Poll Morrissey the person is a dick, Morrissey the songwriter is great

Morrissey the person is a dick, Morrissey the songwriter is great

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t know morrissey the person. The musics great

:thumb:

That’s alright.

The turd anon that starts these threads also doesn’t know Morrissey the person, and never will.

:cool:

To be in the weeds of Morrissey's lyrics is to know the person. He has stated numerous times that he does not perform. He simply is. Therefore, to know the songwriter is to know the person. To say otherwise is an act of ignorance.

To know him is to love him.

His wholehearted support for For Britain remains on his personal website, and has been there for two years. His glowing endorsement of the party there does not mention animal rights once. It talks about bulldog spirit and keeping the country safe. Utterly nauseating far-right rhetoric. The man is a politically illiterate idiot who has deservedly shed tens of thousands of fans. He will probably never be able to record another album again unless he acknowledges his foolishness and retracts his support.

👍

Morrissey has always been an unhappy, introverted, aloof and difficult person and it made him a great lyricist. An easy-going guy couldn't write "Asleep" or "Late Night, Maudlin Street" or "I've Changed my Plea..". So yeah, he is a dick, but it made him. Whereas the World's Nicest Guy is all sunshine and friendly contentment but he writes lyrics like, "You got know-how, I got to know now, calculate calculate calculate."

Last edited:
Morrissey has always been an unhappy, introverted, aloof and difficult person and it made him a great lyricist. A easy-going guy couldn't write "Asleep" or "Late Night, Maudlin Street" or "I've Changed my Plea..". So yeah, he is a dick, but it made him. Whereas the World's Nicest Guy is all sunshine and friendly contentment but he writes lyrics like, "You got know-how, I got to know now, calculate calculate calculate."

Some of my favorite artists, the greats and so misunderstood are assholes to the right people, and I wouldn’t want anything less from them.

i love morrissey. i was watching some of his videos today for the first time in a long time and i had forgotten how much i love him. it's not even about his music or the things he says per se, it's this power i sense in him that i really resonate with, it's his strong will. i said he was like a monolith and that is true. he's like the monoliths of stonehenge, you can feel this great granitey power exuding from him. it's mesmerizing.
Liking the granitey power.

He writes lyrics and the vocal melodies to accompany them. Ergo he is a songwriter.
There's more to writing a song than that. Ergo he isn't a songwriter. To my knowledge he has never written a chord sequence or harmonic progression in his life and wouldn't know where to start if he had to.

He writes lyrics and the vocal melodies to accompany them. Ergo he is a songwriter.
Someone composes and then gives him a piece of music. He sings over the top of it. They are the songwriter, he is the singer. Simple as that. He is (misleadingly) marketed as a 'solo act '. He is nothing of the sort.

There's more to writing a song than that. Ergo he isn't a songwriter. To my knowledge he has never written a chord sequence or harmonic progression in his life and wouldn't know where to start if he had to.
I don't need a lesson in music theory, thanks, I'm pretty well educated on that score. A song still exists without chords or instrumental backing. In its simplest form it is words and melody.

His musical skill is quite underrated. He has an ear for melody that is quite unique - his tunes frequently don't go where you expect them to and some have really odd quirks. When you hear Alain Whyte's Not Bittter But Bored (which became IBEH) it makes you realise how clever he is with melody. Not only are Moz's lyrics better, but the melody is far superior (sorry, Alain).

I don't need a lesson in music theory, thanks, I'm pretty well educated on that score.
Well I'll take your word for it. And whilst some of his melodies are good, some are monumentally dull. "Hey I know what I'll do with this song - I'll just hover around the mediant, subdominant, and dominant for three-and-a-half minutes. That'll do."
I look forward to Morrissey's next album where he sings his songs unaccompanied like a pub bore folk singer.

Well I'll take your word for it. And whilst some of his melodies are good, some are monumentally dull. "Hey I know what I'll do with this song - I'll just hover around the mediant, subdominant, and dominant for three-and-a-half minutes. That'll do."
I look forward to Morrissey's next album where he sings his songs unaccompanied like a pub bore folk singer.

Denise Johnson felt that the unaccompanied melody was musically beautiful and song enough for her to perform it unaccompanied.

I look forward to a Morrissey a cappella album.

Denise Johnson felt that the unaccompanied melody was musically beautiful and song enough for her to perform it unaccompanied.

She did and it's awful. And she didn't seemingly have sufficient confidence in the song that she couldn't perform it without some seriously intrusive delay on the voice. The people I can see in the foreground of the video look a bit embarrassed tbh as well.

Someone composes and then gives him a piece of music. He sings over the top of it. They are the songwriter, he is the singer. Simple as that. He is (misleadingly) marketed as a 'solo act '. He is nothing of the sort.
I am well aware of the procedure he follows. You try it with a piece of instrumental Moz/Smiths music. It's harder than you think. And I guarantee what you come up with will be nothing like what Morrissey wrote.

I don't need a lesson in music theory, thanks, I'm pretty well educated on that score. A song still exists without chords or instrumental backing. In its simplest form it is words and melody.

His musical skill is quite underrated. He has an ear for melody that is quite unique - his tunes frequently don't go where you expect them to and some have really odd quirks. When you hear Alain Whyte's Not Bittter But Bored (which became IBEH) it makes you realise how clever he is with melody. Not only are Moz's lyrics better, but the melody is far superior (sorry, Alain).

Silly woman. He cannot write, and has never written, a song. He is therefore obviously not a songwriter. Someone gives him a brilliant piece of music e.g There is a Light, the song is brilliant. Someone gives him a shit piece of music e.g. Roys Keen, the song is shit. At the very most he could just about be described as a 'co-songwriter' but that's being pretty generous. A songwriter must be able to write a song, not just add bits to someone else's composition. This really shouldn't be hard to understand. A great singer, yes, a great lyricist, occasionally yes, but a songwriter, most definitely not. The songs he sings are marketed and presented as 'Morrissey' but he is no more a genuine solo act than he was in the Smiths, but the masses have been duped.

I look forward to a Morrissey a cappella album.

Yep, because she was friendly with Johnny, not with Morrissey. You know nothing about Denise so why try and speculate?

Back
Top Bottom