Morrissey - Lancashire To Broadway - MCQ June 2019 Issue 190

MORRISSEY - LANCASHIRE TO BROADWAY - MCQ Music Monthly
JUNE 2019 ISSUE 190
THE EVER CONTROVERSIAL LANCASHIRE LAD TURNS SIXTY AS NEW COVERS ALBUM IS RELEASED

MORRISSEY - LANCASHIRE TO BROADWAY
" .. You can’t flick through the pages of the music press or browse a muso website without coming across a pained op-ed by some tragic fortysomething about how The Smiths saved his life when he was a fat, friendless 13-year-old and how distraught he now is to discover that Moz is a massive racist. Such types despise 21st-century Morrissey because – brace yourselves – he has different opinions to theirs .."

full

Last edited by a moderator:
what is this cut and paste rubbish?
As I read it I developed a headache. Lazy, lazy, lazy..
Please let me know when someone has something intelligent to say. I’m 46 not 80. What the hell has happened to journalism??
This makes the Guardian article an almost A* Geography assignment.
My eyes are bleeding and I’m draining another bottle of Laphroaig.
When does Love Island start again? A frontal labotomy now please nurse.
HELP!!!!
Pilgrimupnorth

MORRISSEY - LANCASHIRE TO BROADWAY - MCQ Music Monthly
JUNE 2019 ISSUE 190
THE EVER CONTROVERSIAL LANCASHIRE LAD TURNS SIXTY AS NEW COVERS ALBUM IS RELEASED

MORRISSEY - LANCASHIRE TO BROADWAY
" .. You can’t flick through the pages of the music press or browse a muso website without coming across a pained op-ed by some tragic fortysomething about how The Smiths saved his life when he was a fat, friendless 13-year-old and how distraught he now is to discover that Moz is a massive racist. Such types despise 21st-century Morrissey because – brace yourselves – he has different opinions to theirs .."

full

Also... Morrissey was never from Lancashire. He is from Trafford in Manchester. Pilgrimupnorth

Brilliant!

Also... Morrissey was never from Lancashire. He is from Trafford in Manchester. Pilgrimupnorth

"Safe, Warm Lancashire Home"
(Morrissey/Stephen Street)

This song has yet to appear on an album. Its lyrics are transcribed here without permission, as they are heard.

Safe warm Lancashire home
How could I leave you
I don't know
Cold hard girl
Veneer is all that she was
A head on her shoulders like Dante

But the quotes don't hold
The punchline is old
And I don't belong to no one

Safe warm Lancashire home
How could I leave you
I don't know

Cold hard girl
Veneer must be all that she was
Well this is the view that now helps me

But the sky is clouds
As the world comes of age
And I don't belong to no one

The world comes of age
As the world comes of age
A blessing or a burden
It's a blessing or a burden

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/lyrics/moz-swlh.htm

From the same article posted by the OP:

Playlist / Suggested Listening:
MORRISSEY - WEDDING BELL BLUES
EDWYN COLLINS - I GUESS WE WERE YOUNG
PIP BLOM - DADDY ISSUES
STRAY CATS - I'VE GOT LOVE IF YOU WANT IT
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS - ANGEL
THE CIRCLES - OPENING UP
JOHNNY MOPED - HEY BELINDA!
MORRISSEY - LADY WILLPOWER
WILD BILLY CHILDISH & THE MUSICIANS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE - JOE STRUMMER'S GRAVE
THE FALL - FUTURES AND PASTS
MORRISSEY - I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD
WHITE DENIM - SMALL TALK (FEELING CONTROL)
MILKSHAKES - I'M OUT OF CONTROL
MORRISSEY - MORNING STARSHIP
RICHARD HAWLEY - OFF MY MIND
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS - GACKED ON ANGER
STRAY CATS - WHEN NOTHING'S GOING RIGHT
RICHARD HAWLEY - ALONE
PIP BLOM - SAY IT
THE BUFFETS - YOU PISS ME OFF
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS - GFY
JOHNNY MOPED - NO WAY BACK
TOURS - LANGUAGE SCHOOL
STRAY CATS - DEVIL TRAIN
RICHARD HAWLEY - FURTHER
MORRISSEY - IT'S OVER
MORRISSEY @ 60
Companion Playlist / Suggested Listening:
GLAMOROUS GLUE
EVERY DAY IS LIKE SUNDAY
THE LAST OF THE FAMOUS INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOYS
FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE
BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS
THE MORE YOU IGNORE ME, THE CLOSER I GET
THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE
KISS ME A LOT
OUR FRANK
YOU'RE GONNA NEED SOMEONE ON YOUR SIDE
SUEDEHEAD
I'M NOT SORRY
DAGENHAM DAVE
THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT

https://smcq-gb.wixsite.com/mcqmusic/mcq

Yep! There are some dumb c***s on here!
A bit strong that. My point was that I’ve never heard anyone from Manchester describe themselves as Lancastrian. Manchester ceased to be in Lancashire in 1974. Morrissey was a teenager.
I’ve never heard him refer to anything but being from Manchester. Preston is a world away from the glitz of Deansgate. After Stretford M spent most of his adult life over the Mersey in Cheshire. George Formby was what I would call a Lancashire Lad.

Not strictly correct, Greater Manchester became a county in 1974, before that Manchester was in lancashire along with Trafford, so it did all start in Lancashire.

You mean the same borough of Trafford where Lancashire County Cricket play their home games? Half a mike from his house on Kings Road?

Not strictly correct, Greater Manchester became a county in 1974, before that Manchester was in lancashire along with Trafford, so it did all start in Lancashire.
Not strictly correct.
Yes Manchester was certainly in Lancashire but the area that is now Trafford was not fully in Lancashire.

The river Mersey is the boundary. Everything north of the river was in Lancashire - Stretford, Old Trafford, Urmston, Flixton and Davyhulme.

Anything south of the Mersey was formally in Cheshire.... Sale, Altrincham, Timperley, Hale, Bowden, Carrington and Partington.

Jesus - it really is an indication of the sorry state of Britain, and Europe in general, when expressing the opinion - 'here's an idea, let's limit immigration' is a point of view that is considered racist and unacceptable. Europe really is f***ed.

From the same article posted by the OP:

Playlist / Suggested Listening:
MORRISSEY - WEDDING BELL BLUES
EDWYN COLLINS - I GUESS WE WERE YOUNG
PIP BLOM - DADDY ISSUES
STRAY CATS - I'VE GOT LOVE IF YOU WANT IT
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS - ANGEL
THE CIRCLES - OPENING UP
JOHNNY MOPED - HEY BELINDA!
MORRISSEY - LADY WILLPOWER
WILD BILLY CHILDISH & THE MUSICIANS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE - JOE STRUMMER'S GRAVE
THE FALL - FUTURES AND PASTS
MORRISSEY - I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD
WHITE DENIM - SMALL TALK (FEELING CONTROL)
MILKSHAKES - I'M OUT OF CONTROL
MORRISSEY - MORNING STARSHIP
RICHARD HAWLEY - OFF MY MIND
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS - GACKED ON ANGER
STRAY CATS - WHEN NOTHING'S GOING RIGHT
RICHARD HAWLEY - ALONE
PIP BLOM - SAY IT
THE BUFFETS - YOU PISS ME OFF
AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS - GFY
JOHNNY MOPED - NO WAY BACK
TOURS - LANGUAGE SCHOOL
STRAY CATS - DEVIL TRAIN
RICHARD HAWLEY - FURTHER
MORRISSEY - IT'S OVER
MORRISSEY @ 60
Companion Playlist / Suggested Listening:
GLAMOROUS GLUE
EVERY DAY IS LIKE SUNDAY
THE LAST OF THE FAMOUS INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOYS
FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE
BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS
THE MORE YOU IGNORE ME, THE CLOSER I GET
THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE
KISS ME A LOT
OUR FRANK
YOU'RE GONNA NEED SOMEONE ON YOUR SIDE
SUEDEHEAD
I'M NOT SORRY
DAGENHAM DAVE
THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT

https://smcq-gb.wixsite.com/mcqmusic/mcq

Some good stuff on that.

Not strictly correct.
Yes Manchester was certainly in Lancashire but the area that is now Trafford was not fully in Lancashire.

The river Mersey is the boundary. Everything north of the river was in Lancashire - Stretford, Old Trafford, Urmston, Flixton and Davyhulme.

Anything south of the Mersey was formally in Cheshire.... Sale, Altrincham, Timperley, Hale, Bowden, Carrington and Partington.
????

So have we decided the area that is now Trafford (isn't the place that has always been Trafford) and is no longer in Stretford? which is as you say is to the north of the Mersey and therefore in Lancashire? and if this new area of Trafford no longer contains Kings Rd, then it's the wrong Trafford we're discussing and could be anywhere you liked as it's position is immaterial to this discussion, as we are discussing the Trafford of Morrisseys early Years, which is within the boundarys of Stretford, North of the Mersey, in Lancashire.

Last edited:
????

So have we decided the area that is now Trafford (isn't the place that has always been Trafford) and is no longer in Stretford? which is as you say is to the north of the Mersey and therefore in Lancashire? and if this new area of Trafford no longer contains Kings Rd, then it's the wrong Trafford we're discussing and could be anywhere you liked as it's position is immaterial to this discussion, as we are discussing the Trafford of Morrisseys early Years, which is within the boundarys of Stretford, North of the Mersey, in Lancashire.
Trafford as an area / borough did not exist until the boundary changes / formation of Greater Manchester County in 1974.
So Morrissey was 15 when that happened.
I responded to you stating Trafford was in Lancashire. It never was because it didnt exist. Parts of what is now the borough of Trafford (north of the Mersey) used to be in Lancashire.
The south of the river was Cheshire.
I have lived in Sale for the past 18 years and always give my address as Sale, Cheshire.
Posh people like myself prefer that to the plastic name of Trafford

Trafford as an area / borough did not exist until the boundary changes / formation of Greater Manchester County in 1974.
So Morrissey was 15 when that happened.
I responded to you stating Trafford was in Lancashire. It never was because it didnt exist. Parts of what is now the borough of Trafford (north of the Mersey) used to be in Lancashire.
The south of the river was Cheshire.
I have lived in Sale for the past 18 years and always give my address as Sale, Cheshire.
Posh people like myself prefer that to the plastic name of Trafford
This is brilliant and hilarious. Look at us northerners arguing over a map. Americans won’t understand or care.
Let’s all just be glad we were born and live north of Stoke on Trent. Viva The North.
Pilgrimupnorth

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom