Morrissey on Dermot O'Leary, Radio 2 (Apr. 30, 2011, 3pm)

Update Apr. 30, 2011, 4:05PM PT:

mozmic_dancer;1986638305 said:
You can listen to it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010lxqd Just hit the “Listen Now” tab; about 1:13:30 minutes in.

mp3 version here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=619B043K

Reminder: interview to air Saturday, Apr. 30 at 3:00PM BBC Radio 2. Post your reports in the comments section below.

Boyd Hilton just tweeted:

@boydhiltonboydhilton

The dream scenario is happening (barring last-minute withdrawal): Morrissey on @radioleary's show, Sat Apr 30, Radio 2, 3pm.

Related item:
  1. MOZ/ Dermot picture on Radio2 website - Apr. 26, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I adore Moz, but my god he was such a clown in this interview, rude.

Morrissey was hilarious. Gave O'Leary a wonderfully evasive ride - "the X factory".

Nice interview. It roughly lasted about 25 minutes. For those who missed it, you can catch it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010lxqd Hit the “Listen Now” tab; about 1:13:30 minutes in.

To me, it sounded like a battle of wits, with O’Leary being about one wit short. Interviewers never learn, do they? Anyway it made for some good-natured fun.

Moz began with his usual moan about the Royal Family, then admitted that he saw the “X Factor” once. He liked an act called the Stunners, but Cowell booted them off. They talked about the “Best of” and Morrissey joked that he did everything, the artwork and distributing it from a back of a van!:lbf:

I don’t know if O’Leary was genuously unaware about Morrissey’s Meltdown show from 2004 or that he was being facetious. They talked about being Irish, and Morrissey then chose to play "Girl Least Likely To.”

Moz watches television, but apparently doesn’t like newsreaders, particularly the grim face of Alistair Stewart, the body language of George Alagiah, or the voice of Mary Nightingale.

Why they talked about “Coronation Street” for so long or O’Leary’s octopus restaurant in Brighton, who the hell knows, but eventually, they got back to talking about “pop music” and Morrissey’s usual favorites. O’Leary’s choice from the album was Morrissey’s exquisite cover of “Interlude” without Siouxsie Sioux.

Yes, we got confirmation that he has new music to release, but no label. He’s “old-fashioned”, doesn’t want to be part of a cottage industry. He likes being “institutionalized.” Pity.

Some interesting quips:

Moz about O’Leary:
“…something about your face that says, “lie to me.”

“Shameless” is what Coronation Street would have been if it progressed.”

About playing himself on “Coronation Street” or “Emmerdale”:
“If I went to audition to be me, I wouldn’t get the part.”

About his fans:
“…They are very dedicated and they support me greatly and they are here until the day I drop dead, which might be sooner than later.”

About sticking around cities on tour:
“…no, I’m like lighting.”

I liked how they ended the interview with that strange talking over each other.

Last edited:
Moz sounds very uncomfortable, and kind of running on empty. Same old quotes. Excited that he picked 'Girl Least Likely To' though, one of my all-time favourites. And interesting to hear he has a new album.

Wow, that entire interview was embarassing to listen to! Dermot was so rude, but of course made out that Morrissey was the problem. "If you just WAIT before you talk!" What gives him the audacity to talk to a guest like that? And that bit at the end, oh God! I don't blame Morrissey for telling him "you don't rule the world"... he's got such a cocky attitude. If you get paid a fortune for being a 'presenter', at least make a sodding effort!

Can someone please do a better job of transcribing this fir Americans? (the link is "available" to the US) So far, the comments suck and your reporting sucks. Just stick to the facts. What questions were asked, what answers were given. It's not THAT difficult.

What's the problem? At least we didn't have to sit though questions like "Are The Smiths going to reform?"...I'd rather hear Morrissey talk shit about Corrie any day of the week.

If Morrissey genuinely doesnt like Dermot then why do the interview? I found it more of a chat of 2 blokes at the bar than a serious interview, uncomfortable yes but maybe it was supposed to be, Moz secretly enjoys getting wound up , im sure of that now, but i guess this is why Moz does so very few interviews its the same old answers regurgitated every time. You could almost put yourself in Morrissey s shoes and know how every question is going to be answered to every question put to him.
Wouldnt it be nice to hear Morrissey say hes happy , but i dont think it will ever happen!

interview was awkward to start with but i thought it got better as it went along.some of it quite funny.his shock at having to get a boat to dunoon.good to know he picks the venues himself.girl least likely to and glamorous glue are looking definites for the setlist.this time last year a main story on this website was mozz spotted in london.we should be glad hes out and about working again.

Brilliant to know that Morrissey thinks exactly the same as me about exactly the same newsreaders. They are soooooo annoying, i can't even watch them any more. Pathetic, it's as though they are trying to instill their opinion onto us, brainwashing in a way.

Me and Morrissey need to marry, soon!

"You defer to views of the television news, why? Let someone do your thinking for you"

Brilliant to know that Morrissey thinks exactly the same as me about exactly the same newsreaders. They are soooooo annoying, i can't even watch them any more. Pathetic, it's as though they are trying to instill their opinion onto us, brainwashing in a way.

Me and Morrissey need to marry, soon!

Lol your not the only two people on the planet that thinks that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom