Morrissey on "Later... with Jools Holland" (London, Oct. 3, 2017) - reminder / reports

UPDATE Oct. 7:

Posted by an anonymous person:

Posted by docinwestchester:

UPDATE Oct. 6:

Posted by Peanut:

The full show is tomorrow (Sat. 7th) at 11pm on BBC Two, not today as written in OP.

Posted by Springhealedkev:

I was at the Jools Holland show and he did 3 songs. The other 2 are ... ' I wish you lonely ' and 'all the young people must fall in love ' ... got so close to him but yet so far... thought we might see them in the bar after , but no.

Note posted by Johnny Barleycorn:

This edition is the short version. The full show will be on Friday.

Link to jools.holland.official / Instagram posted by an anonymous person:

40889_morrissey_jools.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice performance.
I Wish You Lonely has a Mama Riverbed-feel though, but that doesn't bother me as that was one of my Refusal-faves.

strong and thoughtful lyrics brimming with sarcasm, a joy to listen to

Yeah: nuclear war is bad; the president is bad; ignore it, though, and fixate yourself on finding love because that's what matters. Profound.

Very nice performance.
I Wish You Lonely has a Mama Riverbed-feel though, but that doesn't bother me as that was one of my Refusal-faves.
I love Mama Lay.. but the I Wish You Lonely does nothing for me at all. All The Young People sounds good in the first half but the rest of it sounds like he forgot some lyrics, but I know he didn't. Still too early to judge an album I haven't heard yet but it's never too early for some.

Home is a ? and Jacky sound slightly better I think, but I like all five so far.
So far I think Refusal-quality is most likely, so that means another fine Moz-album, but no top-5 Moz-album.

sorry to interrupt, but is it true that Morrissey is going to sing in the schwuz Club in Berlin next week on wednesday? there was a message on fb Morrissey official, posted one hour ago. unfortunately i was already too late and didnt make it on the guest list, only on the waiting list.
does anybody else have any details?
(sry, cant Open any threads at the moment)

Yes go t the Arte/Berlin Live website. Unfortunately all reservations for this free show have been taken :(

Both songs sounded tighter this time around. Still haven't come around to I wish you lonely yet but it's an alright song

This is shaping up to be worse than World peace. The problem I think lies in the fact that the music has gone away from the sad sounding melencholy vibe that we have all loved and come to associate with great Moz songs (think the dark moody strings of Dear God please help me). Gone are those sounding songs which seem to really push the vocal melody and instead its almost as if the music is too consciously trying to be more experimental when it comes to the arrangements. It's like he is trying to hard to try something different rather than sticking to what has worked so well in the past. Sure artists can change but these new songs as well as most of world peace just doesn't hold a candle to the quality of his previous work.

Spent the day in bed based on this French movie ?

Or french writer Paul Lafargue ? (sorry it s french only)

Those vocal melodies do seem to be a thing of the past, sadly, as do those lovely turns of phrase he was once famous for.

He seems to be relying more and more of lists and repetition in his lyrics. Fun on a track like Something Is Squeezing My Skull, but it comes across as not having enough material when relied upon too often.

when people say his lyrics and melodies have changed, well the world has changed so much in the last few years that is almost unrecognisable to say ten years ago.we are lucky hes still got a pulse when you see the amount of singers who are dying these days.

Some of this new material is so astoundingly poor that one can only conclude of Morrissey and perhaps the people around him that they live increasingly in a comforting bubble of total praise and total delusion. Is this what friendship with the fawning, yawning likes of Jonathan Ross, David Walliams, Noel Gallagher, Joey Barton and Russell Brand does to a formerly great pop artist?

'All The Young People Must Fall In Love' must be amongst the most empty insipid, half-hearted songs produced in popular music this century. 'Spent The Day In Bed' presents us with the sorry spectacle of a man bloated on his own wealth indulging in the aristocratic indolence that is now his primary mode of life. 'I Wish You Lonely', at last, is a half-striking lyric, but needs much more work to be worthy of recording. This is paltry, mediocre fare, and a sad new low in an extraordinary creative life.

beauty lies in the ear of the listener, and honestly, i personally prefer any experimentalism to dull, suffocating traditionalism. life is progression and sometimes you have to dare risk a step into unknown territory, also musically

How can anyone say this stolid, somewhat turgid music is in any way groundbreaking? PLEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!

????? to the majority of that i'm afraid.

But there aren't a 'few' extremists in the UK. Have a look at the numbers of people being watched CONSTANTLY and then the mere 23,000 figure. Mainstream parties don't help people with these worries. It was the British National Party that actually helped the parents of ALL the young girls raped by the Muslim grooming gangs up north, because Labour wouldn't take those rose tinted glasses off.

They are few compared to the overall number of muslims. The biggest letdown is that these few extremists are making life hard for everyone else.

Why bring the National into this? I quite enjoyed them though the Morrissey songs were the three best on the show.

The new Morrissey songs are not a patch on the majority of The National's new album, the only possible exceptions being Turtleneck and the title track Sleep Well Beast.

Don't get me wrong, The Smiths are the best band in the history of music, to this very day.
Morrissey 1988-97 remained peerless, as far as I am concerned.

But...
'Not now'.

They are few compared to the overall number of muslims. The biggest letdown is that these few extremists are making life hard for everyone else.
Ignorance is bliss for you I guess. End of topic for me now. Take care

Ignorance is bliss for you I guess. End of topic for me now. Take care

Not at all and you and me both want the few extremists gone forever. The only problem is that it is hard to control those silent supporters of course who might join the extremists cause of some personal setback which is often the case.

U
'Spent The Day In Bed' presents us with the sorry spectacle of a man bloated on his own wealth indulging in the aristocratic indolence that is now his primary mode of life.

I agree entirely about Spent. In a parallel universe it might have been written by Louis IX.

It’s just the most patronising, “know your place little people” slice of awfulness I’ve heard in a while.

“Spent the day in bed
Very happy I did, yes
I spent the day in bed
As the workers stay enslaved
I spent the day in bed
I'm not my type, but
I love my bed
And I recommend that you

[Chorus]
Stop watching the news!
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own

[Verse 2]
I spent the day in bed
It's a consolation
When all my dreams
Are perfectly legal
In sheets for which I paid
I am now laid
And I recommend to all of my friends that they

[Chorus]
Stop watching the news!
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own

[Bridge]
Oh time, do as I wish
Time, do as I wish
Oh time, do as I wish
Time, do as I wish
Oh time, do as I wish
Time, do as I wish
Oh time, do as I wish
Do as I wish

[Verse 3]
I spent the day in bed
You can please yourself
But, I spent the day in bed
Pillows like pillars
Life ends in death
So, there's nothing wrong with
Being good to yourself
Be good to yourself for once!

[Outro]
And no bus, no boss, no rain, no train
No bus, no boss, no rain, no train
No emasculation, no castration
No highway, freeway, motorway
No bus, no boss, no rain, no train.”

I suppose we should be grateful at least that he didn’t keep the original working title if of “Do Nothing, Stay Stupid.”

It’s borderline obnoxious and more royal than the Royal family themselves. Perhaps he should be reminded that some of those “enslaved workers” he looks down his nose at are why when he finally gets up and greets the world with that days episode of Pointless the telly goes on.

The Voyager I is more in touch with the earth than Morrissey.

Dont you think this line also applies to a lot of things politicians say though. That it applies to even just the nature of politics
I'm neither here nor there. It just brought that quote to mind for me. I'm waiting to hear the rest of the album, because I get the distinct feeling that it will be pretty blunt, politically.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom