Morrissey on Clickhole

T. H. Auden

Morrissey is featured in a post on the fake/parody news Instagram account Clickhole:
BnUMR0BhUnd

I wanted to please escalate this to the main page.

It might have been funnier if it wasn't full of Americanisms - 'scenic overlook', 'straight-up', 'highway', 'real estate' - therefore unlikely to be said even by Parody Morrissey. Although no doubt Aztec Camera will have something to say about that.

It might have been funnier if it wasn't full of Americanisms - 'scenic overlook', 'straight-up', 'highway', 'real estate' - therefore unlikely to be said even by Parody Morrissey. Although no doubt Aztec Camera will have something to say about that.
Yeah, whatever humor value it might have is destroyed by the fact he doesn’t talk that way like at all :straightface:

"highway", "real estate", hahaha, "straight-up"?!

what do you people call a highway and real estate then? :confused:

I love how people who talk like this are so dumb and in their own little bubble that they don't realize that intelligent clever people don't actually talk like this. they just think everyone does without variation.

what do you people call a highway and real estate then? :confused:
Road. We like to keep things simple :) Real estate is property - although confusingly, people who sell property are estate agents. I can't believe anybody actually says 'scenic overlook' instead of view... do they?

Road. We like to keep things simple :) Real estate is property - although confusingly, people who sell property are estate agents. I can't believe anybody actually says 'scenic overlook' instead of view... do they?
no, I don't actually think ive ever heard 'scenic overlook' before in my life. anyone who said that would be an asshole.
you just call everything a road? now that's strange. you see I did not know that. you mean you people don't use any word to distinguish between little country roads and busy fast paced ones? baffling!

Road. We like to keep things simple :)
Oh? Then what's a motorway? (Apologies for my bewilderment. )
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that Morrissey has said "highway" before. (See Spent the Day in Bed).
He has been using the American spellings. AND though he dismissed "hey" as an Americanism in 2011, he says it loads in My Love I'd Do Anything For You.
Though, I reckon it's not my job to talk about old Malibu Uncle Steve. Where on earth is Aztec?

Last edited:
no, I don't actually think ive ever heard 'scenic overlook' before in my life. anyone who said that would be an asshole.
you just call everything a road? now that's strange. you see I did not know that. you mean you people don't use any word to distinguish between little country roads and busy fast paced ones? baffling!
Well, actually there are a few exceptions. The fast three-lane roads are motorways. Two lane roads are, technically speaking, dual carriageways. But they are still all roads, not highways.

Oh? Then what's a motorway? (Apologies for my bewilderment. I'm a Canadian ignoramus.)
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that Morrissey has said "highway" before. (See Spent the Day in Bed).
He has been using the American spellings. AND though he dismissed "hey" as an Americanism in 2011, he says it loads in My Love I'd Do Anything For You.
Though, I reckon it's not my job to talk about old Malibu Uncle Steve. Where on earth is Aztec?
No, you are quite right, I just explained this to Rifke above. And you're also right that he does adopt some American spellings. And has sung about a highway. But even then, I thought at the time it just sounds so un-Morrissey and just plain wrong. Yes, where is Aztec when we need him?

No, you are quite right, I just explained this to Rifke above. And you're also right that he does adopt some American spellings. And has sung about a highway. But even then, I thought at the time it just sounds so un-Morrissey and just plain wrong. Yes, where is Aztec when we need him?
I had to correct him whilst writing my review of The List of the Lost...

"Day 4 Vienna, as I sit on a sun deck I read “Humans, on the other hand, live entirely upon repayment of favours (English spelling please Mr. M), and on a costly demonstration of superiority that thrives on divine punishment”, "

I had to correct him whilst writing my review of The List of the Lost...

"Day 4 Vienna, as I sit on a sun deck I read “Humans, on the other hand, live entirely upon repayment of favours (English spelling please Mr. M), and on a costly demonstration of superiority that thrives on divine punishment”, "
We shouldn't really be surprised he gets confused, I suppose. This is the man who couldn't spell cemetery, after all.

We shouldn't really be surprised he gets confused, I suppose. This is the man who couldn't spell cemetery, after all.
you mean,'cemetry gates' is really spelled like that?! I just thought it was a mistake of the youtube uploader, I had assumed they were a dumb American and that because it's pronounced 'cemetry' they therefore thought it was to be spelled that way.

you mean,'cemetry gates' is really spelled like that?! I just thought it was a mistake of the youtube uploader, I had assumed they were a dumb American and that because it's pronounced 'cemetry' they therefore thought it was to be spelled that way.
No, it really is spelled like that. Apparently Morrissey decided to leave it like that even when it was pointed out. Speaking as a grammar/spelling Nazi, I quite like that because it feels slyly defiant and subversive. I feel this could be the start of a perversion, if I let it.

Taken from Mozipedia by Simon Goddard, it was too early in the morning to type out ! 093DBE9A-354B-44F4-9F18-4A5E2B0AA6A0.jpeg

Taken from Mozipedia by Simon Goddard, it was too early in the morning to type out ! View attachment 45711
But like everything else with Morrissey, there always seems to be at least one alternative explanation:
'The misspelling of cemetery in the title "Cemetry Gates," was an unintentional error by Morrissey, who admits he always had trouble with the word.'
Source: Songfacts.com (although I've definitely read that elsewhere).

B67A85F4-50CC-467C-8760-046DD28D2655.jpeg
But like everything else with Morrissey, there always seems to be at least one alternative explanation:
'The misspelling of cemetery in the title "Cemetry Gates," was an unintentional error by Morrissey, who admits he always had trouble with the word.'
Source: Songfacts.com (although I've definitely read that elsewhere).
Even the same author is unsure, “Songs That Saved Your Life “ Simon Goddard....

Back
Top Bottom