Morrissey performing new (old) ver. of It's Hard to Walk...

King Leer

Leering since '97
I've checked the boards here and Spencer's FB page, but haven't been able to find out the story behind Morrissey performing the alternate (is it accurate to call it "original"?) version of It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small on the current tour.

I believe it was January of this year when Uncle Skinny posted the Maladjusted b-side session recording (thanks again for that). It's really of a piece with Lost.

Now Morrissey is performing that version. I assume he listened to it, for perhaps the first time since the late 90s, and thought it was worth including in the concerts. Must be the first case of leak->live happening in his touring history.

Anybody catalogue the differences in lyrics between the leaked track, the Quarry b-side, and this current live version? (Yes, I want someone to do all the heavy lifting while I just sit and read.)

And finally, which version do you all prefer?

Oh, didn't realise this, King. Thanks for pointing out.
Isn't it essentially a completely different musical composition i.e. a soft, downbeat strummy thing with the music written by someone else (S Cobrin?) rather than Whyte?
Maybe this was the new song that someone tweeted about having to learn...

Yes, I mentioned checking Spencer's FB page to see if he'd commented on it being resurrected for the tour. When the leak happened he did speak fondly about the song. His compositions from that era such as Wide to Receive, Lost and this have a particular, very appealing feel to them.

And you're probably right about the "new songs" thing. That must've referred to this, Have-a-go..., and other songs yet to debut on this tour.

Oh, didn't realise this, King. Thanks for pointing out.
Isn't it essentially a completely different musical composition i.e. a soft, downbeat strummy thing with the music written by someone else (S Cobrin?) rather than Whyte?
Maybe this was the new song that someone tweeted about having to learn...

I've checked the boards here and Spencer's FB page, but haven't been able to find out the story behind Morrissey performing the alternate (is it accurate to call it "original"?) version of It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small on the current tour.

I believe it was January of this year when Uncle Skinny posted the Maladjusted b-side session recording (thanks again for that). It's really of a piece with Lost.

Now Morrissey is performing that version. I assume he listened to it, for perhaps the first time since the late 90s, and thought it was worth including in the concerts. Must be the first case of leak->live happening in his touring history.

Anybody catalogue the differences in lyrics between the leaked track, the Quarry b-side, and this current live version? (Yes, I want someone to do all the heavy lifting while I just sit and read.)

And finally, which version do you all prefer?

I only know the Quarry b-side and the live version from Grieghallen in Bergen. I wasn't there but saw the retweet of UncleSkinny in the post show comments.
And I was impressed by the latest and absolutely prefer this version.
It's almost like a completely new song.
Did not care much for the original version. It was OK. Upbeat and the lyrics were ironic and funny.
But now it almost seems like it has a total new meaning. More dramatic and tragic.
His voice is unbelievably good, strong, passionate and emotional.
Would like it to be on a new album with other new songs.
I hope you don't mind that I cannot supply any more info.
I am just as curious as you about the content and the motivation that seems to be behind the change.
Gerrit

Back
Top Bottom