actually read/liked the book.

(I bought the book, genuinely wanted to like it but was unable to finish it).

Would Picasso have allowed an 'editor' to tell him to add a bit of paint here, or change something there? No, of course not, his paintings were HIS art, to be accepted warts and all. List of the Lost is Morrissey's art, warts and all. As to whether you, I, or anyone likes his art is irrelevant - it is him! Can you understand that?

Brenda x

Bad example. Picasso excelled at painting, fine arts. For Morrissey, it's music/singing. It's rather like as if Picasso, at the age og 56, experimented by releasing a beat record. Chances are it would have been equally disastrous as Morrissey's book.

The Guardian were fed the story by @TheRatsBack via twitter. He tweeted the Chilean interview link to the LotL Guardian reviewer, Michael Hann, who then passed it on to the office junior, Tshepo Mokoena. Mokoena cobbled her 'Attack against me' piece together within an hour, and The Guardian had their story. As you say, it is barrel scraping journalism, just as Hann's initial review was nothing more than a bid for 15 minutes of fame... and utterly irrelevant.

Debs
Dallas
November 2015

The Guardian were fed the story by @TheRatsBack via twitter. He tweeted the Chilean interview link to the LotL Guardian reviewer, Michael Hann, who then passed it on to the office junior, Tshepo Mokoena. Mokoena cobbled her 'Attack against me' piece together within an hour, and The Guardian had their story. As you say, it is barrel scraping journalism, just as Hann's initial review was nothing more than a bid for 15 minutes of fame... and utterly irrelevant.

Debs
Dallas
November 2015

No you're not. You're Simon Wratten. Now shut your gob, you shit-stirring wanker.

Bad example. Picasso excelled at painting, fine arts. For Morrissey, it's music/singing. It's rather like as if Picasso, at the age og 56, experimented by releasing a beat record. Chances are it would have been equally disastrous as Morrissey's book.

Disastrous for who? You not liking something doesn't make it disastrous, it simply means YOU don't like it! You are missing the point. If Picasso released a beat record, it would be HIS beat record, i.e. HIS art, and as to whether everybody or nobody liked it, would be irrelevant; it would STILL be HIS art. List of the Lost is part of who Morrissey is. It is un-edited because it HAD to be un-edited. The next book HAS to be un-edited too if we are to truly see the real Morrissey. Adele was on telly yesterday, and told a story of how her management/record company no longer allow her to tweet unless they okay the tweets first. This removes ANY possibility of us seeing the REAL Adele; which some might say is a good thing, but the reality is, she has become the property of the suits. Morrissey spouts on about everyone being controlled in this day and age, and he is right. A true artist MUST be true to himself, and stuff what ANYBODY thinks. If LotL doesn't sell enough copies, then Penguin will not want Morrissey's next book. If that is the case, then I say GOOD. I don't want to see/hear Morrissey's art based purely on it's commercial success, I want to see/hear Morrissey and his work because the man has intrigued me, entertained me, stirred me, excited me, stimulated me, annoyed me, hurt me, inspired me etc for over 30 years. I liked List of the Lost because it IS Morrissey, not because it is the best piece of fiction ever written. Can you understand?

Brenda x

- - - Updated - - -

No you're not. You're Simon Wratten. Now shut your gob, you shit-stirring wanker.

Make me a cup of tea, bitch.

Debs
Dallas
November 2015

Disastrous for who? You not liking something doesn't make it disastrous, it simply means YOU don't like it! You are missing the point. If Picasso released a beat record, it would be HIS beat record, i.e. HIS art, and as to whether everybody or nobody liked it, would be irrelevant; it would STILL be HIS art. List of the Lost is part of who Morrissey is. It is un-edited because it HAD to be un-edited. The next book HAS to be un-edited too if we are to truly see the real Morrissey. Adele was on telly yesterday, and told a story of how her management/record company no longer allow her to tweet unless they okay the tweets first. This removes ANY possibility of us seeing the REAL Adele; which some might say is a good thing, but the reality is, she has become the property of the suits. Morrissey spouts on about everyone being controlled in this day and age, and he is right. A true artist MUST be true to himself, and stuff what ANYBODY thinks. If LotL doesn't sell enough copies, then Penguin will not want Morrissey's next book. If that is the case, then I say GOOD. I don't want to see/hear Morrissey's art based purely on it's commercial success, I want to see/hear Morrissey and his work because the man has intrigued me, entertained me, stirred me, excited me, stimulated me, annoyed me, hurt me, inspired me etc for over 30 years. I liked List of the Lost because it IS Morrissey, not because it is the best piece of fiction ever written. Can you understand?

Brenda x

And here's Wratten again, pretending to be someone else, having fed the story to the paper, is now taking up a defensive position. What an arsehole.

that gay dude from the blue rose society blog is totally nuts. hes unhinged. he has numerous conversations with himself, he argues with himself under different user names.
he has delusions of grandeur and thinks moz gives him signals. moz doesnt give signals to broke crazy funny looking dudes.

Disastrous for who? You not liking something doesn't make it disastrous, it simply means YOU don't like it! You are missing the point. If Picasso released a beat record, it would be HIS beat record, i.e. HIS art, and as to whether everybody or nobody liked it, would be irrelevant; it would STILL be HIS art. List of the Lost is part of who Morrissey is. It is un-edited because it HAD to be un-edited. The next book HAS to be un-edited too if we are to truly see the real Morrissey. Adele was on telly yesterday, and told a story of how her management/record company no longer allow her to tweet unless they okay the tweets first. This removes ANY possibility of us seeing the REAL Adele; which some might say is a good thing, but the reality is, she has become the property of the suits. Morrissey spouts on about everyone being controlled in this day and age, and he is right. A true artist MUST be true to himself, and stuff what ANYBODY thinks. If LotL doesn't sell enough copies, then Penguin will not want Morrissey's next book. If that is the case, then I say GOOD. I don't want to see/hear Morrissey's art based purely on it's commercial success *, I want to see/hear Morrissey and his work because the man has intrigued me, entertained me, stirred me, excited me, stimulated me, annoyed me, hurt me, inspired me etc for over 30 years. I liked List of the Lost because it IS Morrissey, not because it is the best piece of fiction ever written. Can you understand?#

Brenda x

- - - Updated - - -

Make me a cup of tea, bitch.

Debs
Dallas
November 2015

*You may think that and you are certainly entitled to think that. Morrissey clearly doesn't - why then does he insist on signing to a MAJOR record label, rather to a more artist friendly "indie" label. It hasn't done Neil Young, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Depeche Mode any commercial harm.

*You may think that and you are certainly entitled to think that. Morrissey clearly doesn't - why then does he insist on signing to a MAJOR record label, rather to a more artist friendly "indie" label. It hasn't done Neil Young, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Depeche Mode any commercial harm.

Why don't you add David Byrne and then you'll possibly have a list of all the most overrated 'alternative' artists of all time.

david byrne can actually play an instrument.
his output easily surprasses morrisseys. its not even close.
moz cant even play the bloody harmonica.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom