Morrissey on Politics, David Bowie, What His Fans Taught Him - interview in Rolling Stone

On the voting front, it's difficult to argue that we actually have a choice. The information that we're force fed in the run up to any election and especially the EU referendum is pure horse shit and people on the whole don't appear to be to fussed about getting beyond that to inform themselves in what they're voting for. So what we invariable get as the winners are the team that buys the media. That's before you go to a local level and see the pointlessness of voting unless you're in a region that doesn't have a safe seat.

The whole thing is a rigged game aimed at stirring apathy, and that isn't apathy in that people don't care, but apathy in the knowledge that those in power ensure that we have no choice thanks to the shit electoral system that they've kept, the gerrymandering and the brilliant use of propaganda to control the idiots among us meaning what happens is what those in power dictate.

I usually vote but it's absolutely f***ing pointless doing so all things considered.

On the voting front, it's difficult to argue that we actually have a choice. The information that we're force fed in the run up to any election and especially the EU referendum is pure horse shit and people on the whole don't appear to be to fussed about getting beyond that to inform themselves in what they're voting for. So what we invariable get as the winners are the team that buys the media. That's before you go to a local level and see the pointlessness of voting unless you're in a region that doesn't have a safe seat.

The whole thing is a rigged game aimed at stirring apathy, and that isn't apathy in that people don't care, but apathy in the knowledge that those in power ensure that we have no choice thanks to the shit electoral system that they've kept, the gerrymandering and the brilliant use of propaganda to control the idiots among us meaning what happens is what those in power dictate.

I usually vote but it's absolutely f***ing pointless doing so all things considered.
I always vote because it's compulsory here and I don't have a problem filling out my ballot. It's just going through the motions basically. If nothing else I have avoided a hefty fine. Past that it's f***ing pointless.

I appreciate your effort to psychoanalyze my hero, but he has life-long friends and strong family bonds, which throws a lot of what you said out the window. He's different than me. I couldn't hold onto my friends because I didn't like them and I guess it all depends on your definition of "friends." My family are all dysfunctional too, but I don't let it burden me. Wish I could be a part of Mozzer's winning team, but I don't have nepotism advantages. Oh well.

#HomeIsAQuestionMark
#WhatShouldIDo

It only confirms my belief that Morrissey suffers from a detached personality disorder. I believe that his teenager years were so difficult, and traumatic that he essentially stopped developing emotionally at that time. I think the cruel nature of seventies England, strife at home, and a confused sexuality scarred him emotionally to the point where he couldn't trust people, and develop lasting relationships. I'm sure he was bullied, and that alone can be enough to cause a deep distrust of other people; if not a burning resentment.

Considering the time period, I suspect he didn't experience much nurturing. Fathers weren't raised to nurture their sons, and mothers could be cold; especially in England. His mother sounds fairly doting, but little is known beyond the fact that she let him float. I suspect she saw early signs of his sexuality, and didn't want to pile on. He mentioned that other family members would call her out on being too lenient with him.

On the other hand, it worked out for him. He developed a career where he doesn't have to move on, and one that was probably his only chance at being able to remain independent, and take care of himself. You could even argue that maintaining that adolescent fixation is conducive to sustaining an artist's creativity. The worst thing to happen to aging artists is that they become too practical, and inhibited in their outlook when expressing themselves. Some people see it as growing, but also comes across as boring. If you're not raising children, who cares?

The reality is, post WWII parents created a lot of lingering resentment in their children. I've never heard of a generation before Generation X that seemed to dislike their parents as much as they did. In America, the Vietnam War added to this generational resentment, and the fraying of family bonds. To aspire to your parents life was a form of suicide, or at the very least, a severe form of punishment. Many parents often gave the impression that they didn't even like their children (in the form of "jokes" of course.)

I don't see that same level of resentment in the current generations. Teens seem to have warmer relationships with their parents now. They can converse with them much more freely which creates deeper bonds that last into adulthood.

It's just sad how much social, and political damage the boomer generation has caused. They will go down in history as the most destructive generation. They don't even like themselves.

They created a generation of kids that wanted their parents destroyed, and who could blame them?

Very nice of Morrissey to say some kind words about David Bowie. It means a lot to the Bowie family. By all accounts, Morrisseys lyrical talent was something that David always wished he possessed.

Never trust anyone who buys wool!

Why is “animal slaughter” in quotes?

Yes you do have that right and you didn't even have to vote to say it.

But how long would you have that right to speak out if all the intelligent people didn't vote? I'm in the US and what is going on is truly scary - the media, newspapers being bought out by right-wing billionaires, the future of the internet in doubt. It's all boils down to voting in this country. If Hillary were president, sure we'd have problems, but not to the extent that we do now.

And by the way, I loved that interview with Moz!

I thought that was rather sad. We all pine for moments, feelings, people, and places that are gone forever sometimes. But to do it constantly only distorts and fetishizes the memory until it is warped beyond recognition. Into a perverted and idealized version far from the reality. Even if we could travel back to those moments, they wouldn't be the same because we aren't. For every happy thing discovered, twenty more frustrating/sad/bad ones would appear. Rose colored classes may make dog shit look like chocolate, but they can't change the taste.
Yep ;).

But how long would you have that right to speak out if all the intelligent people didn't vote? I'm in the US and what is going on is truly scary - the media, newspapers being bought out by right-wing billionaires, the future of the internet in doubt. It's all boils down to voting in this country. If Hillary were president, sure we'd have problems, but not to the extent that we do now.

People in Russia are allowed to vote but it doesn't and won't ever make the slightest bit of difference. It's just more extreme than for either the US or the UK. Certain people have an ideological grip of the media and we're force fed the way that we will live every day and people buy into it and then vote how they're told to. Then if you get a person over there that wants to buck the trend and introduce things that might actually be good for the population they're just scuppered at every turn.

I think we're heading to the Russian ideal, it's inevitable.

People in Russia are allowed to vote but it doesn't and won't ever make the slightest bit of difference. It's just more extreme than for either the US or the UK. Certain people have an ideological grip of the media and we're force fed the way that we will live every day and people buy into it and then vote how they're told to. Then if you get a person over there that wants to buck the trend and introduce things that might actually be good for the population they're just scuppered at every turn.

I think we're heading to the Russian ideal, it's inevitable.

I never thought I'd see the reactionary things I'm seeing and hearing return full-force in my lifetime, but there it is.

For the betterment of their party the left needed this kick in the pants but they've wasted the opportunity to wake up out of their slumber and have turned into whining children.

f*** Hillary and all politicians.

For the betterment of their party the left needed this kick in the pants but they've wasted the opportunity to wake up out of their slumber and have turned into whining children.
If they hadn't done what they did to Bernie, he would most probably be the President. At least that's how I see it.

guess Spin was turned down.
Spin has been there and done that much better than Rolling Stone. Put him on the cover in '88. Some of us remember how that rag RS tried to out Morrissey at first chance. Spin was always complimentary and a damn sight better than that pos RS. Where's the Morrissey RS cover? Never happened. That's bullshit. Too busy putting Britney Spears on there. She's more important to them and they can f*** off. Morrissey should be ashamed of himself for granting an interview to them.

Last edited:
Spin has been there and done that much better than Rolling Stone. Put him on the cover in '88. Some of us remember how that rag RS tried to out Morrissey at first chance. Spin was always complimentary and a damn sight better than that pos that RS. Where's the Morrissey RS cover? Never happened. That's bullshit. Too busy putting Britney Spears on there. She's more important to them and they can f*** off. Morrissey should be ashamed of himself for granting an interview to them.

I can recall Morrissey on the cover of Spin at least 3 times. Did an image search, here's the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spin+morrissey+cover&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch

I always vote because it's compulsory here and I don't have a problem filling out my ballot. It's just going through the motions basically. If nothing else I have avoided a hefty fine. Past that it's f***ing pointless.
What horrible place do you live that makes it compulsory to vote and fines you if you don't?

Tags
interview low in high school info morrissey

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom