Morrissey...one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound

FWIW

The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound
These are the voices that continue to touch, console, inspire, and empower us

It’s been observed that pop-culture writers have a penchant for ranking anything and everything. We’re cited for spending countless hours trying to assess, sort, and file that which seems patently subjective or, far more damning, so beautiful, transcendent, or numinous as to be above slotting on a mere list...

Artists

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW

from: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/11/the-100-greatest-singers-of-all-time/

It’s been observed that pop-culture writers have a penchant for ranking anything and everything. We’re cited for spending countless hours trying to assess, sort, and file that which seems patently subjective or, far more damning, so beautiful, transcendent, or numinous as to be above slotting on a mere list. Admittedly, we can often be found guilty of peddling our opinions as objective fact. But I can’t cop to the latter charge quite so quickly. If you read through the entries to come, I guarantee you’ll find the appropriate sense of gratitude and awe as my colleagues and I struggle to, as Nick Hornby once put it, “make the ineffable effing effable.” That is, try to explain why these singers move us as they do.

No task as daunting as ranking the greatest singers of all time comes easily. Rubrics were made, remade, and subsequently trashed. Compromises were struck, concessions made, hearts broken, lifelong friendships terminated – the usual. And that age-old question reared its ugly head once more: Can a person with a terrible voice by traditional standards still be a great singer? (Big surprise, the jury’s still out among us.) Even with science weighing in and telling us that Freddie and Whitney are no-brainers, we agreed that science can’t account for everything just yet. Instead, we went with our guts, hoping, as always, that our guts don’t have shit for brains. I think Nick Hornby may have said that, too.

So, here are the 100 greatest singers of all time. Read on, and you’ll find kings and queens, divas and introverts, dancers and wallflowers, belters and growlers, storytellers and testifiers, seducers and wingmen, Simon and, well, maybe just Simon. However you’ve come to define “great,” these are the voices that continue to touch, console, inspire, and empower us. Feel free to tell us who we missed or how we blew it in the comments section, but even more importantly, find a singer on this list that you love and share the gift of their voice with someone in your life. As 2016 has shown us time and time again, the artists we lean upon won’t be with us forever. Let’s make sure their music sticks around.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cohen.

–Matt Melis
Editorial Director

Artists

Where the f*** is Scott Walker, the Walker bros, Don and Phil Everly, the Righteous brothers or even one of them? Never heard of? Hmm? No? I could say that for at least 35% of the names listed! :crazy:
What a bunch of utter braindeads!
Music journalists, what DO they know. :laughing:
Only things that are irrelevant.
f*** them! :swear

WHAT NO... MARK.E SMITH !!!? :angry::angry::angry::angry:

WHAT NO... MARK.E SMITH !!!? :angry::angry::angry::angry:

You are right in this case. :D
I could leave a dozen out of the list and replace them for Mark.E Smith!
And I am not even a fan!
By the way, where does the E stand for in his name?
Not Edward, I hope? Too posh!!
I have to admit his name looks so much more interesting than just Mark Smith. o_O
But, as I very hastily declare, I AGREE, 100%. Pheww
:mock: :drama: :swear. :head-smack:.

You are right in this case. :D
I could leave a dozen out of the list and replace them for Mark.E Smith!
And I am not even a fan!
By the way, where does the E stand for in his name?
Not Edward, I hope? Too posh!!
I have to admit his name looks so much more interesting than just Mark Smith. o_O
But, as I very hastily declare, I AGREE, 100%. Pheww
:mock: :drama: :swear. :head-smack:.

right in any case. Edward yes posh spice not. So many names that shouldn't even be on this planet never mind on that list. 'Morrissey...one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time' what? 'one of'? ONE OF !? Morrissey IS the greatest singer of all time ! :p Anyways, it's a silly list... so many greats not listed.

Last edited:
right in any case. Edward yes posh spice not. So many names that shouldn't even be on this planet never mind that list. 'Morrissey...one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time' what? 'one of'? ONE OF !? Morrissey IS the greatest singer of all time ! :p Anyways, it's a silly list... so many greats not listed.

Of course!
I have to apologize for not stating that in the first place!
You beat me to it, and justifiable so! ;)

I'm a big Elliott smith fan but he shouldn't be on a list of greatest singers. Also no super lungs

Ray Charles! Love the mess around..

Well in any case, he IS on that list so what is your point?
The mess around?
For God sake the name right above him is PRINCE!!
TAFKAP SHOULD BE THERE TOO!!!
:mock:. :head-smack:. :swear. :angry:

While I agree with many names on the list (Morrissey has a gorgeous voice), I join the folks who are wondering about the inclusion of some/exclusion of others. Is Bob Dylan a great songwriter? Certainly. Did/does he know how to turn a phrase in a delightful sardonic fashion? Yes. Is his ability to sing great? That's up for debate. Why then, no Neil Young, for example. Fun list to argue frivolously about, though!

FWIW

The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound
These are the voices that continue to touch, console, inspire, and empower us

It’s been observed that pop-culture writers have a penchant for ranking anything and everything. We’re cited for spending countless hours trying to assess, sort, and file that which seems patently subjective or, far more damning, so beautiful, transcendent, or numinous as to be above slotting on a mere list...

Artists
Where is Mick Jagger?
Merle Haggard (if only for White Line Fever!)? o_O
Gene Pitney?
GRAM PARSONS, FOR GODSAKE.!!?? :crazy:
These muso's what do they know!
Nothing, Nada. :swear :barf:

While I agree with many names on the list (Morrissey has a gorgeous voice), I join the folks who are wondering about the inclusion of some/exclusion of others. Is Bob Dylan a great songwriter? Certainly. Did/does he know how to turn a phrase in a delightful sardonic fashion? Yes. Is his ability to sing great? That's up for debate. Why then, no Neil Young, for example. Fun list to argue frivolously about, though!

I personally would say Dylan's voice has consistently a lot more character than youngs

A place for Thom Yorke, but not for Scott Walker? Thom Yorke? Oh heck...Noddy Holder is more deserving of a place.

No Shane McGowan. No Christy Moore. No Colin Meloy.

That's the danger with subjective lists, I suppose.

A place for Thom Yorke, but not for Scott Walker? Thom Yorke? Oh heck...Noddy Holder is more deserving of a place.

No Shane McGowan. No Christy Moore. No Colin Meloy.

That's the danger with subjective lists, I suppose.

Yes, but those music-journos pretend to be "objective" when it suits them fine, like with this list, but come on, like you said, no Scott Walker? How can you ever be taken serious again !
Nevah!

And, a lot of posters, like you, did come up with so many omissions.
And when they are confronted with this they start with the excuse of it being all subjective of course. Always after.
Just state that with a big banner before you publish that list!
Let them just be honest about it.

Meloy is a very professional singer but his voice while being good isn't all that strong at times. I love the decemberists though. One of my fav bands. Maynard is another weird one I think. Chooses some interesting vocal melodies but not the strongest voice imo

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom