Morrissey libel trial given the go-ahead

Jon sends the link:

Morrissey libel trial given the go-ahead - BBC News

Singer Morrissey's libel action over an article about his attitude to immigration can go to trial, the High Court has ruled.

Bluebirds also posted the link in the forums (original post):

Morrissey's libel battle against NME to be heard next year - The Guardian

Former Smiths frontman says high court appearance is chance to 'clear my name' over alleged racism accusations

Excerpt:

"In 2007 the NME viciously attacked me and labelled me a racist and a hypocrite. Last week they sought to avoid facing me in court to settle the matter once and for all," Morrissey said in a statement issued after Wednesday's ruling. "I am delighted that the NME's attempt to stifle my claim was unsuccessful and that as a result I will be able to use the very public forum of the high court in London to clear my name, loud and clear for all to hear."

An NME spokeswoman said: "NME recently sought to strike out Morrissey's claim on grounds of a lengthy delay. After almost four years, we are glad that the matter will now proceed to trial and we will finally get the opportunity to bring this matter to a close."

McNicholas and IPC Media lost their bid to strike out Morrissey's claim. Tugendhat said Morrissey's explanation of why it had taken four years to bring the claim to court was "credible".

Morrissey described in a witness statement how he had been left financially crippled by an acrimonious fallout with his manager, Merck Mercuriadis, in May 2008 which left the singer owing money to both creditors and debtors.

Tugendhat said the case was one that might be "susceptible to resolution" before it reaches trial, but it remains to be seen whether Morrissey will now wait for his day in court. The high court trial is expected to begin in mid 2012.

Related item:

Last edited:
Morrissey's big disappointment in life was that he was never burned alive like a witch and that is why he loves to be in court praying that the people will finally off him. Meanwhile I am singing the new hit tune by Adele:

"I let it fall, my heart
And as it fell, you rose to claim it
It was dark and I was over
Until you kissed my lips and you saved me

But there's a side to you that I never knew, never knew
All the things you'd say, they were never true, never true
And the games you play, you would always win, always win

But I set fire to David Tseng
Watched your whore as I set fire to your face
Let you burn while I cheer
Cause I heard Winnie Wong screaming out your name, your name"

Urban the swede again (off me tits as usual)

Morrissey's big disappointment in life was that he was never burned alive like a witch and that is why he loves to be in court praying that the people will finally off him.

Urban the swede again (off me tits as usual)

it's absolutely true. this would explain everything.

this really only means one thing....more songs involving courts, lawyers, etc..
blahhh...

His case is completely justified. Morrissey has done so many wonderful things over the years, he does not deserve to have his name slandered by some idiotic music publication that prints out total consistent bullshit every issue. And the worst part is, despite how many times he proves that he isn't a racist, people refuse to believe him because of the damn NME. It is so ridiculous and painful to watch because you know that when Morrissey dies, people will just go on and on about how wonderful he was. But while he is still alive, he is massively under appreciated and faced with blinding skepticism of his character. What a weird world we live in.

Ridiculous article. You cannot owe money to your debtors AND your creditors. Unless he's issued credit notes to the venues which he cancelled and not settled them. Then you could have money owed to your 'debtors'. Except then they wouldn't be debtors, would they? They'd be creditors.

Who said accountancy was boring?

Ridiculous article. You cannot owe money to your debtors AND your creditors. Unless he's issued credit notes to the venues which he cancelled and not settled them. Then you could have money owed to your 'debtors'. Except then they wouldn't be debtors, would they? They'd be creditors.

Who said accountancy was boring?

I wanted to point this out as well, but then I thought that maybe the expression is an English idiom.

Accountancy isn't boring at all, especially if your can juggle around with big numbers as you can see with the current discussions on the monetary system. A few digits more or less, what does it matter. ;)

It could be that he has both and that he promised to give money to people to help them out and he could then not do so.

and the sole purpose of the court action is money.

Do you know how much Morrissey stands to lose in financial terms if he loses and has to pay legal costs? You ignorant twit

You are an absolute knob..no doubt you ste a lawyer for NME

If Morrissey needs some money to fight the court case maybe he could release a new single - perhaps a cover version of Monty Python's 'I Like Chinese'?

Good luck to mr m. This type of issue is all to common in the era of the pc thinker. Many people now face accusations of being racist for making perfectly reasonable observations on the state of the nation. Hopefully this will be the first of many victories in this area. And, no, i am not a racist, fascist , whatever!

What???????? So if I stand on the street corner and shout racist abuse it is not racist because I havent physically harmed anyone???? Muppet
What's, " racist abuse"??? Stealing 50% of my pay check by thieves to stay fat and fund their Zionist wars for a profit? All because the war mongering Zionist trash think their related to god? Or... Is racist abuse anything your lame ass disagrees with?

His case is completely justified. Morrissey has done so many wonderful things over the years, he does not deserve to have his name slandered by some idiotic music publication that prints out total consistent bullshit every issue. And the worst part is, despite how many times he proves that he isn't a racist, people refuse to believe him because of the damn NME. It is so ridiculous and painful to watch because you know that when Morrissey dies, people will just go on and on about how wonderful he was. But while he is still alive, he is massively under appreciated and faced with blinding skepticism of his character. What a weird world we live in.

Agreed! Why not simply boycott NME and be done with them for good!?! The entire outfit is worse than mercenary and throws about acquisitions of, "racicism", when Morrissey has never hurt a living soul. All done to sell pulp-fiction for a profit. Well, Morrissey, this dear friend is exactly WHY you have no record deal with the big boys! Ofcorse you, "deserve", a huge recording contract and a plethora of new material would abound! That's what their afraid of...instances of what the big boys call, biting the hand that feeds.". Court trials over this sort of thing, verbal retorts back & forth, legal actions ... """And the scales of justice sway one way!!""" Oh yes.... racism is physically harming a select group of people! Free speech is just that! Get a life.. Get over it!

Good luck to mr m. This type of issue is all to common in the era of the pc thinker. Many people now face accusations of being racist for making perfectly reasonable observations on the state of the nation. Hopefully this will be the first of many victories in this area. And, no, i am not a racist, fascist , whatever!
Here, here! Facts are facts!!! Freedom is NOT wasted on you Morrissey, or anyone who stands up and tells the TRUTH! That goes all the way around. We must not shoot the messenger! David Tseng prints news and if that news is sensitive, it should be better guarded! David prints news, Morrissey voices opinions.... Both are messengers and protected by inalienable rights as people. We must get to respecting all life, or a cathartic event may occur! Love eachother!

What's, " racist abuse"??? Stealing 50% of my pay check by thieves to stay fat and fund their Zionist wars for a profit? All because the war mongering Zionist trash think their related to god? Or... Is racist abuse anything your lame ass disagrees with?
Lol you f***ing idiot, you think thats the only abuse people get XD, get a grip, Do you honestly think thats the reason for all racism? :lbf: what race is it your refering to exactly?

Last edited:
The trouble is, lawyers, they'll tell you what they think you want to hear to get you to keep it all going, they'll say you can't loose when in reality you could. They'll be very sorry, when you loose, but still expect you to pay a crippling bill, and even encourage you to contest a negative result to increase the bill. It's hard to get an honest apraisell of a situation when the leaches are advising. Allegedly. It must be hard to know what to do. On a positive note it must make a Smiths reunion tour more likely if it peppers him. Sorry, i'm ashamed of that last bit.

Bill - 'loose' is an adjective not a verb. The verb is 'to lose' e.g. "they'll say you can't lose." Sorry to be pedantic but your post is a bit confusing.

More legal rangles??? Honestly now, what will this ever amount to? "Why do you waste valuable time on people you'd rather kick in the eye?"

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom