Morrissey referenced in The Guardian's Marilyn Manson interview

Interesting interview. I think like Manson, Morrissey too feels trapped by his public persona. How many years did he have to pretend to be celibate after mentioning it in the press? Or even now, perhaps he wants to be 'out' but fears he'd lose his drooling, lustful female fanbase. Would the frink thread cease to exist if he admitted he was gay? (Btw, notice how the most ardent sycofemmes are all plump, childless, and neurotic? With the exception of Julia being thin, of course. I have.)

Amendment: Male Morrissey fans seem so much more well adjusted on the whole. Anyone else agree?

Last edited:
Manson mentions morrissey a couple of times in long hard road out of hell

Morrissey is cited on Marilyn Manson interview on Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/18/marilyn-manson-i-created-a-fake-world

"f Morrissey had been American and had taken up satanism and lipstick and best friendship with Hunter S Thompson and Johnny Depp, he might occupy a cultural niche not that far off Manson’s."

I enjoyed that, thanks.

Brian's father faced death in Vietnam. Morrissey faces death on stage, so does Marilyn Manson. Karla de Los Angeles faces death in Bull Ring. Facing death in some heroic fashion attracts us, evidently. I wonder why.

I enjoyed that, thanks.

Brian's father faced death in Vietnam. Morrissey faces death on stage, so does Marilyn Manson. Karla de Los Angeles faces death in Bull Ring. Facing death in some heroic fashion attracts us, evidently. I wonder why.

How is dying on stage with a microphone in hand heroic? We all die. When most of us hit middle age we start thinking about our mortality. It is a part of the human condition. Dying heroically would entail risking losing face, being vulnerable, remaining authentic, staying true to beliefs, sacrificing self for other. I don't see how dying on stage doing the same thing one has done for thirty years is a heroic act. And certainly settling down and buying a house like Manson did does not make one a hero. The concept 'hero' has been so overused as to lose all meaning. :(

Interesting interview. I think like Manson, Morrissey too feels trapped by his public persona. How many years did he have to pretend to be celibate after mentioning it in the press? Or even now, perhaps he wants to be 'out' but fears he'd lose his drooling, lustful female fanbase. Would the frink thread cease to exist if he admitted he was gay? (Btw, notice how the most ardent sycofemmes are all plump, childless, and neurotic? With the exception of Julia being thin, of course. I have.)

Amendment: Male Morrissey fans seem so much more well adjusted on the whole. Anyone else agree?

AHH disagree... i think that Morrissey has thin fans that feel the same way .. agree disagree??

Manson was fantastic on sons of anarchy. He's a great actor.

AHH disagree... i think that Morrissey has thin fans that feel the same way .. agree disagree??

I know I was generalizing. But look at the women on the list and those who are most vocal online. Most are plump vegetarians. Not all, of course. What do you think the correlation is between being a female who is childless and being a superfan? Are they sublimating the love they would project onto a child onto Morrissey instead? Of course many female fans do have children--and romantic partners. But a disproportionate number are single and childless.

How is dying on stage with a microphone in hand heroic? We all die. When most of us hit middle age we start thinking about our mortality. It is a part of the human condition. Dying heroically would entail risking losing face, being vulnerable, remaining authentic, staying true to beliefs, sacrificing self for other. I don't see how dying on stage doing the same thing one has done for thirty years is a heroic act. And certainly settling down and buying a house like Manson did does not make one a hero. The concept 'hero' has been so overused as to lose all meaning. :(

Sure, we all die, that's the point. The point that Brian/Manson was making was that what he and Morrissey does (and Johnny Depp for that matter) is a theatrical metaphor for the heroic facing of death. The term hero seems to be overused because many do not understand the significance of it in terms of everyday life.

Hey, but it's more fun dissecting and criticizing Morrissey's admirers. Isn't it.

Sure, we all die, that's the point. The point that Brian/Manson was making was that what he and Morrissey does (and Johnny Depp for that matter) is a theatrical metaphor for the heroic facing of death. The term hero seems to be overused because many do not understand the significance of it in terms of everyday life.

Hey, but it's more fun dissecting and criticizing Morrissey's admirers. Isn't it.

It is great fun analyzing everyone and everything.

"The term hero seems to be overused because many do not understand the significance of it in terms of everyday life." Do clear it up for us then.

That is a really odd comparison. I vaguely get what the author is getting at, though I think it is probably mostly a superficial one.

Interesting interview, Manson seems kind of sad and lonely.

I don't enjoy sex, but I am good at it.

That is like a chef saying I hate eating but I am great at cooking. How can you be good at something if you have no passion for it and aren't fully engaged? Your heart isn't in it. Unless you are a great actor, I bet your partners do not see you as a skilled, responsive, and generous lover. It isn't about mechanics. It is about being present. And if you aren't enjoying it, then you are not present--lost in the moment.

That is like a chef saying I hate eating but I am great at cooking. How can you be good at something if you have no passion for it and aren't fully engaged? Your heart isn't in it. Unless you are a great actor, I bet your partners do not see you as a skilled, responsive, and generous lover. It isn't about mechanics. It is about being present. And if you aren't enjoying it, then you are not present--lost in the moment.

Fair point, but I'm sure you know or know of people who are naturally gifted at things they have no interest in; people who turn down opportunities (especially career-related) that would be perfect for them.

When it comes to sex, it may not all be about mechanics, but a lot of it is. Being in the moment, being mindfully present, is just part of the technique, as is knowing and reading your partner and intuiting what will give them pleasure from moment to moment.
It's just such a damn chore sometimes, but acting like it isn't is part of it, too.

And loaded. Remember folks, money don't buy you happiness.

P.

My wife's uncle is loaded and upon getting rich he bought a mansion and just loads of stuff, I guess he bought his family whatever they thought they'd always wanted. Now all the stuff they bought is just crammed into rooms that nobody goes in. They seem very happy just living their lives as if it never existed. It's nice to be comfortable but I think having too much just makes life complicated.

Good interview, I like Manson but not his music. He's always come across as very honest.

Good interview, I like Manson but not his music. He's always come across as very honest.

Yes he does. I really like the threads here on solo, "What song or what album are you listening to". I've found some very interesting music there. Some Morrissey fan posted a Manson song and I really liked it. I always thought he was a poser like some others but he's actually a damn good artist. I've since purchased three albums and have his new one Pale emperor, on order. I like many different types of music and he's definitely different.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom