Morrissey on ''England is mine''

it opens in America this week so mozz might put on a baseball cap and wander into a cinema that's showing it.hes probably seen the reaction of the fans on here and might think why not,its not an offence to mozz as its a well put together piece of cinema with a very good performance by jack lowden.

I thought Moz proably had seen it. It have had a couple of screenings. I read an interview with a childhood friend of Morrissey (James Maker) in some paper that the movie was an insult against Morrissey's talent, and that it is not a movie about Morrissey, it's just fiction. Some fiction is quite common in every biopic, but just fiction makes it all very disappointing. The ''biopic'' dosen't have Morrissey's blessings either.
But are there anybody who has a link to statments from Morrissey about the movie, or have heard something about Morrisseys views on the ''biopic''? An anecdote? anything? Haha...

no all he said was he wasn't consulted in any way about it,i think.

...and that's straight up f***ing rude!

^^ THIS ^^
Regardless of the quality of the film, which can be quite good, and it has received some good reviews, still don't understand the motives to not consult Moz.
Some motives have been given.

They wanted to make a movie as objective as possible and were afraid by consulting Moz the movie would turn out in a glowing, selfpromotional hagiography.

They focused on the angle a guy from Manc becoming a star in pop music and the unlikeliness of it happening.
So the audience could indentify. If anybody could become a star the idea Moz became one was not due to his talents and character or personality but only due to luck. I think this simplification ruins the possibility of a much better, more insightful movie, focussing more on (artistic) individual talents that were the origin, to me.

They didn't "want to upset him".

I read the comments of James Maker and that part was a lot more insightful to young Moz and for a non-specified reason, missing from the film too.

Just my two cents.
:thumb:

Well it's not like he wasn't trying to consult him

"Gill contacted Morrissey at various stages throughout the film-making process but as yet without reply. “I’m not saying we want his blessing,” says Gill, “but we’ve tried to show him the greatest deal of respect.” Johnny Marr – ever the affable ying to Morrissey’s surly yang – was more generous when Gill met him by chance at the Manchester International Festival earlier this year.

He was genuinely warm and genuinely flattered that we’d made a film about them,” Gill reveals. “And he had nothing but nice things to say – he said he knows people that have seen it and heard good things and he wants to see it. And I just said, ‘Well look, thanks for changing my life’. And he gave me a big hug.”

From the big issue. There's a nice video interview from billy Duffy out there as well who helped with the film and was also there making music with morrissey at the time

Johnny Marr was genuinely warm and genuinely flattered that we’d made a film about them,” Gill reveals.

Gill didn't make a film about the Smiths or about Johnny Marr. He made a film about Morrissey. Would've been weird for Johnny to criticize the few minutes in the film when he actually appears.

Gill didn't make a film about the Smiths or about Johnny Marr. He made a film about Morrissey. Would've been weird for Johnny to criticize the few minutes in the film when he actually appears.

Maybe, I can't really speak for how Johnny would feel about anything. Seems like he had nice things to say though even about his five min of celluloid fame

Well it's not like he wasn't trying to consult him

"Gill contacted Morrissey at various stages throughout the film-making process but as yet without reply. “I’m not saying we want his blessing,” says Gill, “but we’ve tried to show him the greatest deal of respect.” Johnny Marr – ever the affable ying to Morrissey’s surly yang – was more generous when Gill met him by chance at the Manchester International Festival earlier this year.

He was genuinely warm and genuinely flattered that we’d made a film about them,” Gill reveals. “And he had nothing but nice things to say – he said he knows people that have seen it and heard good things and he wants to see it. And I just said, ‘Well look, thanks for changing my life’. And he gave me a big hug.”

From the big issue. There's a nice video interview from billy Duffy out there as well who helped with the film and was also there making music with morrissey at the time

He was trying to contact him but Moz says he wasn't consulted. :confused:

If M is smart he'll issue a gracious statement saying they got a few things wrong but he appreciates the attempt and that it captures x or y very well. The film opens in NY this Friday and if he's smart he'll ride on the free publicity. Correct response to any queries about the film: "Yes AND be sure to check out my new album, dropping... "

If M is smart he'll issue a gracious statement saying they got a few things wrong but he appreciates the attempt and that it captures x or y very well. The film opens in NY this Friday and if he's smart he'll ride on the free publicity. Correct response to any queries about the film: "Yes AND be sure to check out my new album, dropping... "
Good advise but very unMorrissey. Especially the album "dropping" lol.

Back
Top Bottom