Morrissey Record Store Day vinyl confirmed for August 29, 2020

Rather than bump an old thread, just a quick update to say Honey, You Know Where To Find Me will be part of the 3 'drop' dates for this year's RSD.
The bulk of the remaining RSD products have been shared across 3 dates and Morrissey features on August 29 (the first of those dates).

20200611_183808.jpg

There were some great items by other artists this year too - if you value small, independent record shops, please support them as they slowly reopen.
They will be reeling from not having the event as it was intended and with some artists pulling their products to sell online, things are increasingly difficult for small retailers.
Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Arrrgh. I’ve just seen it’s 10”; my record player won’t event play that format.
Does your record player auto drop the needle for 12" or 7" records? I drop my needle manually on whatever groove I choose. I assume mine would play 10" ok?

Does your record player auto drop the needle for 12" or 7" records? I drop my needle manually on whatever groove I choose. I assume mine would play 10" ok?
Yep, it’s a 1985 Technics ‘linear arm’ model, which can drop in 7” and 12” positions only. Imagine my delight when Warner’s rereleased all the Smith’s LPs on 10” vinyl only in 1992 (just as I was getting interested). At the time, the CDs were only available via costly imports.

Yep, it’s a 1985 Technics ‘linear arm’ model, which can drop in 7” and 12” positions only. Imagine my delight when Warner’s rereleased all the Smith’s LPs on 10” vinyl only in 1992 (just as I was getting interested). At the time, the CDs were only available via costly imports.
Biggest regret of mine was getting rid of my Pioneer hifi set up with the SA7800 beast of an amp, with HPM60 speakers and I think a PL400 turntable. Sad day.

amp.JPG

I'm sure this was the cassette deck...View attachment 57040
It’s a thing of beauty. It’s an unfortunate observation, at the moment, but by the early 90s they turned all of these things black; I preferred the silver. Silver made it clear you were actually living the future.

Could you switch between Metal, Chrome and Ferric, without really understanding the point?

It’s a thing of beauty. It’s an unfortunate observation, at the moment, but by the early 90s they turned all of these things black; I preferred the silver. Silver made it clear you were actually living the future.

Could you switch between Metal, Chrome and Ferric, without really understanding the point?
That's so true. Silver is ace. Although... I have a Pioneer stereo system in black from the mid to late 80's (double cassette, double CD, turntable) in black, and I can't imagine the whole thing in silver. Might be just a bit too much. I only use it for records now but I should try out a cassette on it. I have The Cure Prayer Tour 1989 (Dublin concert) double tape that I haven't played in 30 years. Must play it and see if the songs are still audible.

That's so true. Silver is ace. Although... I have a Pioneer stereo system in black from the mid to late 80's (double cassette, double CD, turntable) in black, and I can't imagine the whole thing in silver. Might be just a bit too much. I only use it for records now but I should try out a cassette on it. I have The Cure Prayer Tour 1989 (Dublin concert) double tape that I haven't played in 30 years. Must play it and see if the songs are still audible.
Don’t forget to tighten it with a pencil before sticking it in.

Said the vicar...

It won't be the first press release with blatant errors.
Some retailers and 'Official FB' have a dateless version:

The product itself doesn't have dates and just mentions "sessions".
Fantastic Bird is just a mess of information and is thought to be '92.
2005 only appears as a factor when the Rhino reference CD appeared with Fantastic Bird (demo) featuring on the Your Arsenal disc.
I replied to Ryan's query, but thought better of it as too speculative, but am guessing something like this:
I think (utter conjecture) the 'throwaway' vocal may have never been used on the 1992 proposed B-side version - keeping in mind Stephane gives no reference and Spencer's phone interview (2003) with Goddard only appears to confirm the song was recorded - no full vocals or fixed dates mentioned. So it could have been tinkered with on or after 1995 (making it more Southpaw in Morrissey's mind).
So 'at some point' closer to the Southpaw Grammar reissue (2009) a vocal take may have been added to existing music or a general remaster took place to take it from a demo to finished version. Even then, it only got a brief live outing in 2012 - all very odd.
It clearly is an older track and my theory is all assumption and doesn't factor in Morrissey just being bloody-minded - which is probably closer to the truth :)
So long story short: duff info on the press release + Morrissey being odd about a demo from '92 = probably never know!
Regards,
FWD.

Yeah, sounds logical. But I don't see M coming in to lay down some half ass track for what he was thinking at the time, a through away song. Back when I first heard it very early 2000's it sounded more like a demo/scratch track. I think Alain wrote it in 91 or 92 if I remember correctly.So maybe it was cleaned up, possibly back up singing and maybe some more guitar. I don't think I know Who I love or the extremely early Piccadilly Palare with totally different lyrics. NOT THE EXTENDED ON!!!! Totally different lyrics

Yeah, sounds logical. But I don't see M coming in to lay down some half ass track for what he was thinking at the time, a through away song. Back when I first heard it very early 2000's it sounded more like a demo/scratch track. I think Alain wrote it in 91 or 92 if I remember correctly.So maybe it was cleaned up, possibly back up singing and maybe some more guitar. I don't think I know Who I love or the extremely early Piccadilly Palare with totally different lyrics. NOT THE EXTENDED ON!!!! Totally different lyrics
I´ve now heard numerous times about this early Piccadilly version with different lyrics but nobody has ever given more details about this. Can anybody share some more information about the lyrics? What about the music, is it similar to the released version?

You could select the any of the 3 different modes but did it make much difference? Not so sure, plus the different cassettes varied in cost & availability. I never bothered with the function as I probably used the turntable & vinyl records mostly.

But hey, just to complete the set, I found a pic of the Tuner too, TX608. All looks primitive & dated of course these days (I would say classic 'proper hifi') but it was a powerful set up. Despite the temptation, the amp never saw max volume it was too powerful, & may well have blown the speakers, but I do remember blasting out UB40 - Signing On album on more than one occasion. Bass was amazing thru the HPM60s obviously.

You are right in that they decided to go 'black' on hifi kit, which was never quite the same look, feeling, or experience.

tnr.JPG

These days I have Sonos; it's not hifi, and it's not intended to ever be that, but while it's not really comparable, it's decent enough. I like its portability, & the fact you can create zones, whereas with hifi it's sat in one permanent location.

Last edited by a moderator:
These days I have Sonos; it's not hifi, and it's not intended to ever be that, but while it's not really comparable, it's decent enough. I like its portability, whereas with hifi it's sat in one permanent location.
I’ve just had a look at Sonos; I had no idea what it was. It looks useful.

Since having kids, most of my music listening occurs via my iPod and phone—through head phones when running. With this device I could squirrel away in whatever room happened to be kid free. And listen to Israel for the zillionth time.

Sonos works on wifi only...not Bluetooth, so you do need a decent wifi connection.

Although if you had a Play 5 (the largest one they do), you can connect a turntable via line-in.
You can play your collection stored on your phone, via the Sonos app, &/or from your NAS (as I do), again using the app. You wouldn't be able to use your iPod. I have a redundant iPod classic (160gb) which is sadly gathering dust.

You can have multiple Sonos units scattered around the house, and play your music through all of them to fill the house with the same music as you walk through, or create a zone (say, Kitchen) & just play your chosen music in there. Its quite good...but pricey if you have a few units. For their size, they're quite powerful.

Sonos works on wifi only...not Bluetooth, so you do need a decent wifi connection.
Although if you had a Play 5 (the largest one they do), you can connect a turntable via line-in.
You can play your collection on your phone, via the Sonos app, &/or from your NAS (as I do), again using the app. You can have multiple Sonos units scattered around the house, and play your music through all of them to fill the house with the same music as you walk through, or create a zone (say, Kitchen) & just play your chosen music in there. Its quite good...but pricey if you have a few units. For their size, they're quite powerful.
Not Bluetooth? Nothing is ever straightforward!

Any sarnies left? That other thread is sapping me now.
Lol, no I'm fresh out of sandwiches, & feeding them clearly just encourages them.
Should be a sign in there saying 'please do not feed the animals'...

Found this in the kitchen though...help yourself:

tst.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My fave shop has stopped stocking Morrissey solo work after being stuck with too many unsold copies of Cali Son. They didn't even order Dog on a chain unless requested, but nobody did.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom