Morrissey on life as a civil servant, by Jim Dunton - Civil Service World

While most of the media seems to be in Morrissey meltdown mode, thank goodness for old reliables like Civil Service World!

Heaven knows he was miserable then: Morrissey reflects on life as a civil servant - Civil Service World
By Jim Dunton
As the Smiths legend turns 60, Civil Service World looks back to Morrissey’s time on the government paybill

Opening paragraph:

"Steven Patrick Morrissey is not the first celebrity to have a stint in the civil service tucked away at the bottom of their CV, and he certainly won’t be the last. But as the legendarily dour singer of 1980s Mancunian music legends the Smiths turns 60, what better time could there be to reflect on his brief – but seemingly character-forming – spell in the state’s employ?"

(Most of the article is simply quotes from Autobiography, but hey. It did remind me of some of my favourite scenes from the England Is Mine movie.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those quotes are sheer poetry. I just wish he had released that book when I was younger. Could've needed it for support!

good little read.

Those quotes are sheer poetry. I just wish he had released that book when I was younger. Could've needed it for support!

Indeed. This is a reminder of just how good the first half of Autobiography is. And the critics loved it too, despite the self-aggrandising second half.

Indeed. This is a reminder of just how good the first half of Autobiography is. And the critics loved it too, despite the self-aggrandising second half.
Yeah, that first half is terrific. He really has a fantastic way of conveying Manchester of yesteryear.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom