Morrissey statement on HMV "Limited To One Copy Per Customer" stickers - Morrissey Official FB

Ok, we've gone up a notch:

He's 'officially' annoyed now despite any notice or attempt to market the item in a transparent, reasonable way.
Regards,
FWD.

"In our consumer culture, the Smiths new release of The Queen is Dead single was oddly racked at HMV with a sticker on the front that states:

Limited To One Copy Per Customer.

not unlike a Smoking Will Seriously Damage Your Health warning.

This sticker was not requested by the Smiths, and cannot be found on any other HMV stock, and therefore exists for The Queen is Dead only.

But why is it there?

An attempt to freeze sales is, of course, an overwhelming insult to the Smiths ... as if artistic freedom must struggle in our current culture of banality ... as if only counterfeit emotions may apply.
The Queen is Dead is also the only song currently in the UK top ten that has not been played on radio, and yet still sits at #4 on today's sales chart. Over thirty years since their death, and the Smiths are still thought too radical for the slow reader! It is evident, to me at least, that music audiences must only feel and think the very same thing at all times.

Freud: "There is no such thing as an accident."

If you are in possession of seven variable wigs, a box containing false noses, multiple-sized plastic clip-on ears, a nurse outfit, a set of stilts, a Superman cape, and a variety of oddly shaped spectacles, then we urge you to use them now and buy as many copies of The Queen is Dead at HMV as you desire.

MORRISSEY
17 June 2017."

Perhaps he could explain why it wasn't racked a year ago!?
IMHO - given the record store day response to new material , HMV are channelling the same ethos. Simple as that - no conspiracy.

40250_stickers.jpg

UPDATE June 22:
Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder who could have the balls to do so? I get the feeling that it's like Elvis. He's the money maker, and without him, his inner circle would lose their paychecks, so even if they don't agree with his actions, they don't speak up. "Here, everybody's friendly, but nobody's friends."

Also, yes, I know the flaw in my thinking re: saying "stop being paranoid." It's about as helpful as telling a chronically depressed person to lighten up. More a turn of phrase than anything.

- Burn it!
- You are paranoid.

- Burn it!
- You are paranoid.

I've never been paranoid, by nature.
Ok. How about this instead?

"Hey, Morrissey. You look kind of like a knob when you do this stuff. Especially on public forums through text, where intention, body language and nuance don't factor in. Apart from the fact that you're starting to seem more like a grumpy Grandpa with every passing week, I still love ya. Keep on being you, you weirdo."

The prophecy was soon fulfilled, as our hero found himself - in a racist pastiche adorned room - making Christmas cards.

Lyric leak from his new track: "Nobody likes me. Everybody hates me. I'm going to the garden to eat worms."

Bugger-off Morrissey. The puke is on your own pullover.

I've never been paranoid, by nature.

If you have never been paranoid that only means you never had to take care of your own ass when your existence bothers powerful people. No more, nor less.

Nature has nothing to do.

Megalolz. I'm sure in 31 years time people will be Raving about the reissue of The Queen is Dead. With shit artwork

If you have never been paranoid that only means you never had to take care of your own ass when your existence bothers powerful people. No more, nor less.

Yes! The key players of the NWO and Illuminati are extremely bothered by the existence of this whingy, washed-up wanker. Their reaction to this disturbance has manifest itself through laughter, mockery and financial sanctions via stickers at the retail level.

Ever stop to think that you might be reading a bit too much into things?

The sticker is probably marketing to make people buy one who otherwise might not know if they really need a record for it's collectible value. It might even create some new collectors. Next time he is feeling black he should listen to "Don't Believe The Hype"

Ehm ... Maybe the sellers try to prevent the records from disappearing directly to Ebay. So in this way the real fans can all buy a copy - if they should want one. It's not all conspiracies out there, Moz.

I think he was just trying to be funny, it was a pretty tame rant for Morrissey. Notice how he didn't blame the Queen? Although, not a good idea to start a row with a music store right before a new album release. :crazy:

He's always been paranoid. 'Autobiography' is shot through with a streak of paranoia, as he's clearly terrified everyone is plotting against him - Johnny Marr, the rest of the band, Geoff Travis, Joe Moss, John Porter, etc. It's a fundamental part of his psychological make-up, but I'm not sure he is even aware of it. In Morrissey's world, everything is part of a conspiracy against him.

It sucks, but at this stage, I really don't think someone saying "chill out and stop being so paranoid, mate" is going to have any effect - he's too set in his 'everybody's out to get me' way of thinking.

The sticker is probably marketing to make people buy one who otherwise might not know if they really need a record for it's collectible value. It might even create some new collectors. Next time he is feeling black he should listen to "Don't Believe The Hype"

In '88, there might have been a common thread between P.E. and Moz. They tackled some of the same issues, albeit from different perspectives. Those days have long since passed. Stevie-MO lucked out when Johnny knocked in his door. That's all it is now though. He's squandered every bit of his influence and his abilities on his narcissistic pursuit of righteousness. If he were a true student of literature - as he often claims to be - he'd know better than to alienate those who love him. He has embraced his disease.

The Smiths will live forever. Morrissey is a dead man walking.

Did everyone see Mike Joyce talking on twitter about the cash he'll make from this? Someone asked if he thought the B sides were instrumentals to avoid paying Joyce anything. Joyce said that he'll get a cut of the sales but not publishing (as you'd expect presumably).

Oh HMV, so moch to answer for.

Presumably HMV have full right to restrict sales of anything to anyone, given that they can refuse to sell anything without reason. That said, someone in Morrissey's camp could have required that part of the distribution deal was that there was no limit. Especially as the gold vinyls had this sticker a couple of years back.

Also, I'd be surprised if any HMV staff actually enforced the sticker, there's loads left in HMV oxford street. Surprised that they put copied on their main vinyl display at the entrance.

Megalolz. I'm sure in 31 years time people will be Raving about the reissue of The Queen is Dead. With shit artwork

The record may one day be worth more because of the sticker on it, in a future when true artists are no longer censored, the sticker will remind people of darker times.

;)

the Smiths have never sold records in big numbers. But, depending on the number of pressings, it would make sense to limit them to one (or two) per person, due to the amount of vermin who buy just to put them on eBay.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom