Poll Morrissey the person is a dick, Morrissey the songwriter is great

Morrissey the person is a dick, Morrissey the songwriter is great

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are wrong.

If Morrissey was to write lyrics and Boz wrote the music then both would be credited as SONGWRITERS for that track, right?

To my knowledge, Morrissey writes the melodies he sings. A pure lyricist in the Broadway or Tin Pan Alley sense would write lyrics to go along with an already-composed melody.

Whether that makes Morrissey a song “songwriter” is debatable but he’s more that just a lyricist.

Anne Marie Waters has been gobbing off about nazis and racial separatists of late.
Is she really shocked that her party attracts such people?
Same with the other Zionist shill 'Tommy Robinson'.

These people are hilarious but they just prove how racist Zionism is. They are in bed with Nazis over Islam.

His wholehearted support for For Britain remains on his personal website, and has been there for two years. His glowing endorsement of the party there does not mention animal rights once. It talks about bulldog spirit and keeping the country safe. Utterly nauseating far-right rhetoric. The man is a politically illiterate idiot who has deservedly shed tens of thousands of fans. He will probably never be able to record another album again unless he acknowledges his foolishness and retracts his support.

Keeping the country safe is nauseating and far-right, is it?

Morrissey bring far right is a blemish. The world listens too much.

He's only mentioned them a couple of times & it's been about faith in Anne Marie (god help us) & animals.

I think it's on the verge of collapse anyway - it seems to be dawning on her that she's teamed up with genuine neo-Nazis & her 'reasonable' anti-racist but a bit racist fudge isn't going to work.

It just depends how loopy she is (does she believe that it's possible we'd be outnumbered & a theocracy imposed like we're Iran???) & where she thinks she can go with her reputation.
Are you still pushing this tired stone up the mountain?

Some of my favorite artists, the greats and so misunderstood are assholes to the right people, and I wouldn’t want anything less from them.

:cool:

So not paying band members, one of whom had a handicapped is being an "assehole" to the "right people" (Moz)

so beating the shit out of women is being an "asshole" to the right people

Grow the f*** up

Morrissey has always been an unhappy, introverted, aloof and difficult person and it made him a great lyricist. An easy-going guy couldn't write "Asleep" or "Late Night, Maudlin Street" or "I've Changed my Plea..". So yeah, he is a dick, but it made him. Whereas the World's Nicest Guy is all sunshine and friendly contentment but he writes lyrics like, "You got know-how, I got to know now, calculate calculate calculate."
Funny thing is that Johnny Marr line is better than a lot of M's modern lyrics

Denise Johnson felt that the unaccompanied melody was musically beautiful and song enough for her to perform it unaccompanied.

I look forward to a Morrissey a cappella album.

:cool:

Denise Johnson has never sung a Morrissey *solo* song to my knowledge. She sang "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" unaccompanied which is by The Smiths.

Denise Johnson liked The Smiths because she was friends with Johnny Marr not Morrissey. Denise Johnson was also friends with Mike Joyce, Andy Rourke and Dave Haslam who is a Morrissey hater. Dave Haslam was actually at her funeral.

Denise Johnson was very big in Manchester's indie music scene very well known and unfortunately there is a lot of bad feeling for Morrissey in that scene.

Morrissey prefers other versions of "Well I Wonder" by The Smiths. He didn't choose the new Denise Johnson cover version. Morrissey didn't pay tribute to Denise Johnson when she died but the other former members of The Smiths did.

If Denise Johnson liked the melody to "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" then that is because her friend Johnny Marr wrote the tune.

The person who invented the idea that the art production of a person and the person can be separated deserves the guillotine... and thus his head will be separated from his body.

I like Morrissey.

I see a lot of debate on this thread, arising out of its title, as to whether or not Morrissey is a songwriter.

To me, the whole argument arises out of a false premise - that a song has to be written, on order to exist, which is not true: a song just as to be created. Most pop musicians can't even read music, so they certainly don't write it. They compose it and they record it.

Morrissey is a lyric writer, and he's a song creator. He creates songs by singing his lyrics over pre-recorded backing music, thus creating the vocal melody - and the vocal melody/words basically are what a song is. Ask somebody to sing 'This Charming Man'. They're not going to start by singing the guitar riff. They'll sing the words.

So no, Morrissey is not a great songwriter. But yes, he is a creator of great songs.

I see a lot of debate on this thread, arising out of its title, as to whether or not Morrissey is a songwriter.

To me, the whole argument arises out of a false premise - that a song has to be written, on order to exist, which is not true: a song just as to be created. Most pop musicians can't even read music, so they certainly don't write it. They compose it and they record it.

Morrissey is a lyric writer, and he's a song creator. He creates songs by singing his lyrics over pre-recorded backing music, thus creating the vocal melody - and the vocal melody/words basically are what a song is. Ask somebody to sing 'This Charming Man'. They're not going to start by singing the guitar riff. They'll sing the words.

So no, Morrissey is not a great songwriter. But yes, he is a creator of great songs.
In my view Morrissey is a great songwriter. It doesn't matter if he writes the lyrics not the music he is still creating and crafting songs. I'm not really into Sir Elton John but doesn't he write the music and get someone else to write the lyrics or something like that?

I much prefer Morrissey as a *solo* artist. I find it difficult with The Smiths because of what the other former Smiths did to Morrissey.

I really like Morrissey as a person just as much as an artist. Morrissey is like a shining light in these dark times he is amazing. I have so much respect for him. I think he is very misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom