Morrissey questionnaire: Melody Maker, 5th January 1991

The line about "unlimited self-sabotage"... imagine being so aware of that trait, and equally unable to do anything about it. And it drives so much of what he does / says. (Not sure that "drives" is the right verb but you know what I mean.)

"impels "... "impails "...? ;)

I wonder what the music critics found offensive that time?

Poor Sod, he's got a good heart.
This is the review he was referring to, I believe.

This is the review he was referring to, I believe.

There's no mystery in that review - while he admits Moz has his moments - he also thinks he's boorish, plodding, spiteful, narcissistic, self-pitying, erratic & grudging.

Thing is though - it's those kind of reviews that make sensitive artists harden & retreat behind a veneer of wounded vanity.

There's no constructive criticism - nothing he can take & build on, just put-downs.

I sometimes moonlight as a critic & I treat it like feedback, so there's something they could do about it if they agreed with my point.

The line about "unlimited self-sabotage"... imagine being so aware of that trait, and equally unable to do anything about it. And it drives so much of what he does / says. (Not sure that "drives" is the right verb but you know what I mean.)
I do and I agree, and I even relate somewhat. It’s a nasty web to be stuck in.

Threads like this show that this place can be nice.

There's no mystery in that review - while he admits Moz has his moments - he also thinks he's boorish, plodding, spiteful, narcissistic, self-pitying, erratic & grudging.

Thing is though - it's those kind of reviews that make sensitive artists harden & retreat behind a veneer of wounded vanity.

There's no constructive criticism - nothing he can take & build on, just put-downs.

I sometimes moonlight as a critic & I treat it like feedback, so there's something they could do about it if they agreed with my point.

Dalton, another "NME" trench-footer. Brylcreem..? Moz has never had a lick of Brylcreem near his quiff.

That Troxy show was amazing. The place was like an old Art Deco spiv haunt, with dinner tables and mezzanines. And a Brixton chaser.

I think, as was suggested by FWD a few days ago somewhere on here, it's just block and ignore, block and ignore, block and ignore, block and ignore... Not easy to do, but worth it!

Yes, and I’ve gotten better at ignoring it all, just scrol past with no interest in giving my attention to negative (anti-Moz) posts.

But that they’re still allowed doesn’t help make the site be what it could be.

It is was it is though.

í forgot that Ms Greenstreet, the Q&A Mistress, jumped the sinking "Sunday Correspondent" ship and went on to do her thing at "The Guardian", where, 24 years later, she 'did' George Michael. Slightly different questions by then, but it's quite instructive to observe the vast differences between the two.

Oh, and George had a secret...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/09/george-michael-q-and-a

"George Michael, 51, grew up in London and in the early 1980s formed the band Wham! with Andrew Ridgeley and had hits such as Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go in the early eighties. In 1986, they split up and he went on to become a hugely successful solo artist, in spite of several run-ins with the law and battles with ill health. On 18 August, he releases his new single Feeling Good, and Symphonica, his recent number one album, will have a limited-edition release on vinyl.

When were you happiest?
When I'm in love.

What is your greatest fear?
Losing my ability to create music.
Advertisement

What is your earliest memory?
Being at home with my mother when my sisters had gone to school.

Which living person do you most admire, and why?
Anybody who fights for human rights or to make this world a better place. Nurses, doctors, teachers: these are the people who deserve the credit these days.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
I don't really have any traits that I deplore. I get annoyed with myself sometimes, but that's about it.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
People who gain from other people's misfortune.

Property aside, what's the most expensive thing you've bought?
A piece of art.

What is your most treasured possession?
My gift to create and sing.

Who would play you in the film of your life?
Well, Robbie [Williams] has already played me and Tom Hardy is playing Elton, so how about Paul Newman?

What is your favourite word?
Go-on-then.

What is your favourite book?
That's an impossible question to answer.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Sunday morning – loads of episodes of Corrie to watch.

What do you owe your parents?
I owe my mother who I am, and my father my drive.

What does love feel like?
Like nothing else.

Have you ever said 'I love you' and not meant it?
No.

Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
God, I could be really twisted here. You really don't want to know.

What is the worst job you've done?
Working as a labourer for one of my dad's friends in the school holidays. I got the sack after just one day.

If you could edit your past, what would you change?
I should have sung with David Gilmour at Carnegie Hall because I'm a massive fan of Pink Floyd.

If you could go back in time, where would you go?
To 1981, when it all started to happen. Exciting times – what a ride!

How do you relax?
Friends, restaurants, music, cinema, and walking my dogs.

How often do you have sex?
Wouldn't you like to know?

What is the closest you've come to death?
Pneumonia during my Symphonica tour in Vienna.

What keeps you awake at night?
My dogs demanding my undivided attention.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
To be honest with yourself.

Tell us a joke
Tony Blair.

Tell us a secret
The Smiths are reforming

Back
Top Bottom