Morrissey interview in Vogue Turkey focused on gender roles, sex and love

Interview by Zülâl Kalkandelen of Vegan Logic for Vogue Turkey:

MORRISSEY: "YOUR REAL HOME IS YOUR BODY – NOT YOUR HOUSE OR YOUR APARTMENT!" - Vegan Logic

It is a pleasure for me to interview the one and only Morrissey for the third time. This time, I conducted this interview for Vogue Turkey for a piece focusing on Morrissey and gender roles, sex and love. Here are his fantastic answers! (If you are interested, my second interview with Moz: My second interview with Moz; and the first one.)
Zülâl Kalkandelen

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey starts a sentence with seemingly no real idea of where it might end.

Okaaaaaaay. What part of this statement:

"A lot of people prefer entrapment and orders and even alienation, yet there is so much within that could be teased out, and we could all surprise ourselves, but most of us prefer simple ignorance. Do you really think that you were created and placed on this planet in order to pay a mortage? "

Is NOT saying that owning a home is "entrapment" and "ignorant?" Please explain how he is not alluding to home ownership as "following orders?"

Don't even get me f***ing started on his simplification that all married people are sad and all single people are happy. Marriage is not evil. It's like saying Penguins are stupid because they mate for life, so let's just kill them.

It's not worth getting worked up over. He's lonely, he's bitter, he tells himself what he wants to hear and is adept at convincing himself that plebs who disagree just don't 'get it.' He's just trying to "justify" his own life choices - God knows why.

Re: New Morrissey interview in Vogue Turkey focused on gender roles, sex and love

I think you're missing his point completely, which is 'what is the point of this world we live in? why this order, this way of life that we must all confirm to from the moment we are dragged into this world to the moment we're buried in or scattered across it?' People have been voting for generations and yet look, we're now in the year 2014(!) and what's on the news, day in and day out? The same old ridiculous nonsense that has been going on for decades (war, terrorism, unemployment, issues with immigration, tax rises etc.)! All these things are happening because our governments are allowing them to happen. They are the cause of them; they are the ones who have established and in many cases, continue to ensure such restrictions to a better, unified world. So where has voting gotten anyone? Sure, things have become liberated and democratic in some areas of the world but you have to think on a grander scale. As Morrissey says, there's more to life than paying your mortgage. And yet, why are you paying a mortgage in the first place? Surely something essential like shelter should be free, or at its worst, affordable for everyone?

If I'm coming across as patronising, well, I don't mean to. But if you start to think what the world would be like without a monetary system, with everybody able to have and share the same things, then you're beginning to think on the right track of a place we should be aiming towards.

"Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. Herbert."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not worth getting worked up over. He's lonely, he's bitter, he tells himself what he wants to hear and is adept at convincing himself that plebs who disagree just don't 'get it.' He's just trying to "justify" his own life choices - God knows why.

I'd still go out on a date with the sonovabitch.

Ha! He sounds fed up in that interview, like he's had a couple too many hours thinking time, some of the others of late have been a lot more combative and entertaining. No-one's on top form every day I guess.

He gave a great interview a week or so back, and I suppose he relies for the most part on the questioner being any damn good.

He gave a great interview a week or so back, and I suppose he relies for the most part on the questioner being any damn good.

Something tells me he answered these questions over a month ago when this gal published the first installment. The answers have the same Merlot-inspired fluidity to them. I could be wrong. It's confusing to me though.

I'm married and very happy. I agree he tells himself shit like that because he's lonely and bitter. Perfect description of him.

I think he would be more original and witty saying I eat, I drink and I go to sleep...we are in 2014 and if your mum or your "girlfriend"are pestering you because you do not want to marry....well you could say I'm omosexual...no one will be surprise.

Zülâl Kalkandelen: I read your wonderful interview with Linder Sterling and now want to ask the same question you asked her: “If you inhabited a female body, how would your work differ?” For example, would you pull off your shirt on stage?

Morrissey: Even quicker than I do now.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Re: New Morrissey interview in Vogue Turkey focused on gender roles, sex and love

Forward thinking?

"Do you really think that you were created and placed on this planet in order to pay a mortage? "

Entitled, white, rich man hinting that security and independence from social handouts after the body is too tired to work? This is the devil speaking. Don't work hard. Don't be a land owner. Fritter your time on this earth giving into carnal pleasure. This interview is a f***ing train wreck. The questions are pompous. The whole thing is shit with no gold OTHER THAN Morrissey having the mental fortitude to not answer the leading questions. So there's hope.

I was kind of thinking the same thing actually.Also, the whole living in your body thing. DUH we all live in our own body. That body is capable of being frostbitten , raped and any number of things in a life on the streets.When a person lives in the street and lies down on a sewer grate to keep warm because it is below zero outside in winter nine times out of ten that same freezing person does not have bodyguards or security people watching over them. They are exposed in a much more elemental and vulnerable way than he ever is. Additionally free love is all fine and dandy but some people don't feel like getting AIDS or std's . Some people have HPV but don't even know they have it .I just can't listen to his entitled comments. It works for him because he does not have to live a certain way. Personally I find the things he says to be infuriating.Isn't this a man who has owned more than one home? I never see him helping the homeless. People who are less fortunate have to struggle just to have any of the things they need.Someone obviously knows how to gt in touch with Mr. White Privilege or he wouldn't be able to coordinate tours which he throws hissy fits at. I find his insensitivity and snobbery appalling. He has everything he needs that I don't have a home crap is nonsense. When he does not own a home he still has shelter, a place to rest and plenty of other things at his disposal. Apparently he has no clue how real people live anymore.He also gets his medical needs met. There are people living in poverty who cannot even afford that.This is BS.

