Morrissey subway posters

dj.levi

We've been going through our storage lock up unit with some of our old record shop stock and we found some very large subway posters that measure 60 x 40" each. They are 'Interesting Drug' and 'The Last Of The Famous International Playboys'. They've been rolled up and in a tube since we got them so are almost like new other than minor edge wear, more importantly no folds. I think they interesting drug one is hard to find without finger marks and stains due to the matt gold paint finish. These would look stunning framed. Anyone interested, we want £300 each or £500 for the pair. Let me know if you want more pics or info, our email is [email protected]

Thanks

IMG_9655.JPG
IMG_9715.JPG

IMG_9653.JPG
IMG_9714.JPG

That 'Playboys' one is probably my absolute favourite of all the promos for the funny little singles run. Just a classic, exquisite design and tint.
Aided and abetted by the mystery of who took that photograph?
And why was Morrissey sitting upside down & topless on his settee?

Both look in beautiful nick too, but í think í have at least 2 issues of the 'Playboys', someplace, 1 in at least excellent condition. So í couldn't in all conscience justify £300.

That 'Playboys' one is probably my absolute favourite of all the promos for the funny little singles run. Just a classic, exquisite design and tint.
Aided and abetted by the mystery of who took that photograph?
And why was Morrissey sitting upside down & topless on his settee?

Both look in beautiful nick too, but í think í have at least 2 issues of the 'Playboys', someplace, 1 in at least excellent condition. So í couldn't in all conscience justify £300.

I've never, ever seen these and never seen the sofa picture. It is intriguing. Do you know anything about it? Or maybe FWD can help out here??

I've never, ever seen these and never seen the sofa picture. It is intriguing. Do you know anything about it? Or maybe FWD can help out here??

'intriguing'. Yes, that is a word for it...

All that í know is the "Playboys" image was used in music press ads and on fly posters in February 1989.
í would assume that the sleeve image of a Box Brownie snap of a tree-trapped seven year old Steven was just the wrong side of visibility/interest for promos.
Never saw it deployed anywhere else. Other than that...í knows nothing.

If FWD can help out, reader, í would marry him...

4326942871_03bda0370f_o.jpg

This one went unsold with a 49.99 start, albeit folded but still. I’ve seen them sold many times, for similar prices. Hence why I said 500 for the pair was steep

C041FE99-6841-4233-8703-E5132307C93C.jpeg

I do know the sketch was attributed to Morrissey by Goddard Bret.
This is utterly factually incorrect. It is drawn by a gentleman named Chas Kendrick. Moz poached it for the record etching / t-shirt and promotional images. This information was known since the time of release, so Bret needs to revise his info.:

20180415_175348.jpg

He's been pictured with the book I believe.
Regards,
FWD.

The other image is just referenced as a UK promo advert in 2 sizes on PJLM.
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/playboys-c.htm
(search for poster to save digging through it all).
No idea as to the photographer. Will have a dig around. I lament the passing of some of those Internet fan sites from years ago at times like these.

.... Actually, given the shadows across him it reminds me of Linder's work (although the following is 2 years after the poster):

images (2).jpeg

Significant photo/sessions in '89:
- Back stage TOTP with Rick Astley - no photographer credited (image used in response to Bowie not agreeing to use Linder's picture of the both of them from '92 on the reissue).
- Cummins: Morrissey, Rochdale Canal, Manchester, September 5, 1989
- NME/Sherlock Holmes House with framed NY Dolls & T. Stamp pictures (period decoration in house). No photographer credited.
Or any from the (88?) '89 section here as potential sources:
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/magazines-moz.htm
Unfortunately, the image links are long gone.
Having sifted through loads of info...
I'm going to hazard a guess that it's taken by Eamonn J. McCabe circa '88.
The similarities to the Ouija Board UK promo poster by him are very strong.

obob-ukposter.jpg

Will keep digging.
More McCabe of the time:
Plus he was used throughout a lot of Viva Hate and promo adverts (famously the posed shirtless image in NME much akin to the second image):

tumblr_mubmdycqmj1s8jt63o1_1280.jpg

images (4).jpeg

Also, apologies to dj for jumping all over the for sale post.
FWD.

Last edited:
To these eyes, it looks like a 'candid', a personal photograph, while larking about, chez Beech Mount, as opposed to a professional photo shoot.

So given his {known} circle at the time, it may have been Tim Broad, James O'Brien, Ms Dwyer {!} or Linder; although Linder seemingly didn't resume her relationship with a camera until M. called up on the eve of the "Kill Uncle" jaunt and asked her to dust off her Pentax and come aboard.

But the McCabe tag is as good a call as any; it could have been a candid out-take from one of those 1988 sessions. The hair looks right, and the presence of the framed Billy Fury in the background of the HMV press shot suggests that McCabe shot him at Beech Mount, where Cummins also photographed his framed Billy in the bushes in September 1989.

í can't believe that Godhard thought Moz drew the Wilde cartoon.

With regard to the price, if í had the funds, í would pay. These are 2 of the best examples í've seen. Morrissey's copies are probably more dog-eared and thumbed than these. The "Interesting Drug" one, as the OP says, is invariably smeared and streaked from handling due to the printing technique. And "Playboys" is just immaculate.

The Linder photo was taken at the pool at the old W hotel in San Diego in 1991 and is in "Steve Shot". The "Playboys" cover was taken at The Sunset Marquis. Reckon why do you foreigners from the uk and Edgenburrow (wherever that is) have to try and make everything sound so foreign. Reckon even though the photos are in black and white, you only get sun shades like that in Southern California and he has his SHIRT OFF. Wake up!

Morrissey's copies are probably more dog-eared and thumbed than these.

Morrissey would never have signed off on that photo. He looks like he's just been winded!

These are not official record company merchandise. They're the type of bootleg posters sold at "poster sales" mainly aimed at students. That's not to say they are worthless. There are probably not many left in good condition. But £300? A few years ago some lucky soul got a set of Jo Slee artist's proofs for £70 each in an online auction.

Morrissey would never have signed off on that photo. He looks like he's just been winded!

These are not official record company merchandise.

Do you mean the International Playboys photo? Sorry but you are wrong there. I saw it with mine own eyes as an advert in either Alternative Press or Spin back in the virginal days of 1989...

To these eyes, it looks like a 'candid', a personal photograph, while larking about, chez Beech Mount, as opposed to a professional photo shoot.

So given his {known} circle at the time, it may have been Tim Broad, James O'Brien, Ms Dwyer {!} or Linder; although Linder seemingly didn't resume her relationship with a camera until M. called up on the eve of the "Kill Uncle" jaunt and asked her to dust off her Pentax and come aboard.

But the McCabe tag is as good a call as any; it could have been a candid out-take from one of those 1988 sessions. The hair looks right, and the presence of the framed Billy Fury in the background of the HMV press shot suggests that McCabe shot him at Beech Mount, where Cummins also photographed his framed Billy in the bushes in September 1989.

í can't believe that Godhard thought Moz drew the Wilde cartoon.

With regard to the price, if í had the funds, í would pay. These are 2 of the best examples í've seen. Morrissey's copies are probably more dog-eared and thumbed than these. The "Interesting Drug" one, as the OP says, is invariably smeared and streaked from handling due to the printing technique. And "Playboys" is just immaculate.

You would be right to not believe Goddard as, in my tired state, I used his name instead of David Bret - he was the one asserting it was 'scribbled' by Morrissey - apologies to yourself & Simon.
Sleep evades me.
FWD.

Last edited:
Do you mean the International Playboys photo? Sorry but you are wrong there. I saw it with mine own eyes as an advert in either Alternative Press or Spin back in the virginal days of 1989...
Ditto.
PJLM was quoted ('UK promo poster') as it was a point of reference, but I've bought and handled these myself and they are legitimate - whether they've been copied since '89 is a different story.
Regards,
FWD.

We've been going through our storage lock up unit with some of our old record shop stock and we found some very large subway posters that measure 60 x 40" each. They are 'Interesting Drug' and 'The Last Of The Famous International Playboys'. They've been rolled up and in a tube since we got them so are almost like new other than minor edge wear, more importantly no folds. I think they interesting drug one is hard to find without finger marks and stains due to the matt gold paint finish. These would look stunning framed. Anyone interested, we want £300 each or £500 for the pair. Let me know if you want more pics or info, our email is [email protected]

Thanks

View attachment 44285 View attachment 44286

View attachment 44283 View attachment 44284

Thanks for the info regarding the posters guys, very interesting information. I can tell you these posters were sent to us directly from EMI in 1989 and we used a couple in the shop and the rest were left in the original tube and have never been out since so all colours are vivid and as new. The paper is thick and original and there are no fixing holes or blu tack marks as they were never used. It's not easy to show in a photo but the 'Interesting Drug' poster is especially beautiful in the gold finish but i also love the style and look of the 'International Playboy' poster with it's mauve tones but both look amazing due to the sheer size at 1 metre by 1.5 metres. Neither of these would look out of place in an art gallery in a heavy frame or in a recording studio somewhere, they would certainly be a talking point.

Thanks for the info regarding the posters guys, very interesting information. I can tell you these posters were sent to us directly from EMI in 1989 and we used a couple in the shop and the rest were left in the original tube and have never been out since so all colours are vivid and as new. The paper is thick and original and there are no fixing holes or blu tack marks as they were never used. It's not easy to show in a photo but the 'Interesting Drug' poster is especially beautiful in the gold finish but i also love the style and look of the 'International Playboy' poster with it's mauve tones but both look amazing due to the sheer size at 1 metre by 1.5 metres. Neither of these would look out of place in an art gallery in a heavy frame or in a recording studio somewhere, they would certainly be a talking point.

Hi all

Just a quick update regarding Morrissey posters we're selling. We've only got a few left now so anyone is interested we can do them £200 each or £300 for the pair if that helps.

Cheers

Hi all

Just a quick update regarding Morrissey posters we're selling. We've only got a few left now so anyone is interested we can do them £200 each or £300 for the pair if that helps.

Cheers
So, in less than a month, nearly halved in price. As you say, "stunning" and "hard to find".

contact us at BLACKMAIL RECORDS,f*** me this is the biggest blackmail of all time.

Back
Top Bottom