morrissey on Oasis

my tuppence worth...

in the earlier interviews Moz was dismissive of Oasis because (I reckon) in the 90's they were the best band in the world, saleswise etc, so Moz would have been a bit pissed with them, remember Moz was playing sports halls whilst Oasis played sports stadiums.
Later when Moz was back on the up, his opinion changed, they aren't exactly competitors are they? Also their light ok hasn't gone out but isn't as bright as back in their heyday, so Moz can be more 'nice' about them eh?

love

Grim

It's not an opinion but Noel told a story on Russell Brand's radio show ages ago about Noel presenting Moz with an award at a ceremony, and when they walked off stage, Noel automatically followed Moz through the corridors and then out to a back entrance. Without saying a word Moz climbed into a car, leaving Noel locked out the venue and having to walk all the way round to front to get back in, whilst Moz looked on from the car puzzled that he'd followed him out.

From Wikiquote...

"Oasis are very tame to me. At a time when they have the spotlight of the world on them, they should have made the most revolutionary, creative record and instead it's practically awful. For a song which is trying so hard to create hooks, it doesn't really have any. God bless Noel; I'm sure he'll always have a spot on 'Bob's Full House', but I search for something with more bite and rage."

Cheers,

Peter

here is the complete quote
http://www.motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1997/import.htm
OASIS
M: "We definitely don't have the same hairdresser. I think the single is... almost awful. Very disappointing. At a time when they have the spotlight of the world on them, they should have made the most revolutionary, creative record and instead it's practically awful. For a song which is trying so hard to create hooks, it doesn't really have any. Apart from the 'Pictures Of Matchstick Men' by Status Quo middle - am I the first or the last person to say that? - there's nothing there. I liked 'Round Are Way'. But I like music which is slightly more anarchic, violent, confrontational. Oasis are very tame to me. God bless Noel; I'm sure he'll always have a spot on 'Bob's Full House,' but I search for something with more bite and rage."

i wonder of which single he is talking about?

here is the complete quote
http://www.motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1997/import.htm
OASIS
M: "We definitely don't have the same hairdresser. I think the single is... almost awful. Very disappointing. At a time when they have the spotlight of the world on them, they should have made the most revolutionary, creative record and instead it's practically awful. For a song which is trying so hard to create hooks, it doesn't really have any. Apart from the 'Pictures Of Matchstick Men' by Status Quo middle - am I the first or the last person to say that? - there's nothing there. I liked 'Round Are Way'. But I like music which is slightly more anarchic, violent, confrontational. Oasis are very tame to me. God bless Noel; I'm sure he'll always have a spot on 'Bob's Full House,' but I search for something with more bite and rage."

i wonder of which single he is talking about?

The interview was published in August 1997 so he could be talking about D'You Know What I Mean which was released in July.

Last edited:
i cant remember the exact wording but he first didmissedthem in an interview 94/95 but altered his opion and said in (word 2003) very nice things about them..also i read somewhere tht noel invited him to a party but moz didnt show up and sending a smithspostcard with the sentence" LETS GO SHOPLIFTING "
and his telephonenumber to noel but didnt pick up the phone whenever noel tried to rang

Sigh...a man after my own heart :p

I can't see Morrissey being a fan of Oasis. They suck.

Who do you admire?
There are certain people in modern pop who I am very impressed with. People like Bono and Noel Gallagher. I like them enormously. I understand Bono and I think he is worth supporting. When you meet him, you can see why he is very good at that ambassadorial role. He exudes a great sense of ease and enthusiasm. That's a gift. I've met him a few times. The first time was when I presented an award to him in Belfast about six years ago, and we talked at length. You can see he's a very loving and decent person and actually not remotely pretentious. And I think I understand Liam and Noel too. They've done so much for Manchester music, and saleswise they've put so many people in their place. They're very natural. They present themselves as they truly, absolutely are, which is admirable. They don't try to present some rock persona.

Some people would say that's exactly what they do.
I think they're very honest. I haven't had many dealings with them but I met Liam on the plane to Dublin, and I met Noel a few months ago in Australia. Liam was absolutely convivial. It is one of the tricks of the papers to make people out to be monsters, and you meet them and they're terribly sweet and quiet.

(Word, 2003)

Interesting the quote about Bono. I would have guessed that Moz would not like him much. I dunno why I just did. But I'm a big U2 fan so it's cool that my 2 musical heroes get along.

What a great thread...Can't believe I just stumbled upon it today.
To add to all this, I have a personal account of Moz feelings for the band, and there seems to be love and mutual respect as musicians, however the LOVE Morrissey, Noel and Rkid have for Manchester is un parallel to any other Manchester band/group/Artist if you like.
I met Morrissey this one time at The Troubadour, and after the gig, him and I exchanged a few words. I was wearing an Oasis shirt under my zip up Manchester sweater, and he took notice of it, and started saying nice things about them and the new lp they (Oasis) were working on, and Manchester. Told him both Noel and Liam and the rest of the band were spotted at his Universal Amphitheater (Nov 2004) a few months back

Any diehard Oasis fans on this site?

PS, anyone wanna sell me a copy of this "importance of bieng Morrissey" dvd?

What a great thread...Can't believe I just stumbled upon it today.
To add to all this, I have a personal account of Moz feelings for the band, and there seems to be love and mutual respect as musicians, however the LOVE Morrissey, Noel and Rkid have for Manchester is un parallel to any other Manchester band/group/Artist if you like.
I met Morrissey this one time at The Troubadour, and after the gig, him and I exchanged a few words. I was wearing an Oasis shirt under my zip up Manchester sweater, and he took notice of it, and started saying nice things about them and the new lp they (Oasis) were working on, and Manchester. Told him both Noel and Liam and the rest of the band were spotted at his Universal Amphitheater (Nov 2004) a few months back

Any diehard Oasis fans on this site?

PS, anyone wanna sell me a copy of this "importance of bieng Morrissey" dvd?

*waves* hello :)

yeas i am a die hard oasis fan, thats why i started the thread, always wondered if moz was a fan of theirs i know they are of him

yeas i am a die hard oasis fan, thats why i started the thread, always wondered if moz was a fan of theirs i know they are of him

good to see other Moz/Smiths being diehard Oasis fans too. Been into the Smiths since about 88/89. Id get my allowance and go buy Moz/Smiths stuff. I was the chick that always wore a Moz/Smiths shirt to school then when I got a job, Id rock Smiths/Moz all the time. Around 1994 my friend told me Johnny Marr'd been blabbin about this new band "Oasis" that was f***in cool....and the rest, as they say, is history.
Johnny Marr's kid brother, Ian was friends with Noel and allegedly helped introduce them to Marcus Russell, who was managing Johnny. I like the work Johnny has done with them...wonder what Moz makes of it? I'd LOVE to see Moz and Noel do some work together, very interesting. Morrissey is the best lyricist and has a supperbbb vox, and Noel has a certain way of guitar playing that would make for a very excellent project...IMO.

i ve read that noel get into playing guitar after seeing johnny playing what difference at top of the pops...the interview was included in the " moz and the music of manchester" q specialmag..i cannot recall the exact wording ...

noel:
"moz was talking about keats and yeats- and i thought:is that some kind of cerial?"

(...)

Interesting the quote about Bono. I would have guessed that Moz would not like him much. I dunno why I just did. But I'm a big U2 fan so it's cool that my 2 musical heroes get along.

Same here.

I think Bono can be VERY convincing. I've met 2 people who didn't care for him that much -musicwise- or thought he was a pretentious jerk and met him by accident. They thought he was just charming.

Also, I think Bono has a lot of respect for Morrissey, he said on multiple occasions that he thought The Smiths were going to be as big as U2 but didn't due to a lack of management mostly...

Tags
morrissey quote
Back
Top Bottom