Morrissey statement on TTY 06/01/10

I'm glad someone asked what has this thread got to do with a reunion with Marr, because I was baffled by it too -
So...my understanding of the quote above is....
the management kept trying to get Morrissey to team up with Marr as it would be good for him (in more ways than one).
Morrissey got fed up of them badgering him about it. So he parts company with them.
And this sparks off rumours that he is going to join up with Marr:crazy:
Am I missing something?:confused:

Jukebox Jury

Just the part in bold is incorrect, as far as my attempt at an explanation.
I'm not saying that I know that THIS is why he parted company with the management, I'm just saying it's by no means out of the realm of relevant possibility.

Frankly, as much as I'd love to see Moz recording new material with Marr (which I believe would be the ONLY circumstances in which they would ever appear together), I don't think he ever would do it. It seems that Johnny might possibly be interested by the way he comments on it in interviews, but I just can't see Moz conceding, even after he's retired..:blushing:

Last edited:
I don't understand this logic at all. How would Moz working with Street/Reilly not be a nostalgia trip in your sense of things? Just because his work with Street/Reilly was nowhere near as popular as the Smiths?

Absolutely. It doesn't matter if it is a nostalgia trip for him - just so long as Morrissey doesn't come to be perceived as an aged and decrepid rocker with nothing interesting to say. Although you could argue this has already happened, certainly around the time of Tormentors he still seemed very OF NOW. If The Smiths reformed in all but name - i.e, Morrissey and Marr, he would very quickly become irrelevant.
When he talked about things being totally campaign-driven recently, Morrissey was right - and of course The Smiths, Godfathers of Indie, would be far too juicy for the media not to jump on. That kind of hype would be horrible.

This is just a personal opinion. Alain's contribution to Moz's career is largely dismissed because of Moz's legacy with the Smiths. The Smiths had more of an impact in their time because their time was so short that there wasn't time to produce something regarded by the media as shit, whereas critics ignored 'Subpar Grandma' and 'Maladjusted' in the mid-90s. There was never anything like that in the Smiths' catalog. Being in their time, they were definitely more influential.

I didn't say that The Smiths were not more influential - of course they were - but as you say, Alain's contribution, and that of others is very often overlooked when the name Morrissey is mentioned. The point being Morrissey has worked with talented people other than Marr and I'm not sure why the media in particular clamour for a Smiths reunion when Morrissey is still making good music....in my opinion.....

Absolutely. It doesn't matter if it is a nostalgia trip for him - just so long as Morrissey doesn't come to be perceived as an aged and decrepid rocker with nothing interesting to say. Although you could argue this has already happened, certainly around the time of Tormentors he still seemed very OF NOW. If The Smiths reformed in all but name - i.e, Morrissey and Marr, he would very quickly become irrelevant.
When he talked about things being totally campaign-driven recently, Morrissey was right - and of course The Smiths, Godfathers of Indie, would be far too juicy for the media not to jump on. That kind of hype would be horrible.

I didn't say that The Smiths were not more influential - of course they were - but as you say, Alain's contribution, and that of others is very often overlooked when the name Morrissey is mentioned. The point being Morrissey has worked with talented people other than Marr and I'm not sure why the media in particular clamour for a Smiths reunion when Morrissey is still making good music....in my opinion.....

I think the part in bold is where our opinions differ. Am I incorrect in thinking from what you've said that you believe that even if Morrissey and Marr alone would appear together for the SOLE purpose of recording new music, that would still have a detrimental effect on the reputation of the Smiths?
That's where we differ in outlook :)
I've formed my opinion based on listening to collaborators like Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto reuniting after 20 some years to record new material. Have you heard it, bychance?

Now, upon listening to this, I feel that it in no way tarnishes the reputation of the Buzzcocks -- because it's not the Buzzcocks. It's something new. A sound completely different than the Buzzcocks or even Magazine. Something like THIS is what I'd be interested in Morrissey and Marr doing. Because I wouldn't consider it the Smiths. I would consider it something new. :guitar:

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't just "lose" the talent that you have when you're a caliber guitarist as Johnny Marr, regardless if you hear it or not in his current playing. He could announce tomorrow that he would be playing in some 14 year old kid's garage band and that STILL wouldn't make him any less of a master at the instrument. His playing has just never been featured in anything as seminal as the Smiths since. I hardly think that's a reason to downplay his effect on musicians worldwide. If Jimmy Hendrix were still alive and playing with the Cribs, would you count him as a shit guitarist just because it doesn't sound like what he did before? (I'm not a Jimmy Hendrix fan, but you get the picture :guitar:)

He may still be a good guitarist but the discussion is about him creating new material with Morrissey and from what I have heard from him lately, it would be poor.

It is like an insult to morrissey and all his work, and I see that it repeats itself periodically, especially when he was seven years in exile, as soloist singer is a lot important in his career than five years in a band .

maybe The Smiths had become U2 , thanks to GOD that be disbanded ¡¡¡¡¡¡ always the Smiths = M&M

umm, I have some prior experience working in "Artist Management" :straightface:
sure, its been almost 15 years or so :o but how hard can it be? :crazy:
so, where do I send my resume to? :blushing:
aww cmon, whose with me here, I am sure we could a pretty good team together right here from Solo posters :thumb:

I think the part in bold is where our opinions differ. Am I incorrect in thinking from what you've said that you believe that even if Morrissey and Marr alone would appear together for the SOLE purpose of recording new music, that would still have a detrimental effect on the reputation of the Smiths?
That's where we differ in outlook :)

Well, only detrimental to the reputation of The Smiths if it's bad - but I definitely think it would damage both their reputations now.

I've formed my opinion based on listening to collaborators like Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto reuniting after 20 some years to record new material. Have you heard it, bychance?
Now, upon listening to this, I feel that it in no way tarnishes the reputation of the Buzzcocks -- because it's not the Buzzcocks. It's something new. A sound completely different than the Buzzcocks or even Magazine. Something like THIS is what I'd be interested in Morrissey and Marr doing. Because I wouldn't consider it the Smiths. I would consider it something new. :guitar:

That's a good example and I agree with you. It's really a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. If they created music that follows on from what The Smiths did, then they will be lambasted as it can't be replicated. And if they do something totally different, it seems like a cynical publicity stunt/money-making operation - why not just collaborate with new people? Yes, Marr is a very talented guitarist, but on the basis of what he's done in the past few years, I'd say there are probably other people who are both talented and could conceivably work with Morrissey.
What I'm going on really is that when you take into account the way the media will react to such a reunion, it probably isn't worth the bother - unless they want to cash in.

Hmmm...I don't know...:( No record deal and no management means too much silence and possibly quite a long break. :blushing: :tears:

Obviously he felt the need to move on...I wish he would have told us why so everyone would stop with the Morrissey/Marr reunion speculation, but I trust he will pull it together. We just have to wait along with him.

All apologies for popping the Morrissey&Marr bubble bath, but when I read Morrissey's statement I just didn't get any hint of anything relating to John Maher of Wythenshawe, even reading very closely the miniscule fine print between the lines.
What I did get is a familiar cold shiver - evil legal eagles. I foresee court trouble ahead. He 'instructed his lawyers to terminate the agreement'. Will Front Line challenge this? More court shit.
And why would Moz wish it to be stressed on a public internet fan-run site that he has no association with the appointed accountants, London & Co.
I know nothing, obviously. But my reading between the lines of lawyers, accountants, terminations and associations comes up with Trouble Ahead Kids! Not...'Marrissey'.
...happy to be proven utterly wrong though

All apologies for popping the Morrissey&Marr bubble bath, but when I read Morrissey's statement I just didn't get any hint of anything relating to John Maher of Wythenshawe, even reading very closely the miniscule fine print between the lines.
What I did get is a familiar cold shiver - evil legal eagles. I foresee court trouble ahead. He 'instructed his lawyers to terminate the agreement'. Will Front Line challenge this? More court shit.
And why would Moz wish it to be stressed on a public internet fan-run site that he has no association with the appointed accountants, London & Co.
I know nothing, obviously. But my reading between the lines of lawyers, accountants, terminations and associations comes up with Trouble Ahead Kids! Not...'Marrissey'.
...happy to be proven utterly wrong though

I thought that was a little odd, too.

I've always thought an M&M reunion would be a good thing if done right. I still think there would be some of the old magic left if they worked on some new songs.

In a live setting it would have to be billed as "Morrissey & Marr," though the press would go into "Smiths" overdrive. Marr would bring authenticity and beauty back to the Smiths classics and it'd be interesting to hear him play some of Moz-solo's best songs. Bozman of course still captain of the ship -- not sure about the rest of the lineup.

Every time I hear Jessi hacking his way through Marr riffs it makes me taste a little puke in the back of my throat.

I love Jesse, but I love this quote too. Makes me cringe to see someone try to duplicate something that simply can't be copied..:guitar:of course I attempt to do it every night but that doesn't count.

As the crowd chants "Reunion! Reunion!"...

JM_raspberry.jpg

Now you're on to something...

happy to be proven utterly wrong though
me, too

Why the hell not? Moz with better guitars? If they are billed as M&M then why would it tarnish The Smiths legacy? New material..... And I also don't see how it would tarnish Moz-Solo work? It's not like Mozer isn't playing Smiths songs in his shows anyways.
All of this sounds pretty good.

For Christ sake, even Soundgarden is getting back together in 2010.
but this might be used as a reason it shouldn't happen. :thumb:

No one ever said Morrissey was saying anything about it. I was just saying it was a possibility he may have finally gotten fed up with their repeated pushing of the idea of a reunion. It's been said before that Irving Azoff had been pushing for it. My point was that now would be a lucrative time as ever for a management team to suggest it to him -- he has no pending plans and just came out of a discouraging tour. It's all very feasible speculation.

My first thought, indeed a Morrissey-Marr reunion never occurred to me, when I first saw the statement was, "At last! Thank Goddess, Morrissey has fired Azoff! Yay! :guitar:"

I used to wish for a Smiffs reunion, but got over it by the noughties. Not like I have to worry about it ever happening, but now I would NOT want the Smiths to reunite.

First off, going to court is generally a bad idea and often the last resort or a threat to use against the little guy who can't afford to fight a costly legal battle. Most of the work lawyers do is OUTSIDE of the courtroom, and they work hard to avoid trials.

I have no idea what kind of contract Azoff had with Morrissey, but Morrissey's obviously terminated many contracts over the years, and he seems to have emerged ok each time. The thing is that Azoff is a scary, powerful man in the entertainment biz. He didn't get that nickname "the poison dwarf" for nuthin'. I worry that Azoff could retaliate evilly. Then again, as Moz doesn't have success in the conventional way (not like Azoff's other "clients" such as Christina Aguilera or the Eagles), perhaps he is not vulnerable in the conventional ways either. And considering how disappointing Mozzer's tours under Azoff's management have been, how much worse could his career get if Azoff were NOT involved? But then I've always thought Azoff was a bad 'un from the start and was mightily displeased to hear the news when he became Mozzer's manager.

Anyroad, it's not the first time Moz has used a fan-run website to go after accountants who worked for him.

Last edited:
No one ever said Morrissey was saying anything about it. I was just saying it was a possibility he may have finally gotten fed up with their repeated pushing of the idea of a reunion. It's been said before that Irving Azoff had been pushing for it. My point was that now would be a lucrative time as ever for a management team to suggest it to him -- he has no pending plans and just came out of a discouraging tour. It's all very feasible speculation.
Sorry, I hadn't read about Azoff wanting a Smiths re-union. When did he talk about this? If it's true, then fair enough, I can sorta see how the speculation arose.

You mean of Ardwick:thumb:

Jukebox Jury
Is that, like, Salford? ;)

Back
Top Bottom