I was kind of thinking the same thing actually.Also, the whole living in your body thing. DUH we all live in our own body. That body is capable of being frostbitten , raped and any number of things in a life on the streets.When a person lives in the street and lies down on a sewer grate to keep warm because it is below zero outside in winter nine times out of ten that same freezing person does not have bodyguards or security people watching over them. They are exposed in a much more elemental and vulnerable way than he ever is. Additionally free love is all fine and dandy but some people don't feel like getting AIDS or std's . Some people have HPV but don't even know they have it .I just can't listen to his entitled comments. It works for him because he does not have to live a certain way. Personally I find the things he says to be infuriating.Isn't this a man who has owned more than one home? I never see him helping the homeless. People who are less fortunate have to struggle just to have any of the things they need.Someone obviously knows how to gt in touch with Mr. White Privilege or he wouldn't be able to coordinate tours which he throws hissy fits at. I find his insensitivity and snobbery appalling. He has everything he needs that I don't have a home crap is nonsense. When he does not own a home he still has shelter, a place to rest and plenty of other things at his disposal. Apparently he has no clue how real people live anymore.He also gets his medical needs met. There are people living in poverty who cannot even afford that.This is BS.

Its very easy for him to say we weren't put on earth to work to pay a mortgage- he sits on his ass and collects royalties to pay his bills. If he wants some more money he travels in a luxury bus to five star hotels and then sings every other day for 90 minutes. He's totally out of touch with reality. What would he do if he had to work everyday for 8 hours and go home and do laundry? He doesn't lift a damn finger and has the audacity to tell us we are living wrong.

An insult to gay people he should take a leaf out of Tom Daley's book and get it off his breasts.

Pony the Tony

I like what he says about marriage. I'm not against marriage in theory, but I never liked when people married out of desperation, conformity, co-dependence, or for attention. I've always found that so pathetic. Then they breach their marriage vows so easily, which demonstrates such a weakness in character. Not that I'm opposed to divorce either. It all just depends on the circumstances. I hate when married uggo dudes befriend me and think I'm going to be their little mistress. I tell them up front I'll never been romantically interested in them and they will not benefit from trying to hide their wives, but in a man's world, what a woman says is irrelevant. She's supposed to take what she can get.

I'll never forget when a "friend" flew off to a foreign country to marry someone she had never met. I don't know what I said or failed to say, but she accused me of being "jealous" because I didn't "have a husband." I asked what could possibly make her think I was jealous and got no response. But you know how people love to project.

I've always thought that this is indeed the case, but it feels good to read it black on white once in a while.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always thought that this is indeed the case, but it feels good to read it black on white once in a while.

I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe reading these comments. My interpretation of and reaction to his words is so totally different.

But hey…two marriages, a mortgage, and a whole lot of body shame—what the hell do I know.

I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe reading these comments. My interpretation of and reaction to his words is so totally different.

But hey…two marriages, a mortgage, and a whole lot of body shame—what the hell do I know.

I'm at a loss with some of these comments as well.

Thoughtful questions and equally thoughtful replies - it's nice to read an interview with a little depth.

"...we all feel less alone if we are assured that our feelings are shared by others, naturally. Your real home is your body – not your house or your apartment. To sit still and endure your own feelings is probably the toughest part of everyone’s day. It need not be. Or, if it has been, then now it must stop, because, by the age of 29, we’re all tired out, and soon we enter our 40s as if we are entering death, when, really, it’s a better beginning than entering our 20s. Human beings have been treated like processed chemicals for too long. It is time to sit and fill the whole chair, to drink yourself in like you would a glass of wine, and to stop chasing old and forced behavioural patterns. How do we do this? Well, it’s easy. You just begin to. Instead of being afraid of people who nudge and push us, we should appreciate anyone at all who puts new questions before us."

Well said, well observed, and generally good advice.

Where is this Morrissey when he's storming offstage, or making unfortunate headlines?

He really is (at least) Two People.

Thoughtful questions and equally thoughtful replies - it's nice to read an interview with a little depth.

"...we all feel less alone if we are assured that our feelings are shared by others, naturally. Your real home is your body – not your house or your apartment. To sit still and endure your own feelings is probably the toughest part of everyone’s day. It need not be. Or, if it has been, then now it must stop, because, by the age of 29, we’re all tired out, and soon we enter our 40s as if we are entering death, when, really, it’s a better beginning than entering our 20s. Human beings have been treated like processed chemicals for too long. It is time to sit and fill the whole chair, to drink yourself in like you would a glass of wine, and to stop chasing old and forced behavioural patterns. How do we do this? Well, it’s easy. You just begin to. Instead of being afraid of people who nudge and push us, we should appreciate anyone at all who puts new questions before us."

Well said, well observed, and generally good advice.

Where is this Morrissey when he's storming offstage, or making unfortunate headlines?

He really is (at least) Two People.

how can it be good advice if its incoherent? no one has ever treated me as a processed chemicals yet im supposed to 'drink myself' as i would a glass of wine?
i wonder what exactly is going on in that head of his.

So nice to read an interview where Morrissey actually talks about something interesting, rather than droning on about the Royal Family, or David Beckham, or how record companies are conspiring to keep him out of the charts. I miss this guy. Where has he been?

Back
Top Bottom