"Morrissey inks memoir deal with Penguin Classics" - The Guardian

Link posted by intlplayboy / Tumblr:

Morrissey inks memoir deal with Penguin Classics
- The Guardian

Waterstones predicts the Smiths frontman's forthcoming Autobiography will be a top seller at Christmas

Excerpt:

Although the book has been a long time coming, a representative for Waterstones, Jon Howells, predicts that the memoir will be a success this Christmas: "He's a contrary, controversial character, and his is arguably the most interesting untold story yet to emerge from the 80s generation of British music heroes. The announcement may have not been as smooth as the publisher would have hoped, but ultimately fans just want to read it, and we expect Autobiography to be one of this Christmas's top sellers at Waterstones."

While Penguin Classics is usually an imprint for work by long-beloved (and long-dead) members of the literary canon, the publishing house is a "natural fit" for Morrissey, a Penguin spokesperson said in 2011. With the Independent reporting that the contract "hinged" on whether the memoir would be declared a Classic, Penguin's rep explained: "[It] could be published as a Penguin Classic because it is a classic in the making."

See also:

Morrissey's autobiography: design your own front cover - The Guardian. Link posted by Uncleskinny.

Morrissey's memoir now has a confirmed release date – but can you create a better cover for it than the official Penguin design?

Moz negotiates a contract declaring his book a classic.

The strange thing about the whole "Penguin Classics" thing is that it was obviously a joke by Morrissey. If you listen to the Front Row interview he chuckles away at it. It seems somewhere along the line he thought "yeah why not, let's see this joke through to the end" and went with it, and like most of Morrissey's sarcastic tone, it has gone over the heads of many. It's also mad because it means Penguin are releasing it as an 8.99 paperback, rather than as a 16.99 hardback with photos like most memoirs are published.

I mean, not even in the Modern Classics. The actual Penguin Classics, among Sappho and Aeschylus. Every other Penguin Classic has an Author Chronology - a full one because they've all lived and died as the books are usually centuries old - and a long academic introduction. But in this case? How can there be an introduction outlining the history and critical interpretations to a 21st Century memoir by a guy who's really a first time author? It's lunacy they agreed, it baffles me.

He must have connections...:cool:

There's not much mystery to this. Either Morrissey offered Penguin first refusal on condition that they used the "Penguin Classics" imprint, or they approached him with "Penguin Classics" as a carrot, having heard his fantasizing about it a couple of years ago. Morrissey is obsessed by what imprint he is on (Attack, Major Minor, Liberty). Staff at Penguin have to resolve a dilemma between possibly selling out the integrity of the Classic brand and publishing something that sells more copies between now and Christmas than everything else in their catalogue put together and times by ten. In the end, everyone goes home happy and large amounts of money are made.

The strange thing about the whole "Penguin Classics" thing is that it was obviously a joke by Morrissey. If you listen to the Front Row interview he chuckles away at it. It seems somewhere along the line he thought "yeah why not, let's see this joke through to the end" and went with it, and like most of Morrissey's sarcastic tone, it has gone over the heads of many. It's also mad because it means Penguin are releasing it as an 8.99 paperback, rather than as a 16.99 hardback with photos like most memoirs are published.

I mean, not even in the Modern Classics. The actual Penguin Classics, among Sappho and Aeschylus. Every other Penguin Classic has an Author Chronology - a full one because they've all lived and died as the books are usually centuries old - and a long academic introduction. But in this case? How can there be an introduction outlining the history and critical interpretations to a 21st Century memoir by a guy who's really a first time author? It's lunacy they agreed, it baffles me.

Yes, when he first mentioned it, I thought he was joking! I can't believe it's really happening. I'm so surprised.

I was also thinking that it's a missed opportunity to sell hardcover editions, that part was surprising.

I am interested to hear what the non-Moz world thinks of this. I wonder if the publishing world is taking about it. :confused:

I think I feel collective agida from all the people who knew him wondering if they're in the book. Like it's literally giving me constant heartburn. :o

There's not much mystery to this. Either Morrissey offered Penguin first refusal on condition that they used the "Penguin Classics" imprint, or they approached him with "Penguin Classics" as a carrot, having heard his fantasizing about it a couple of years ago. Morrissey is obsessed by what imprint he is on (Attack, Major Minor, Liberty). Staff at Penguin have to resolve a dilemma between possibly selling out the integrity of the Classic brand and publishing something that sells more copies between now and Christmas than everything else in their catalogue put together and times by ten. In the end, everyone goes home happy and large amounts of money are made.

No matter how good this book is, even if it ends up being considered one of the best music memoirs of all time, it still doesn't fit with Penguin Classics.

Your take on this is probably fairly accurate.

I still can't get over it:doh:

I think it's cool though:)

I wonder if he gave anyone a heads up:rolleyes:

I think I would if I wrote a book. He's different though so maybe not. Like I sense he'd fear they'd leak it so it's easier to keep it all a secret.

"Autobiography? It's dead in the water simply by compromising the Penguin Classic brand, as is the Penguin brand itself, an unbelievable error of taste and decency which shareholders will revolt against once the backlash begins. The eejit Stephen Fry chimes in like some wannabe Wilde fluffer, as if Morrissey is even a pale shade of the original Pinky Blinder... There's confidence, there's arrogance, then there's ludicrous conceit. Dostoevsky would be impressed. NOT. One of our team works at Penguin, but not for much longer..."

quoted from "The Diary Of A BrummieBoy: Sunday 6th October 2013 C.E"

tara a bit, well for evva, actually! "goodbye" "farewell" etc

Sharon
"The Secretary"

I love people getting their knickers in a twist over the "Classics" tag. Morrissey lives for the prestige of labels and he's gotten his way this time. May he be the first and last -- a historical one-off! Go and listen to My Way, think kindly of Moz and bow down!

I think I feel collective agida from all the people who knew him wondering if they're in the book. Like it's literally giving me constant heartburn. :o

My stomach is allright so far, but that's because I contacted the Lincoln lawyer and Ally McBeal, (just in case).
With abs and legs like these, I can fully relax and have chilli peppers for breakfast.

Probably far too much precaution, but you know what they say, Si vis pacem, para Bullock. - (I'm off to watch "Two Week's Notice" to see if Sandra could add extra value to my killer team. We might need breasts.)

Hope European bookstores will pick it up, as it's a Penguin release

There are a many bookstores here in Eindhoven the Netherlands though musicstores can be count on 2 middlefingers

' and they say he's mentall'... and I am delighted though I've have taken my prescribed chemicals...

The strange thing about the whole "Penguin Classics" thing is that it was obviously a joke by Morrissey.

Well, if nutcases are endowed with something approaching what the rest of humanity calls "a sense of humour", then you may be onto something...

But,I too used to be one of those people who expected Morrissey to at least go "Bazingaaaaa!" after every megalomaniac action. And it never came....So really I think his is not just a geeky genius attitude problem.
I know, it hurts. At the beginning, me I thought he was just a weird funny dude. An unsuccessful Russell Brand, if you wish...

Then again, maybe Hitler had a collection of whoopee cushions hidden in his bunker? They just never found it,and that's why people still think of him as a sinister repellent terminally evil power-mad creature.

I'm asking you indignantly people, coming to hasty conclusions like that, is it fair?!
It's not as if he wore Hugo Boss suits, for chrissake!!

Or even huge bossy suits. No he doesn't!

Nazi or not, Hugo Boss... is there really a chap named Hugo Boss? I thought my parents gave me a ludicrous name! (Karl Lagerfeld is still a murderer. It had to be typed.)

"Autobiography? It's dead in the water simply by compromising the Penguin Classic brand, as is the Penguin brand itself, an unbelievable error of taste and decency which shareholders will revolt against once the backlash begins. The eejit Stephen Fry chimes in like some wannabe Wilde fluffer, as if Morrissey is even a pale shade of the original Pinky Blinder... There's confidence, there's arrogance, then there's ludicrous conceit. Dostoevsky would be impressed. NOT. One of our team works at Penguin, but not for much longer..."

quoted from "The Diary Of A BrummieBoy: Sunday 6th October 2013 C.E"

tara a bit, well for evva, actually! "goodbye" "farewell" etc

Sharon
"The Secretary"

We'll be waiting to see you proved wrong for the umpteenth time. Ludicrous conceit? Shareholders revolt? Penguin brand compromised? Believe it or not, there are some people who are not so po-faced and literal as you (thank God!). We don't all take everything so seriously. You're a prize troll, BB, and the absolute definition of irrelevance.

Well, if nutcases are endowed with something approaching what the rest of humanity calls "a sense of humour", then you may be onto something...

But,I too used to be one of those people who expected Morrissey to at least go "Bazingaaaaa!" after every megalomaniac action. And it never came....So really I think his is not just a geeky genius attitude problem.
I know, it hurts. At the beginning, me I thought he was just a weird funny dude. An unsuccessful Russell Brand, if you wish...

Then again, maybe Hitler had a collection of whoopee cushions hidden in his bunker? They just never found it,and that's why people still think of him as a sinister repellent terminally evil power-mad creature.

I'm asking you indignantly people, coming to hasty conclusions like that, is it fair?!
It's not as if he wore Hugo Boss suits, for chrissake!!

Or even huge bossy suits. No he doesn't!

Russell Brand is successful? Where? What has he produced of lasting cultural worth?

I actually agree with you and I am not trying to be an ass, but didn't Morrissey write (and publish?) two books before he was in The Smiths? One on James Dean and another on the New York Dolls. Obviously, that doesn't elevate him to Penguin Classic status and I am as baffled as anyone by how this happened (perhaps someone at Penguin shares Morrissey's sense of humor?) and am still waiting to see if this really is the case.

I'd be curious to know if anyone here has read either of his books and what they think of them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom