Morrissey...one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound

FWIW

The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound
These are the voices that continue to touch, console, inspire, and empower us

It’s been observed that pop-culture writers have a penchant for ranking anything and everything. We’re cited for spending countless hours trying to assess, sort, and file that which seems patently subjective or, far more damning, so beautiful, transcendent, or numinous as to be above slotting on a mere list...

Artists

Last edited by a moderator:
Madonna! She really really cannot sing. In fact she is a reasonable dancer and that's about it. She missed her true calling as an aerobics instructor.

How many of Morrissey's most admired singers make the list?

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_140101_01

right. I'm surprised at what names didn't make his list. We should complain ! ;)

I just don't think very much that came out of the 90's on can be labeled as 'great'.

Is this just my taste in vocalists? or was there something in the drinking water that produced such characterful/beautiful voices that's not there anymore?

Isn't about time now to create our OWN list?
All names missing but stated in this thread?
Of course, also the ones that are rightly there in the one we're discussing right now, so?
I am as arrogant to say, that that list is far more interesting and has more to say, and is more informative!
And is of a higher quality!
So there.

Lauryn Hill? She had a great first album with the Miseducation Of... but a great singer? None of the recent singers on this list have anything to say whatsoever other than vocal acrobatics. At least there's no Aguliera, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and the rest of those hacks.

Lauryn Hill? She had a great first album with the Miseducation Of... but a great singer? None of the recent singers on this list have anything to say whatsoever other than vocal acrobatics. At least there's no Aguliera, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and the rest of those hacks.

I'm not a big fan of Florence Welch myself. Has a strong voice but has not impressed me much. I'm not a big fan of belters

Chaka Khan, Ive seen her twice. That is a singer. She still nails it every single time to this day. She should be in the top 5 of this list with the Orb. [Orbison].

Chaka Khan, Ive seen her twice. That is a singer. She still nails it every single time to this day. She should be in the top 5 of this list with the Orb. [Orbison].

Yes!
Chaka Khan!
Still have the album on vinyl Rufus featuring Chaka Khan!
She must be on the list!
Cheers

Elvis at number 44 is just ludicrous. Perverse, even. He has more power, more originality and is technically superior to any of the other singers on this list.

I also miss Scott Walker, Billy Idol, Joey Ramone, Conor Oberst, Jason Molina and Morten Harket.

It's nice that Michael "won", however. Deserving.

Oh, and Jim Morrison and Sinatra should be higher up. And Bruce as well.

Oh look, another arbitrary list.

Anyway, if Jackson is one, Madge should at least be two. #queenofpop

Ooooh, let it rain "dislikes".

Last edited:
She didn't even write Holiday. She didn't even write this.

No, but Jackson didn't write all of his songs, either. He didn't write Thriller (the song) for example.

I think this list looks at the gesamtkonzept. If it was about "best composers", surely Burt Bacharach would have to be on it?

No, but Jackson didn't write all of his songs, either. He didn't write Thriller (the song) for example.

I think this list looks at the gesamtkonzept. If it was about "best composers", surely Burt Bacharach would have to be on it?
MJ wrote a hell of a lot of his own stuff, though. The vast majority of Bad, Dangerous, History, Invincible. At least half of Thriller (incl one of the greatest pop songs of all time, Billie Jean). And almost half of Off the Wall.

I'm surprised at the amount of Jackson fans and Jackson defenders here on Morrissey-solo. It's not like M and MJ have an awful lot in common.

Personally I dislike MJ's music and I dislike his bullshit even more, but he was a good pop star and entertainer. But so were/are a lot of other people. I don't get what's so great about him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom