Morrissey interview in Billboard - new album, police brutality, why music Is 'like a dating service'

Morrissey Talks New Album 'Low In High School,' Police Brutality & Why Music Is 'Like a Dating Service' - Billboard
11/14/2017 by Joe Lynch

On Nov. 17, Morrissey returns with Low In High School. As the cover artwork – which shows a young boy standing in front of Buckingham Palace toting an "axe the monarchy" sign as well as an axe – indicates, the former Smiths frontman hasn't mellowed with age. In fact, Low In High School is one of his most political musical statements in an already outspoken career, tackling everything from blood-for-oil wars to resistance to corporate media over the course of 12 tracks.

Ahead of the release of his 11th studio album (and first since 2013's World Peace Is None of Your Business), Morrissey answered a few questions from Billboard via email about his new record label Etienne, the kid on the cover of his LP and why police brutality is "the worst form of street crime."

41304_morrissey-2017-cr-Samuel-Gehrke-billboard-1548.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you drive in the wrong direction (possibly at speed) on a one way road, especially in a city in the present climate you're gonna draw the attention of the police. Stupid clown :rofl:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Your voice is still one of the most distinct, emotive and nimble in music – do you have any particular techniques for taking care of it?

No, never. A lot of vocalists attempt to sing with their throats, which gives no vocal shape because it's all bawl. Consequently all you're hearing is throat. At the age of 8 I bought "Walk Away Renee" by the Four Tops. I heard Levi Stubbs and I knew what I wanted.

That old racist bigot strikes again. :)

When you read an interview like this it only throws into sharp relief how warm and empathic Morrissey is and how, as evinced by this website, thoroughly unpleasant his detractors can be.

It's also nice how he comes clean about Jacky being his grand Brexit statement.

What's the wailing sound that opens the album on "My Love I'd Do Anything for You"? Do you still turn to the BBC sound effects albums for audio samples?

The wailing is Jesse Tobias (guitarist). The studio in Rome had very deep cellars, one of which was a tight, airless, circular, windowless room. We put Jesse in the room and recorded his screams. We let him out eventually, of course ... a week or so later.

:D:D:D

What's the wailing sound that opens the album on "My Love I'd Do Anything for You"? Do you still turn to the BBC sound effects albums for audio samples?

The wailing is Jesse Tobias (guitarist). The studio in Rome had very deep cellars, one of which was a tight, airless, circular, windowless room. We put Jesse in the room and recorded his screams. We let him out eventually, of course ... a week or so later.

:D:D:D

Of all the questions the interviewer could have asked in the world this is the most wasted of opportunities.

Of all the questions the interviewer could have asked in the world this is the most wasted of opportunities.
Come on, you know as well as I do that those wailing sounds would have been the hot topic of conversation on here for the next couple of months. Now we know. ;)

Italy still lost and did not qualify for the World Cup in Russia. No amount of fake italian ice cream can make you overcome that pal.

On the subject of police brutality and overreach, I'm surprised he's not taking every opportunity to mention what happened to him in Italy earlier this year. You know, being held at gunpoint...

Tags
low in high school low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom