Morrissey statement on HMV "Limited To One Copy Per Customer" stickers - Morrissey Official FB

Ok, we've gone up a notch:

He's 'officially' annoyed now despite any notice or attempt to market the item in a transparent, reasonable way.
Regards,
FWD.

"In our consumer culture, the Smiths new release of The Queen is Dead single was oddly racked at HMV with a sticker on the front that states:

Limited To One Copy Per Customer.

not unlike a Smoking Will Seriously Damage Your Health warning.

This sticker was not requested by the Smiths, and cannot be found on any other HMV stock, and therefore exists for The Queen is Dead only.

But why is it there?

An attempt to freeze sales is, of course, an overwhelming insult to the Smiths ... as if artistic freedom must struggle in our current culture of banality ... as if only counterfeit emotions may apply.
The Queen is Dead is also the only song currently in the UK top ten that has not been played on radio, and yet still sits at #4 on today's sales chart. Over thirty years since their death, and the Smiths are still thought too radical for the slow reader! It is evident, to me at least, that music audiences must only feel and think the very same thing at all times.

Freud: "There is no such thing as an accident."

If you are in possession of seven variable wigs, a box containing false noses, multiple-sized plastic clip-on ears, a nurse outfit, a set of stilts, a Superman cape, and a variety of oddly shaped spectacles, then we urge you to use them now and buy as many copies of The Queen is Dead at HMV as you desire.

MORRISSEY
17 June 2017."

Perhaps he could explain why it wasn't racked a year ago!?
IMHO - given the record store day response to new material , HMV are channelling the same ethos. Simple as that - no conspiracy.

40250_stickers.jpg

UPDATE June 22:
Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:

He's 'officially' annoyed now despite any notice or attempt to market the item in a transparent, reasonable way.
Regards,
FWD.
"In our consumer culture, the Smiths new release of The Queen is Dead single was oddly racked at HMV with a sticker on the front that states:

This sticker was not requested by the Smiths, and cannot be found on any other HMV stock, and therefore exists for The Queen is Dead only.

But why is it there?

An attempt to freeze sales is, of course, an overwhelming insult to the Smiths ... as if artistic freedom must struggle in our current culture of banality ... as if only counterfeit emotions may apply.
The Queen is Dead is also the only song currently in the UK top ten that has not been played on radio, and yet still sits at #4 on today's sales chart. Over thirty years since their death, and the Smiths are still thought too radical for the slow reader! It is evident, to me at least, that music audiences must only feel and think the very same thing at all times.

If you are in possession of seven variable wigs, a box containing false noses, multiple-sized plastic clip-on ears, a nurse outfit, a set of stilts, a Superman cape, and a variety of oddly shaped spectacles, then we urge you to use them now and buy as many copies of The Queen is Dead at HMV as you desire.

MORRISSEY
17 June 2017."

Bollix.

I've followed, stalked and harassed Moz since before I had hair around my genitalia, but some of this recent behaviour is cringe to the power of ten.
Here's a random artist I've never heard of being 'abused' in the same way:
391486758731.jpg

HMV sticker department are unavailable for comment...
Sigh.
FWD.

As someone who has worked at hmv (& know loads of people who still do), this week is hmv's 'Vinyl week' where they do lots of reductions & exclusive vinyls in the run up to Fathers Day. I think (possibly mistakenly) this single has been merchandised in this promotion. Pretty much all vinyl in this promotion is labelled with 'One per customer' sticker to avoid bulk buying & then inevitably ending up on eBay (other titles include Suede's debut album, gold disc, Iggy Pops: The idiot etc). I know in 2015 hmv had 3 of Morrisseys Gold disc vinyls available & the same thing applied...all selling out.

I certainly don't think its a conspiracy to stop the sales of this item & looking at the twitter feeds of the various stores with stock of it, they seem to be actively promoting it.

Just thought id put what facts I know about this out there. SML

He's never happy. How Damon puts up with him is beyond me.

I'm tempted to say: see previous post by Uncleskinny but it would be unfair cause how the f*** would I know?
Could be love!

Moz mentioning Freud sent a shiffering image to my brain where he was on his analyst couch.
I reckon he would be the only patient he had that misled him completely and he wouldn't even know. :D

News flash people 20,000 miles away playing kick the can. Morrissey is not writing these posts. I would go with the intern Ryan at the Rancho Cucamonga office is writing these. Don't think you have a path to Morrissey's soul because there are posts on his un-official to now official FB because TTY is gone.

Regards,
FWD.

But why is it there?

MORRISSEY
17 June 2017."

Perhaps he could explain why it wasn't racked a year ago!?
IMHO - given the record store day response to new material , HMV are channelling the same ethos. Simple as that - no conspiracy.

40250_stickers.jpg

Related item:

I've followed, stalked and harassed Moz since before I had hair around my genitalia, but some of this recent behaviour is cringe to the power of ten.
Here's a random artist I've never heard of being 'abused' in the same way:
View attachment 41749
HMV sticker department are unavailable for comment...
Sigh.
FWD.

What would THIS album "do" on eBay?
Just wondering.
And a missing sticker like that drops it in value immediately!

Morrissey is spot on! Why the hell is this a "buy one only" when it just came out and is available to purchase freely. This was not marketed as a limited release for vinyl day!! Something smells strange here and this will cripple the sales of the single and keep it from being number one. Morrissey has every right to be mad. Their are no accidents. Drop the mic.....

Why would anyone want more than one copy? :squiffy:

Morrissey is spot on! Why the hell is this a "buy one only" when it just came out and is available to purchase freely. This was not marketed as a limited release for vinyl day!! Something smells strange here and this will cripple the sales of the single and keep it from being number one. Morrissey has every right to be mad. Their are no accidents. Drop the mic.....

But that line" There are no accidents" was said accidentally.
Maybe it is the title of the song, hmm?
Now if he would do THAT, change it into " The Queen could be dead", the collectors would go apeshit. :eek:

"This sticker was not requested by the Smiths..." Coming direct from Morrissey, that's one in the eye to the poster on the previous thread complaining about statements coming from the Smiths via the official Facebook page, as there was 'no such entity'.

Anyway, the stickers themselves are clearly part of a global conspiracy headed by the Queen and Sadiq Khan, intended to keep the Smiths off the top of the hit parade. Any photos you may see of similar stickers on other HMV vinyl have been knocked up in photoshop, and are 'fake news'.

He would approve though a "Listening Might Seriously Damaging Your Health" sticker.

News flash people 20,000 miles away playing kick the can. Morrissey is not writing these posts. I would go with the intern Ryan at the Rancho Cucamonga office is writing these. Don't think you have a path to Morrissey's soul because there are posts on his un-official to now official FB because TTY is gone.

Who the f*** is Ryan?
I thought Kylie or Jeremy were in the know and rising stars at camp Moz?
How many interns are there?
Geez :rolleyes:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom