Morrissey interview by Michael Deacon in The Daily Telegraph

Michael Deacon writes:

I recently interviewed Morrissey for the Daily Telegraph. My piece has been published this morning online. It'll appear in print tomorrow, Saturday June 18.

Morrissey interview: heaven knows he's (a bit) less miserable now
At 52, Morrissey is among the top draws in two major music festivals – but he doesn’t have a record deal. Michael Deacon meets the ever-outspoken singer.

mozkittenweb_1922844c.jpg

[SUB]How soon is miaow? Morrissey with a kitten, photographed at Battersea Dogs' and Cats' Home in May 2011. Photo: Andy Fallon[/SUB]​

I also used parts of the transcript to create these three Q&As:

Morrissey on... his musical heroes
Morrissey talks about the music scene of 1970s New York, and how it influenced him and his work.

Morrissey on... Lady Gaga and modern pop
Morrissey gives his views on Lady Gaga, Adele and pop music today.

Morrissey on... privacy, the Queen and The Smiths
Morrissey talks about privacy for the famous, the Royal family, and his former band.

mozcatweb_1922814c.jpg

[SUB]Morrissey, photographed at Battersea Dogs' and Cats' Home in May 2011. Photo: Andy Fallon[/SUB]​

See also forum thread posted by goinghome:

Telegraph's Interview & Q&A with Morrissey

Last edited:
In response to Mr Deacon's very well-thought-out questions, Morrissey brims over with insights and witty, gritty remarks in this interview and q&as. Excellent! :thumb:

Just a shame about the tedious and lazy "Heaven knows..." in the headline.

Well if you're not reforming the smiths , then please for the love of god get new musicians and stop taking your fans for the ride.

Or retire.

If you have not read comments on the three new tracks then you should be pointed in the right direction and take note. Don't take your fans as lack-of-intelligent-fools.

The tripe that you're currently churning out is embarrasing.

Go now before your legacy is tarnished forever.

In response to Mr Deacon's very well-thought-out questions, Morrissey brims over with insights and witty, gritty remarks in this interview and q&as. Excellent! :thumb:

I agree, Glad you got your comment in before the abuse started

Daily Telegraph: Down the years you’ve said various things – about immigration, animal rights, the monarchy – that have caused a lot of controversy. Do you think saying controversial things has harmed your reputation as an artist?
Morrissey: ...I simply mind my own business...

Daily Telegraph: Down the years you’ve said various things – about immigration, animal rights, the monarchy – that have caused a lot of controversy. Do you think saying controversial things has harmed your reputation as an artist?
Morrissey: ...I simply mind my own business...

I starred at your quote for about a minute and then it suddenly made click. This is hilarious. Well paid attention to! Thank you for sharing.

Well if you're not reforming the smiths , then please for the love of god get new musicians and stop taking your fans for the ride.

Or retire.

If you have not read comments on the three new tracks then you should be pointed in the right direction and take note. Don't take your fans as lack-of-intelligent-fools.

Yet again, someone comes onto a Morrissey fan website to write such shite.

It's baffling. Nothing else better to do? Isn't there an old people's home at where you could hand out teas?

Quite possibly the best interview of Morrissey ever, if you include the three "Morrissey on ..." segments. I'm now more impressed by him than ever, although I still think that someone needs to clue him in about what powers the monarch has and most definitely what powers the monarch does NOT have (that's the only part of the interview where he sounds like a moron). Morrissey, if you're reading try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_the_United_Kingdom

I just find him very impressive. Very impressive indeed. Quite admirable.

Or retire.

I think Morrissey's solo career , albums and songs are extremely beautiful and I also think that you, mr anonimo, should consider suicide as one certain possibility for your destiny

The photos are gorgeous. Great interview and even the Q&As were informative.

I give the writer credit. He did his research, went in and bravely asked him whatever he wanted. I think Morrissey respected that and responded accordingly.

Bravo.

I give the writer credit. He did his research, went in and bravely asked him whatever he wanted. I think Morrissey respected that and responded accordingly.

Bravo.

totally agree!

Morrissey is an undisputable Hero! The only true "pop" artist left in England. I am finding myself humming these 3 new songs (Janice Long Session) - They are growers!

Bravo.

Fully agree! A Fantastic, intelligent interview & interviewer for a change. Really really enjoyed reading this. VIVA MOZ!

brilliant questions, brilliant answers, brilliant photos. Thank you Michael Deacon.

"...generally it’s thought I pieced Hop Farm together but I didn’t, I simply joined in. So it isn’t a Morrissey Meltdown. It isn’t me gathering together all the people I love. It’s just a coincidence that most of the people I greatly admire."

Not buying that at all. Are we to suppose Brother, Mary Coughlan, Magazine, Damien Dempsey etc all find themselves on the main stage by coincidence too? haha

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom