Morrissey not vegan?

I take it you've never read Animal Liberation.

I have. Many years ago.

He did narrate the PETA film "IF Slaughthouses Had Glass Walls," which is similar (though slightly older) than the PETA film, "Meet Your Meat," used the three times I saw Morrissey. Also, none of the three times I saw Morrissey was I subjected to anything. Were you subjected to something when you saw Morrissey?

Were captive audiences subjected to that PS narrated film? I have not seen the Moz hosted footage. Have seen Meet Your Meat and many other videos and documentaries though--by choice--for educational purposes. Not at a pop concert I attended for pleasure.

This is the first time anyone has mentioned animal rennet in reference to his tour rider on this forum to my knowledge.

I think most of us here know the difference between vegan and vegetarian cheese. It has been discussed here in the past. As has the consumption of gelatin.

I am aware and predicted you would respond with this--hence why I stipulated that the idea of what is or is not a mental illness is, at least partially, socially constructed and somethings that were once considered mental illness no longer are. I was specifically thinking of homosexuality past inclusion in the DSM when I wrote that

The common understanding of eating disorders is that they are a form of mental illness. Most medical sources list it as such. When I said it was not currently listed as one in the DSM, but well be in the DSM-V I was incorrect. DSM-IV does include anorexia, bulimia, pica, and eating disorder not otherwise specified. DSM-V will include binge eating disorder as a separate diagnosis from eating disorder not otherwise specified.

You may have a different perspective on eating disorders. It may in fact be correct, but it is not the currently widely accepted view in the mental health or medical community. Thus someone who sees the term and thinks mental illness is not someone who does know the definition, but somebody who took 8th grade health, googled eating disorder, or looked up its definition in the Oxford New American English Dictionary, which defines eating disorder as--

Perhaps the common medical wisdom is wrong. People used to think bloodletting was a valid medical practice or homosexaulity was a mental disorder. No more. However, in the scenario above the failure to communicate properly is solely caused by your unique (though possibly true) views of what an eating disorder is not the other person's ignorance.

As far as pica is concerned, pica is currently listed in the DSM-IV as a mental illness and is treated with SSRIs. This has been criticized by some, which may be your view as well. Nonetheless when you said Morrissey had an eating disorder it is perfectly rational to expect many, if not most people, who are familiar with the concept of an eating disorder would believe you were saying he had a mental illness.

The DSM is a guideline for billing purposes. If it is considered a disorder and listed, then yeah, one's insurance will pay for counselling, treatment, tests, and meds. If not, you're on your own kid. It is culturally relative. I wonder how many kids are diagnosed with ADHD every year in Japan? Not that I am anti-DSM. I'm not at all. I'm all for people getting medical attention when needed or desired.

Does fear of flesh constitute having an eating disorder? Only if it is causing health or life problems for the person. Are they sick because of it? Depressed? Unable to function normally? How about fear of female contamination. Is that a disorder instilled by the teachings of Islam and Judaism? Probably. Should all the men practicing those religions be on SSRI's? No. I have a better solution. Can you guess what it is?

Last edited:
Interestingly enough the site's algorithm suggest's this as a similar thread--http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/12314-Morrissey-Not-Happy-With-Current-Set-List. For a computer, it is pretty smart.

It is from 2002 and entitled "Morrissey Not Happy With Current Set List"

He plans to adjust the set to include only songs from "Southpaw Grammer" and "Malajusted," which are in his opinion his finest momments.

"Boy Racer" will both open AND close the show.

The surprise B-Side will be "Now Am I A Was." Hooray!! Finally!!!!!!

Also, the FIRST EVER playing of "Sorrow Will Come In The End" (Dean's Gong will be prominent)

The Smiths Encore will be "The Daize Train." However, as there is no Marr, Morrissey will play the guitar lines on a kazoo, dressed as a Mexican schoolboy.

I don't know what happened to Naughty Ned, but I suspect he would derive immense (perhaps even naughty) pleasure from this thread.

I have. Many years ago.

Were captive audiences subjected to that PS narrated film? I have not seen the Moz hosted footage. Have seen Meet Your Meat and many other videos and documentaries though--by choice--for educational purposes. Not at a pop concert I attended for pleasure.

I think most of us here know the difference between vegan and vegetarian cheese. It has been discussed here in the past. As has the consumption of gelatin.

The DSM is a guideline for billing purposes. If it is considered a disorder and listed, then yeah, one's insurance will pay for counselling, treatment, tests, and meds. If not, you're on your own kid. It is culturally relative. I wonder how many kids are diagnosed with ADHD every year in Japan? Not that I am anti-DSM. I'm not at all. I'm all for people getting medical attention when needed or desired.

Does fear of flesh constitute having an eating disorder? Only if it is causing health or life problems for the person. Are they sick because of it? Depressed? Unable to function normally? How about fear of female contamination. Is that a disorder instilled by the teachings of Islam and Judaism? Probably. Should all the men practicing those religions be on SSRI's? No. I have a better solution. Can you guess what it is?

Well then I suppose you recall Peter Singer's graphic description of veal production, various factory farming practices, an experiment meant to induce psychopathology in monkeys, or learned helplessness in dogs. I had to read it for a class. Many people have great trouble doing so.

I am unaware of any captive audiences being subjected to "If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls," as I am also unaware of any captive audiences being subjected to "Meet your Meat" or to Morrissey in general. Though this is my own personal experience--perhaps other people know of captive audiences that were subjected to those things.

The DSM is not absolute nor did I say your understanding of eating disorders was inherently incorrect. I merely stated that it was not widely shared and not the predominant view nor the view someone who was familiar with the concept of eating disorders is likely to have encountered. As a result, when you stated Morrissey had an eating disorder I was under the impression you were implying he had a mental illness, as I suspect many people who read or would read your statement would conclude. Based on the additional information you have supplied concerning your personal opinion of eating disorders, as well as the eating habits of Morrissey, I stand corrected.

I am not aware of anyone other than yourself expressing the view that a fear of eating flesh is an eating disorder, though that is not to imply that you are wrong. I suppose a mental health professional who shared your view could diagnosis someone with "eating disorder not otherwise specified."

The relationship between cultural sensitivities and conceptions of mental illness is a highly contentious one and not a subject matter I feel particularly qualified to weigh in on.

This rider is obviously not just for Morrisssey. Why would a person eat gluten free bread and English muffins, which are not gf?

Two years ago he was asking for organic milk. And we do not know he wears leather shoes.

After you've set up your time machine to travel back to two-years-ago-Morrissey in order to slap him for drinking organic milk back then, please inform me asap, I destroyed somebody's sandcastle in the past and would like to make it undone because that stupid dim-wit is still pestering me with it, although I promised to never destroy a sandcastle again, and since stayed true to it, hand on heart. And once you've set your machine up, travel back to meet your former meat-eating and milk-drinking self so that you can teach yourself with your moral club. He admits that it's hard to give up leather shoes, at least he tries and he's all honest about not being perfect. But let's get drunk on our imagined moral and intellectual superiority instead.

After you've set up your time machine to travel back to two-years-ago-Morrissey in order to slap him for drinking organic milk back then, please inform me asap, I destroyed somebody's sandcastle in the past and would like to make it undone because that stupid dim-wit is still pestering me with it, although I promised to never destroy a sandcastle again, and since stayed true to it, hand on heart. And once you've set your machine up, travel back to meet your former meat-eating and milk-drinking self so that you can teach yourself with your moral club. He admits that it's hard to give up leather shoes, at least he tries and he's all honest about not being perfect. But let's get drunk on our imagined moral and intellectual superiority instead.

Actually, what I was saying is that he doesn't ask for milk anymore, leading one to believe he's recently gone vegan.

We don't have a photo of him eating cheese recently.

This is a translated interview, so I don't think we can really be sure that's what he actually said. He's a funny sort of vegan if he eats cheese.

First, I assume that google translate is capable of translating the word "veganism" to any language back and forth without loss in meaning. Also, despite the obvious fact that such an amount of demands like that rider can hardly be for one person alone, you refer to an older interview. He might have turned vegan since. But that's a terrifying thought for some people because they'd have less reasons to raise themselves above him. Good grief, start a demo in front of your local dairy farm instead of slagging a singer off, who tries his best to raise awareness for animal rights.

Actually, what I was saying is that he doesn't ask for milk anymore, leading one to believe he's recently gone vegan.

We don't have a photo of him eating cheese recently.

Errm, ok. Clear misjudgement of your post on my side then. I'm already spoiled by this site's agenda. Sad face.

Tags
animal rights hypocrite morrissey vegan vegetarian
Back
Top Bottom