Morrissey helps Salford Lads' Club

you was in a strange town in a strange country with lots of strange people on a strange bike, you did brilliantly well under the circumstances!

love

Grim

I agree totally - at least you had a go! I intended to ride but bottled out at the last minute and helped with registration instead! Very brave all of you! :)

you was in a strange town in a strange country with lots of strange people on a strange bike, you did brilliantly well under the circumstances!

love

Grim

Well, if you had as much fun as this fellow did, then I believe it was all worthwhile:

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably could have been taken down quicker, had some right banana not put them up in such a Terry f***wit way:p

Jukebox Jury

I was just savouring the continual police interest. They were fast on our case eh? Remember the guy who nearly drove into the traffic on the opposite side of the road that were stopped at the lights, while giving us abuse, as the copls looked on? Hehe.

I thought by helping to put them up the night before, I'd know the route. Little did I know we were actually doing a tour of Manchester and not the planned route, or that the group would split up as we left the club and the man who said he'd keep up the rear disappeared into the distance.

The stop off at the pub at the Holy named church with Grim and his subsequent, ahem, short-cut to Strangeways added to making the route that bit more different still.

With the exception of myself and Grim, I do believe all others followed my signs perfectly.

I did notice one still up the next day. So, whoever was taking them down missed at least one.

happy new year to the old SLC cyclists & here's to many more!

love

Grim
P.s. did anyone notice the new pics I put up in the events bit?

Good one morrissey.I would have loved to come over for the charity bike ride im glad i saved my money now for the flight to london for the uk show

I was just savouring the continual police interest. They were fast on our case eh? Remember the guy who nearly drove into the traffic on the opposite side of the road that were stopped at the lights, while giving us abuse, as the copls looked on? Hehe.

Yes I remember all the interest from the police, they were everywhere. Some of those signs were placed extremely high and were hard to get down.
Great day though and I'm so glad I did it, worth every extra dollar I spent.

I'm too idealistic for either of them.

But what are your ideals? You have started entire threads giving the highest praises possible to the lowly likes of George Galloway. (Which is why I couldn't stop laughing when you went on about how Billy Bragg supported the "pro-war Oona King," just because you couldn't handle his rather intelligent op-ed that dared to question Morrissey, a pop star you literally worship as a God. Yeah, as if your hero Galloway is anti-war...).

I just saw this...did this just happen? Either way, yay for Moz! :)
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1029819_morrissey_helps_save_club

Morrissey helps save club
Exclusive Deborah Linton
28/12/2007

MUSIC legend Morrissey has given a £20,000 gift to the Salford club he made internationally famous.

Salford Lads' Club became a mecca for devoted fans of the singer, who fronted cult Manchester band The Smiths, when it featured in the iconic artwork for their 1986 album The Queen is Dead.

Volunteers who this year embarked on a £1 million campaign to restore and upgrade the iconic Edwardian building suffered a massive setback when thieves climbed scaffolding to steal guttering and lead from the roof in July.

Now the Davyhulme-born singer has given the fund to protect the grade II listed building a massive surprise boost.

Delighted

Project manager Leslie Holmes said: "Fans travel from all over the world to visit Salford Lads' Club and I think they will be as delighted as we are by Morrissey's support.

"I imagine that it is their dedication that made him aware of our cause and I hope that his contribution will now alert others to it.

"It is an unexpected and wonderful gesture particularly coming from a Manchester lad - it does a great deal for relations between the two cities."

Although the singer was never a member of the club, a room inside was dedicated to The Smiths in 2004 - its centenary year - for the international attention brought by the iconic black and white photo which is now part of the collection at London's National Portrait Gallery.

The red-brick club, in St Ignatius Walk, Ordsall, is used by around 200 members and is one of the few original lads' clubs still standing in England, remaining virtually unchanged with original fittings including a boxing ring, snooker rooms and a brick-walled gym with a viewing balcony.

It falls within a regeneration area and developers LPC Living helped raise the first £250,000 for crucial roofing work. But July's vandalism left the restoration fund short of the same amount after it was used to pay a security fund to monitor the site. Morrissey's donation pushes them back up to the £330,000 mark and will be used to put insulation into the roof and carry out work on the ceiling.

Club secretary Brian Ball added: "Morrissey and The Smiths made a big difference to Salford Lads' Club by having their picture taken outside in 1986. They were never members of the club and didn't even come from Salford, so it's a marvellous gesture by Morrissey to give support to the future of our club."

The fund benefited from another cash boost when property tycoon Chek Whyte gave money to the roof project after working undercover in the city as part of Channel 4's Secret Millionaire programme.

It's nice to see the pop star who has gone on about how great it is to be selfish, and who has tried to weasel out of paying bandmates substantial sums of money that he owes them, has done a selfless act. Well, not entirely selfless. He is benefitting from this donation in several ways, what with the press its receiving, the connection the place has with his most famous album, and that the place strokes his ego with a room dedicated to his former band. But I applaud what he did. Those who care about that creaky-old, outdated club (which hardly has any membership left) should pay up to preserve it instead of expecting taxpayers to do so.

But what are your ideals? You have started entire threads giving the highest praises possible to the lowly likes of George Galloway. (Which is why I couldn't stop laughing when you went on about how Billy Bragg supported the "pro-war Oona King," just because you couldn't handle his rather intelligent op-ed that dared to question Morrissey, a pop star you literally worship as a God. Yeah, as if your hero Galloway is anti-war...).

what do you ever do that is positive?

It's nice to see the pop star who has gone on about how great it is to be selfish, and who has tried to weasel out of paying bandmates substantial sums of money that he owes them, has done a selfless act. Well, not entirely selfless. He is benefitting from this donation in several ways, what with the press its receiving, the connection the place has with his most famous album, and that the place strokes his ego with a room dedicated to his former band. But I applaud what he did. Those who care about that creaky-old, outdated club (which hardly has any membership left) should pay up to preserve it instead of expecting taxpayers to do so.

surely you must have something slightly better to do with your life?

if you were telling the truth that you "only like Morrissey for the music", then why don't you just go & live on his songwriting partners websites. It's obvious by your right-whinging posts that you have no understanding of who, what or why some people love Morrissey, the artist & the person, so stop acting like a fascist & attempting to put them down for doing something they are happy with & feel it is worthwhile!

Grim

what do you ever do that is positive?

Well, you'd have to know me to know.

surely you must have something slightly better to do with your life?

if you were telling the truth that you "only like Morrissey for the music", then why don't you just go & live on his songwriting partners websites. It's obvious by your right-whinging posts that you have no understanding of who, what or why some people love Morrissey, the artist & the person, so stop acting like a fascist & attempting to put them down for doing something they are happy with & feel it is worthwhile!

Grim

I'm not right-wing, and I'm far less conservative than Morrissey. It's true I'm not a commie like you are, and frankly I don't see the big difference between a commie and a fascist except that the commies have killed more people. Keep sticking with that smelly and discredited ideology, though!

(If I ever actually said I only like Morrissey for his music, I must've been on something because that's not true. Though I do focus a lot more on the music than the celebrity than I used to. Celebrity worship is something I now feel embarassed to have been overly caught up in when I was younger. Nowadays I'm more interested in, for example, what kinds of birds I can attract to my bird feeders.)

Last edited:
Well, you'd have to know me to know.

I'm not right-wing, and I'm far less conservative than Morrissey. It's true I'm not a commie like you are, and frankly I don't see the big difference between a commie and a fascist except that the commies have killed more people. Keep sticking with that smelly and descredited ideology, though!

(If I ever actually said I only like Morrissey for his music, I must've been on something because that's not true. Though I do focus a lot more on the music than the celebrity than I used to. Celebrity worship is something I now feel embarassed to have been overly caught up in when I was younger. Nowadays I'm more interested in, for example, what kinds of birds I can attract to my bird feeders.)

Commie? ....... Commie? did you just use the word commie? Are you typing from 1976?

Back
Top Bottom