Morrissey Owes Us Nothing

Re: Morrissey Owes Us Nothing.

Fair enough, but viewing a thread where 35% of the responses read as "you cannot see this post because the originator is a jack-ass" does rather detract from the flow of a debate. And your responses can still be quoted. You say that Fiona's thread is ridiculous, but she hits upon a real truth.

Read Autobiography, the man himself admits to errors, weaknesses and that "sometimes it is a relief to be wrong". Is there a man or woman on earth with no inconsistency or mild hypocrisy in the way they live their lives? Not many in any walk of life, and certainly not in the music world.

I await the drop of a 1980's VW Polo on my argument...

Oh, and I wonder which professional nay-sayer gave your post a thumbs up...

I've been 'visiting' this site for years but only just recently registered and actually started reading the threads/discussions/character assassinations (not only of Morrissey but also of frequent/prolific members/commenter's.)

So I agree with Fiona's overall sentiment, Morrissey does not owe me a thing, nothing, you get what you pay for*. Music! Entertainment! if you engage beyond the recordings and read the interviews/book(s), additional insight. What more should one expect? What more is actually due? This is a genuine question, not a slur or attack on those who insist on using every opportunity to settle some score I cannot fathom.

I regard myself as a 'fanatic' rather than a 'fundamentalist' when it come's to all things Moz, but I can generally go about my day unhindered by my 'Gra' for the man. I listen to his music pretty much at some point most day's (some more than others) and am always pleased when I come across some new piece of news or trivia that I didn't know before. That's pretty much it, end of... I don't mean this as any kind of disrespect to those who seek out more, they are perhaps more committed than I.

But, I'll be honest, I'm a little more than baffled by those who spend an obscene amount of time seeking out ways to find fault with the man. Frankly, I'm confused by it and respectfully suggest that you (if you identify with the above), find more productive ways to spend your time.

* where shows are cancelled a refund is offered, so your money is returned therefore you didn't spend anything therefore you get what you pay for, where a walk off happens, you do get a show, just a very short one.

After scanning some of the discussions (and arguments) on the forums, it really struck me that it seems that much of the fans irritation and anger seems to stem from disappointment. Disappointment in Morrissey for not matching up to our ideals, hopes and expectations. If it's not about his latest musical release, it's his diet and vegetarianism. If it's not about his ill health, it's about our frustration at his lack of public confirmation.

Obviously, we are all fans, therefore we are interested, curious and passionate. We want to know it all. We are only human and we are bound to have hopes and investment in our favorite artist.

But Morrissey as a human being does not belong to us. He is not ours to condemn. His music is his gift to the fans, his interviews are glimpses into his psyche, but beyond that we do not really have a right to be contemptuous of his lifestyle, choices and actions.

I am a vegan, and I thank Morrissey for educating his fans on animal rights, but I am in no place to sit in judgement of what does (or does not!) pass his lips...It's his choice, his own ethics that he abides by, not mine. Not ours. You may call him a hypocrite, but you do not know the truth with certainty. And to an extent we are all hypocrites...to be human is to be flawed, I'm afraid.

I think it is probably healthy to be reminded that artists, while public figures, are not public property.
If somehow you, or we, feel failed by Morrissey, then I believe the fault lies with us-for having thrown him atop our metaphorical pedestal and claimed him as our representative. Morrissey never promised us anything, and all we have to own is the music. Music that makes him a very wonderful, powerful being.

In the past I have called Morrissey my hero. In a sense it's true: He has impacted my life in such a positive and powerful way, I will always have so much love and respect for Morrissey. But the moment I catch myself slandering his name because I believe he fails me or my ideals, I will ask you all to remind me of this thread.

Utoya. Simple as that. After years of jumping up and down on the line with big boots on he leapt over it. Everything else he has said can be put down to a political opinion, but that was a defining moment for him, where he proved himself to be an oaf.

There's no coming back from that fifteen seconds of unadulterated idiocy. He's been paying for it since he said it. it was a career wrecking moment, when the real Morrissey finally showed his true colours. Proof if needed that there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Ultimately who really gives a f*** what Morrissey does or says? He ain't killing no one. He ain't molesting no children. He ain't trafficking cocaine. He ain't rapin' nobody. He ain't a motherf***ing ISIS terrorist.

I say all kinds of shit in private that would make me look bad. The fact is Morrissey has the balls to say certain things publicly and whether he is being semi-flippant or not is often ignored for the sake of the pathetic and predictable politically correct reaction of public outrage and condemnation of the statement Morrissey has made and even condemnation of the man himself. And over what? Some pithy comment he made that was intended to get a rise out of people and to get people talking about a certain topic. Whether it's bad publicity or not if Morrissey says eating meat is no better than the Nazis killing Jews it still gets you to stop and think and weigh the pros and cons of eating meat at least in between predictable bursts of outrage from certain people regarding his comment.

Well you know what? People who get outraged over provocative comments like that are f***ing suckers. You people that react to Morrissey's attempt to create some controversy to get an issue talked about are motherf***ing suckers and you don't even realize that you are playing right into Morrissey's hand. He wanted the public to think about an issue? Well he got you talking didn't he? He doesn't give a f*** what people think. It's not about him. If he got you thinking about the negative side of eating meat or whatever else for a second then you're a f***ing fish in a motherf***ing barrel.

And so that leads us to the vegan issue. Who f***ing cares what Morrissey chooses to eat or wear? I'm not a vegetarian and while I'm not a huge fan of meat I'm not willing to give it up entirely. I'm gonna eat bacon. I'm gonna eat chicken. I'm gonna eat a motherf***ing sausage now and again. So f***ing what. I don't care what Morrissey thinks about it and I don't give a fifteen second f*** what anyone else has to say either.

If you see Morrissey in a restaurant devouring a steak then go ahead and call him a f***ing hypocrite. But let's not nitpick. Who f***ing cares if he fancies a wee slice of cheese? I f***ing don't. What next? Is he gonna lose two hundred fans because we found out he isn't a fan of bananas? That must mean he doesn't like sucking dick. Oh well that must mean he's in denial about his sexuality. Well there goes another five hundred fans.

Morrissey can do whatever the f*** he wants.

Al Pacino has now left the building.

I've been 'visiting' this site for years but only just recently registered and actually started reading the threads/discussions/character assassinations (not only of Morrissey but also of frequent/prolific members/commenter's.)

So I agree with Fiona's overall sentiment, Morrissey does not owe me a thing, nothing, you get what you pay for*. Music! Entertainment! if you engage beyond the recordings and read the interviews/book(s), additional insight. What more should one expect? What more is actually due? This is a genuine question, not a slur or attack on those who insist on using every opportunity to settle some score I cannot fathom.

I regard myself as a 'fanatic' rather than a 'fundamentalist' when it come's to all things Moz, but I can generally go about my day unhindered by my 'Gra' for the man. I listen to his music pretty much at some point most day's (some more than others) and am always pleased when I come across some new piece of news or trivia that I didn't know before. That's pretty much it, end of... I don't mean this as any kind of disrespect to those who seek out more, they are perhaps more committed than I.

But, I'll be honest, I'm a little more than baffled by those who spend an obscene amount of time seeking out ways to find fault with the man. Frankly, I'm confused by it and respectfully suggest that you (if you identify with the above), find more productive ways to spend your time.

* where shows are cancelled a refund is offered, so your money is returned therefore you didn't spend anything therefore you get what you pay for, where a walk off happens, you do get a show, just a very short one.

And I suggest you mind your own business! It's hardly a productive use of your time, is it? And what's with 'obscene'? Some might think the fact that you admit to listening to Morrissey every day is an obscenity. Why would you care? Why should I care what you think? I don't.

Debunking hysterical myths about entertainment, fans, politics and so-called 'stars' like Morrissey is actually an educational and worthwhile use of my time: IN MY OPINION. I don't ask anyone to share or endorse that opinion because it's none of their business why debunking the nonsenses of Morrissey amuses and educates me.

Please let Morrissey know you set limits on your engagement with him and ask him to stop blathering "I love you! I love you!" at concerts. He's not Sally Fields, but he should get an Oscar for insincerity. An Oscar made of cheese.

best
BB

Last night I saw the Smashing Pumpkins and was under the distinct impression that Billy Corgan was bored out of his mind and openly mocking the fans. "Rock and roll, woooooooo" and turning to his band mates and laughing at fan antics. Open disgust at the crowd going nuts for Rat in a Cage while getting no response from new material.

In all the shows and YouTube clips, I've NEVER seen Morrissey do that. And the trollios cry diva with the cancellations and Smithless set lists, but Morrissey truly respects his fans, at least to their faces.

It was awkward to witness last night. The fans thought he was just being cool but I noticed that stand-at-cashwrap-and-mock-the-customers vibe because I've done that. But paying 80 bucks to have it done to me felt off.

Last edited:

Last night I saw the Smashing Pumpkins and was under the distinct impression that Billy Corgan was bored out of his mind and openly mocking the fans. "Rock and roll, woooooooo" and turning to his band mates and laughing at fan antics. Open disgust at the crowd going nuts for Rat in a Cage while getting no response from new material.

In all the shows and YouTube clips, I've NEVER seen Morrissey do that. And the trollios cry diva with the cancellations and Smithless set lists, but Morrissey truly respects his fans, at least to their faces.

It was awkward to witness last night. The fans thought he was just being cool but I noticed that stand-at-cashwrap-and-mock-the-customers vibe because I've done that. But paying 80 bucks to have it done to me felt off.

Cynically playing SATU in Warsaw to avoid triggering a refund to customers was EXACTLY the same, if not worse, behaviour. If he'd genuinely 'not felt safe' on the stage, he'd have hardly turned his back to sing the final song before flouncing off in a hissy fit diva drama exit, would he?

Morrissey respects The List, the Cult Casualties like you who reflect back to him that he is 'unique' and a 'genius' and all the rest of the bullshit. You really couldn't have raised a more damning comparison.

best
BB

To the "person" on here who found my twitter account, started a profile called KILL FIONA, and called me a bitch, just to let you know I screen-capped your tweet as soon as I saw it, and will forward it to relevant authorities IF you try this again. Online harassment is taken very, very seriously nowadays.

Jesus - you don't have to put up with that. I'd get the cops onto it now. *EDIT* I just saw it on Twitter, and have reported it for harassment. If enough people do that it will be taken down.

P.

Last edited:

To the "person" on here who found my twitter account, started a profile called KILL FIONA, and called me a bitch, just to let you know I screen-capped your tweet as soon as I saw it, and will forward it to relevant authorities IF you try this again. Online harassment is taken very, very seriously nowadays.

Report it now.

UncleSkinny and RealityBites - Thanks for your comments and for reporting already.

What the hell?!?

If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know. I tried to find it to report it as well (cuz that's beyond messed up), but I was unable to. I'm very sorry someone has nothing better to do with their time other than to violate your comfort and cause grief.

Hugs!

You don't need to wait for a repeat. Report it to the police. They can easily find out who set up the profile and made a criminal threat.

best
BB

I can't find the account now, it might have been taken down. I got a screen shot with time while it was up, if that's any use.

P.

He is not a vegan. He eats cheese and wears leather shoes. Just like I do. Sorry to puncture your balloon.

P.

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't.

He mentioned his veganism in some of the latest interviews. He said something about "my veganism". I assume he's vegan, although it indeed took him some time. He also said that giving up leather shoes was difficult, but again, he obviously gave up leather shoes.

Back to topic.

Indeed, Morrissey owes us nothing, but that is something that only the sycophants have understood, while his biggest critics (I'm not saying haters, although I'm tempted) have the approach that it is Morrissey's duty to acknowledge everything they write about him. Which is funny, because the critics thereby reveal that they're far more obsessed than the sycophants, who have understood where their place is, in that group of millions of fans. Some Johnny Barleycorn however thinks, Morrissey must deal with him and his thoughts. I find that rather ridiculous.

He mentioned his veganism in some of the latest interviews. He said something about "my veganism". I assume he's vegan, although it indeed took him some time. He also said that giving up leather shoes was difficult, but again, he obviously gave up leather shoes.

You have no proof of either of those, because there isn't any. You are assuming stuff to fit your agenda. In a Loaded interview in the last year he was eating a cheese sandwich. He is NOT a vegan. And he wears leather shoes. You really, really ought to rely on facts rather than supposition.

P.

You have no proof of either of those, because there isn't any. You are assuming stuff to fit your agenda. In a Loaded interview in the lasst year he was eating a cheese sandwich. He is NOT a vegan. And he wears leather shoes. You really, really ought to rely on facts rather than supposition.

P.

I just presented you facts. And you know what, I'm going to find that interview to prove it.

You presented supposition, I presented facts. Jesus, you can't even get that right.

P.

Are you generally capable of writing a posting WITHOUT an insult?

I'm referring to the last paragraph of this interview: http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2014/10/03/actualidad/1412359988_924672.html

Meanwhile, Morrissey must face vexing moral and aesthetic dilemmas. Open your heart: "I have a problem with synthetic leather shoes. I stopped using fake leather jackets because people are confused and accusing me of using real leather. It's easy to stop eating meat and forget the eggs and milk: once you feel better ethics and physically. But synthetic leather shoes are more uncomfortable than genuine leather. It is the last barrier to those who do not want to exploit animals in any way. "

He says he gave up meat, eggs and milk. Which to me says "vegan", but I think if he turned vegan, it must have been only recently. You might be right about the leather shoes though, he stays a bit blurry on that.

He again mentions his veganism here: http://www.abc.es/cultura/musica/20141003/abci-morrisey-201410022300.html

It's by a holder of a tabloid, about my veganism and my defense of animals. The headline was "Morrissey kill you." I do not remember who wrote it, I always have to deal with stupid. I know most will seem bad, but I hope there who take it with a sense of humor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom