Morrissey on Norway Massacre/Fast Food Companies - Bigmmouth Strikes Again

Well, he is belittling it, by saying that it is "nothing" compared to the fast food industry...see, the "compared to" part becomes irrelevant after the "nothing" part.
Taken literally, perhaps yes. However, in Northern parlance, "means nothing compared to" means, "is insignificant compared to". He is not saying it means nothing. He is saying that 76 deaths (in Norway) means less suffering to him than an incalculable number of deaths due to factory farming. Both are tragic and sad. For Morrissey, the sheer numbers of animals killed daily, for no reason, is worse. Specifically for those reasons.

Taken literally, perhaps yes. However, in Northern parlance, "means nothing compared to" means, "is insignificant compared to". He is not saying it means nothing. He is saying that 76 deaths (in Norway) means less suffering to him than an incalculable number of deaths due to factory farming. Both are tragic and sad. For Morrissey, the sheer numbers of animals killed daily, for no reason, is worse. Specifically for those reasons.

there's no way of making what morrissey said right. if you reversed it to be something like citing norway as a reaction to a single case of animal cruelty or something....that just doesn't make sense and he wouldn't go for that. if some guy tortured/killed his dog and somebody was like oh that's terrible and a third party stepped in and said "so what? x amount of people died in norway." that would be inappropriate. comparisons like that are stupid, insensitive, and useless in either direction.

(oh)Dear Morrissey
(I don´t really know you, even though we shook hands briefly two years ago – but I guess that wouldn´t be
enough to call you by your surname - or even “Moz” for that matter)

I suspect you won´t be reading this – why on earth should you? You´re most likely not a reader of this blog in the first place and secondly, I assume that you have your head buried somewhere where the sun
doesn´t shine these days, that is, if one has heard your recent remarks.

For Christ sake, you have made controversial remarks throughout your career – hell that has even been one of the great things about you. Your quite harsh remarks about the Queen and royalty in general. Your hatred against Margaret Thatcher. All of that actually made me laugh from time to time and like you even more.
Your flirt with racism at The National Front Disco or waving the Union Jack around – even that was funny in a way – because nobody really believed you were a racist. And thankfully you later stated that it wasn´t the case!

But Sunday night, the 24th of july – that remark on stage in Poland? Why on earth did you do that? I am in any possible way aware of your love of animals and hatred against fast food chains all around the globe. I am aware, that being a vegetarian is the only humanly possible way to live, according to you. I respect you for your personal values. Hell I like a piece of bacon and eat meat every single day, that doesn´t mean that I didn´t enjoy your recent concert in Aarhus (actually maybe the best performance I´ve seen from you) or maybe more relevant – it doesn´t mean I haven´t got the right to enjoy your albums or even attend your concerts? Or well, maybe that will be the next step?

I can live with your needs of making every concert hall you visit “meat-less” – I can grab a piece of meat on my way home….no problem.

But it´s the militant or even fundamentalist views that has made me like you slightly less than I used to. I shouldn´t even make room and repeating the words, but why say the following:

“We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Shit every day.”

I am aware of the fact that people die every day by events caused by the way we live. As I write these sentences children are dying from AIDS in Africa and right now, there is a hunger calamity in Sudan (I bet they would like a cheeseburger right now or just something to eat!)

Controversy is great – actually I like it, because it makes people think when they are provoked. But there is a fine line between being provocative and being provocative just for the cause of it. In the last case, you can end up hurting people for no reason at all and I guess that is what has happened with your recent remark. Why on earth compare the irrational and meaningless killing of innocent people on an island in Norway with McDonalds or KFC or, as I guess your point is, killing animals for food?

In my world, you are just as fundamentalist and fanatical as the guy (whose name I won´t mention) that ended the lives of ordinary citizens, innocent young people with political views. I guess even some of them must have been Morrissey fans? Just because he didn´t think they had the right political views or ideals of being an ordinary human being as he did (he probably still thinks that in his cell somewhere).

I guess this won´t make me stop buying your albums – just yesterday I ordered the box-set of The Smiths albums – all records I already own. I won´t even mention how many cd´s I have including “Suedehead” or “Every Day Is Like Sunday” on them in the exact same versions. What was that sentence? “Re-issue, re-package…”

All I´m trying to say is – your work hasn´t suffered (yet) from your recent statement – but it has surely made me think about you in a different way. And heaven knows it has made me miserable to read your recent outburst. I would like to think, that you wasn´t thinking at the time you said it…..but somewhere I find that hard to believe? And I find that rather sad….

Now If you will excuse me – I´ll pop out for a bit of bacon.

Yours (a bit less) truly
Pter K

Re: Morrissey on Norway Massacre/Fast Food Companies - Bigmouth Strikes Again

I don`t know if this guy is a complete dick, or just plain stupid

He's just become an old washed up media hungry has-been, fade away Morrissey, you've been irrelevant for 20 yrs. Drink tea with sycophants who suck up to you embarrassingly, messr's Ross & Brand should do

I can't believe you're all getting in such a tizzy about this, hasn't he been saying this for about 30 years? I'm a veggie and know what he said about the massacre was a bit insensitive he's right in effect I don't for one minute think he's alientating the people who've suffered this tragedy but merely pointing out that it goes on everyday on a far greater scale and is just as gruesome in the meat industry. He'll be saying this stuff for the next 30 years as well.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I saw the point made on another forum, that if you take into account McDonalds role in famine in the third world (something to do with land/crops), he's actually right. I doubt he was alluding to this as well, but who knows. I imagine his hatred of the likes of Mcdonalds etc. probably does extend to their business practices as well.

Though it was a stupid thing to say.

Calm down boys.

I love the songs and the concerts but do not care about his political statements.

By the way, I'm a vegan and let me say, you're nothing but a poser for not being one...

So true. The fact that Morrissey self-righteously denounces the meat industry while virtually living on the dairy industry displays epic hypocrisy.

He's not belittling the tragedy in Norway, he's just framing it in the context of the brutality and slaughter that is dished out to animals on a daily basis. The incident in Norway is horrific and saddening; and he has acknowledged that- but also the treatment of animals is horrific on a daily basis. I'd guess that, for Moz, every day is like experiencing that feeling of horror, because the factory farming of animals, with all its abhorrent practises, continues each day.

No matter how offensive you believe his words to be, they are less offensive than having a bolt gun shot through your head, a fate that hundreds, if not thousands of animals will have suffered today in Britain alone.

To those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy, who have posted in this thread, you have my deepest sympathies. I can’t defend what Morrissey said, or at least the somewhat blunt way that it was expressed- those are his words, but I have no doubt that his words were said in sympathy, and were in no way meant to make light of the trauma your country has suffered. Morrissey is highlighting the brutality of two situations- human against human, human against animal.

Your explanation rests on one thing though... that animals are equal and to the same level as humans. Since the majority do not believe this .(I myself am in this group) We do not share his viewpoint and consider him an ass clown for even suggesting that the two events are on the same level let alone the processing and consumption of meat to be even more horrific.

Americans:you have a political "commentator" shithead, followed by millions of your fellow Americans, who described the tragically slain teenagers as being akin to the Hitler Youth. A far worse insult and lack of compassion and sensitivity than anything Morrissey said in Warsaw or in his statement.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OivA2of7tfM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OivA2of7tfM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The problem with YOUR post is that it relies on the idea that anyone actually pays attention to Glenn Beck. Even I don't pay him any attention.

Americans:you have a political "commentator" shithead, followed by millions of your fellow Americans, who described the tragically slain teenagers as being akin to the Hitler Youth. A far worse insult and lack of compassion and sensitivity than anything Morrissey said in Warsaw or in his statement.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OivA2of7tfM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OivA2of7tfM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The problem with YOUR post is that it relies on the idea that anyone actually pays attention to Glenn Beck. Even I don't pay him any attention.

By May 2008, it had reached over 280 terrestrial stations as well as XM Satellite. It was ranked 4th in the nation with over six and a half million listeners. Glenn Beck is number three in the ratings behind Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity

By May 2008, it had reached over 280 terrestrial stations as well as XM Satellite. It was ranked 4th in the nation with over six and a half million listeners. Glenn Beck is number three in the ratings behind Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity

Still dont see your point.

Tags
bigmouth fast food morrissey norway
Back
Top Bottom