Morrissey interview (American Songwriter, Feb. 2018) posted - Official FB

41996_american_songwriter_1.jpg

41997_american_songwriter_2.jpg

41998_american_songwriter_3.jpg

Unfortunately, the pictures have been subject to FB's image compression.
Photo by SER. Interview by J.Beviglia (who I believe writes for American Songwriter Magazine).
Regards,
FWD.

Posted by dotmatrix522

FYI- the interview is from the current issue of American Songwriter magazine, the “Legends” issue!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really really enjoyable read. I wish more interviewers would ask him about the process and meaning of songs rather than attempting to bait him on political issues. The only assumption I can make these days is that many music journalists don't know that much about music!

Think it's more that they know Moz doesn't know much about politics.

Enjoyed the interview and Moz looks really good in that photo.

"I can see people coming alive when I sing certain songs, and this feeling is worth more than anyone who criticizes could dare to imagine."

Having attended many, many Morrissey concerts, this is true. However, these “certain songs” generally amount to about 6-8 out of ~20.

I mean, I guess there are few delusionals in the front row that get excited when “world peace is none of your business” starts, but I can assure you the other 4,496 people in the room either run for the bathroom, get a beer, or look at their phone.

Last edited:

'In fact, you must say things that people want to say themselves! That's when the song strikes!
In a 2017 where freedom of speech has been completely eroded, my name is often mentioned with a quiver of paranoia. But, so what. Songs are what we leave behind, and ... '

RIGHT ON MOZZY ! RIGHT ON ! :rock:

finally an interviewer actually asked him a recording artist about his recent recording! amazing. :rolleyes:

<>.

tenor.gif

I reckon he's still wearing that Nike track jacket from two years ago when Steve and John Maher did that corporate gig at Nike in John's hometown.

Having attended many, many Morrissey concerts, this is true. However, these “certain songs” generally amount to about 6-8 out of ~20.

I mean, I guess there are few delusionals in the front row that get excited when “world peace is none of your business” starts, but I can assure you the other 4,496 people in the room either run for the bathroom, get a beer, or look at their phone.

That's what happened when he played MiM at the Hollywood Bowl last year. I swear 1/2 the audience walked. In any case, enjoyed the interview and nice when the interviewer seems to actually know the music.

Old school music journalism is still alive thankfully, tucked away in a Great Songwriters-issue but it’s a start.
Hopefully we’ll get more of these, great read!

This interview has the smack of e-mail back and forth approval, and as for the 'questions'...

JoDg8Xz.jpg
I was pleased there were no further outbreaks of Foot in Mouth, but it is a bit dull and fawning, I have to admit. There is a noticeable spark of spontaneity missing when interviews are done in this way.

'In fact, you must say things that people want to say themselves! That's when the song strikes!
In a 2017 where freedom of speech has been completely eroded, my name is often mentioned with a quiver of paranoia. But, so what. Songs are what we leave behind, and ... '

RIGHT ON MOZZY ! RIGHT ON ! :rock:

finally an interviewer actually asked him a recording artist about his recent recording! amazing. :rolleyes:

<>.

what a powerful video,and some people on here have a problem with him singing Venezuela at the end.shocking.

Finally, an interview with an introduction that is worth reading. For once the journalist isn't self obsessed and staring into a mirror as they write. Great interview. The only negative I took from it was the comment about 'why people would have a studio at home', I can imagine Johnny Marr not liking that comment. But overall I really liked that interview and am happy that the writer liked the new album. I agree with him, but would have also listed 'Home is a question mark' as a high point in the album. I have to say I'm not a big fan of 'All the young people'. I think it starts well but seems to lose interest in itself halfway through.

This interview has the smack of e-mail back and forth approval, and as for the 'questions'...

Ah, brilliant well done. Whilst other fawning members of the cult would have praised and only seen the good in this interview, you stood up to these sycophants and came in with a critical comment. Bravo sir. Wonderful moderation skills!

I was pleased there were no further outbreaks of Foot in Mouth, but it is a bit dull and fawning, I have to admit. There is a noticeable spark of spontaneity missing when interviews are done in this way.

I agree. The Q & A part is a nice enough read, but the lead is indeed "dull and fawning". The writer sounds like he's working for an airline magazine. It reads like a Morrissey press release written by a dullard in his twilight years.

But otherwise it's nice to read Morrissey talk about songwriting once.

For once the journalist isn't self obsessed and staring into a mirror as they write.

But neither has he anything interesting to say. He gushes like a fan who is just making the leap from the teenage years into early senility. Frankly, I find the writer's parts an embarassment, they totally lack any kind of journalistic verve. But I do like the actual interview part.

YEP
, If he's not being roasted alive, then some folks are just not going to be happy. PATHETIC.

:rock:

and how dare the interviewer not ask him if Jacky is about Brexit !!!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Finally, an interview with an introduction that is worth reading. For once the journalist isn't self obsessed and staring into a mirror as they write. Great interview. The only negative I took from it was the comment about 'why people would have a studio at home', I can imagine Johnny Marr not liking that comment. But overall I really liked that interview and am happy that the writer liked the new album. I agree with him, but would have also listed 'Home is a question mark' as a high point in the album. I have to say I'm not a big fan of 'All the young people'. I think it starts well but seems to lose interest in itself halfway through.

Morrissey only does one or takes per song no? The studio would be a glorious place if that's all the time you spend in it but if you're working from start to finish on a record as Johnny would it makes sense not to do it all 'on location'.

Pretty good overall, I'm glad that it didn't descend into another case of the verbal shits and if going back and forward via emails is the way to stop it then it makes sense.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom