Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moz, as much as I love you what you said is appalling. So many innocent people have lost their lives, which I'm afraid cannot be compared to the slaughter of animals. As a strict vegetarian myself I understand completely the cruelty which takes place all over the world. But you cannot consider that as being similar to the mass murder of people who probably have no opinion on racist or right wing views. Too soon Moz, too soon.

Seriously Moz, a big f*ck you for saying this! Don´t come to Scandinavia!!

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

I used to be a fan of his, but today I threw all my records in the trash. Could not find a more suitable place for them after his statement.

I'm with you!
He should be ashamed of himself. uacceptable. insane

Morrissey should just shut the f*** up and sing.

Or better yet, just shut the f*** up altogether.

So many innocent people have lost their lives, which I'm afraid cannot be compared to the slaughter of animals.

And what...the animals are not innocent as well?

A life is a life - whether human or animal. Morrissey wasn't belittling the murders in Norway - just commenting on how MILLIONS of lives can be taken by the fasst food industry, and no-one gives a shit.

Far from being some controversial statement that shocked the audience, he actually got a big cheer when he said this in Warsaw.

Okay Moz and people who are agreeing with him KFC and Mcdonalds suck. But no it is not the same. Sorry animals are not people. Not saying they are not important they certanly are but no they are not the same thing. Some times Morrissey comes off as some one trying to mix things up to get attention. You are above this Moz and you have done so much for animal lib. You don't come off very well when you say things like this. All the love.

Sorry if this is not clear, but articles that have a name attributed to them are originally posted or submitted by someone in the forums and then I edit them / add info. I prefer to not change the context of the original post but sometimes I will remove extraneous text/opinions.

And in what way is 'Once again he shoots himself in the foot' not an extraneous opinion? Can this place not even report a simple news item without adding bias? Pathetic.

Text from his new song Scandinavia perfomed for the first time at the concert where he made his gruesome statement:
«I despise each syllable in Scandinavia. Let the people burn, let their children cry and die in blind asylum».

How can he???? Children have been murdered and he makes idiotic statements like that.

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

And in what way is 'Once again he shoots himself in the foot' not an extraneous opinion? Can this place not even report a simple news item without adding bias? Pathetic.

Yes, I could have deleted it but didn't, it was the original poster's comment. It goes both ways - most comments that are included with articles are positive, you seem to be upset in this case as it doesn't align with your views.

Text from his new song Scandinavia perfomed for the first time at the concert where he made his gruesome statement:
«I despise each syllable in Scandinavia. Let the people burn, let their children cry and die in blind asylum».

How can he???? Children have been murdered and he makes idiotic statements like that.

Do you think if maybe Morrissey had decided to replace 'Scandanavia' in the set-list with a cover of 'We Are The World' all thos dead people in Norway would have suddenly sprung back to life and rainbows would burst into view overhead ?

What planet do you come from?

Do you think if maybe Morrissey had decided to replace 'Scandanavia' in the set-list with a cover of 'We Are The World' all thos dead people in Norway would have suddenly sprung back to life and rainbows would burst into view overhead ?

What a dumb comment. So, the choice is between callously insulting the victims and their families or miraculously raising the victims from the dead, is it?

Grow a brain and try again.

I agree with Moz, MCD and KFC sucks, but comparing slaughtering of children to chicken and cows is just pathetic. I lost all respect. Shame on him (and you)

It looks like living on salads, tofu and lentils really does turn you into a CU*T!

I'm going to start having my lunch at McDonalds EVERY bloody day now Morrissey!
3 double cheeseburgers and hey, why not a Quarter Pounder on top of it all in your honor!
I hope you choke to death on a brussel sprout you twat!

76 individuals died. Compound that by how many family members are affected. Why even compare? Why? We ALL know the crap KFC puts chickens through. Enough already Moz. You are a crashing bore

It goes both ways - most comments that are included with articles are positive, you seem to be upset in this case as it doesn't align with your views.

It has nothing to do with whether its a positive or negative opinion - it's due to the fact that this site is inserting some random person's opinion into what is supposedly a factual news piece. Opinions belong on a forum, or here - not as opening statements on a 'news' items. What headlines can we look forward to next - 'Morrissey, the talentless clown, is interviewed in this weeks NME'?

Morrissey is doing the cause for animal rights no good at all by continuing to make these stupid comments. And someone please remind him that his leather shoes and belts and manpurses didn't grow on trees?

What a dumb comment. So, the choice is between callously insulting the victims and their families or miraculously raising the victims from the dead, is it?

Grow a brain and try again.

hear hear!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom