Morrissey's "Autobiography" has entered the UK book chart at number 1 - TTY

UPDATE 6:45 PM PT:

MORRISZEY sends a link with more detail:

Morrissey tops charts - The Bookseller

Excerpt:

Morrissey's much-anticipated Autobiography (Penguin Classics) has become one of the fastest-selling memoirs since official sales records began.

The £8.99 paperback publication sold 34,918 copies in the UK last week—the biggest first-week sale from a memoir since Kate McCann's Madeleine (Bantam Press) sold 72,500 copies in its opening week in May 2011.

Autobiography's sale is the biggest first-week sale from a musician's memoir since official sales records began in 1998, beating previous record holder Keith Richards' Life (Weidenfeld). The latter sold 28,213 copies in its opening week back in October 2010.

Morrissey débuts at number one in the Official UK Top 50, relegating Helen Fielding's new Bridget Jones novel, Mad About the Boy (Cape, 32,172 copies sold), into second place.

UPDATE 2:35 PM PT:

Link posted by MORRISZEY:

Morrissey's Autobiography has become one of the fastest-selling memoirs since official sales records began - true-to-you.net
22 October 2013

Morrissey's much-anticipated Autobiography (Penguin Classics) has become one of the fastest-selling memoirs since official sales records began.

Autobiography's sale is the biggest first-week sale from a musician's memoir since official sales records began in 1998, beating previous record holder Keith Richards' Life (Weidenfeld). The latter sold 28,213 copies in its opening week back in October 2010.

Morrissey's Autobiography has entered the UK book chart at number 1, and has become the fastest-ever selling music memoir
- true-to-you.net

Morrissey's Autobiography has entered the UK book chart at number 1, and has become the fastest-ever selling music memoir. It is also one of the fastest-ever selling memoirs generally. No book has sold as quickly since Kate McCann's 2011 book Madeleine.

Also, #1 in Ireland:

Morrissey knocks Dunphy off No 1 in book chart - RTE

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting for the mailman, arriving from Amazon UK to my home in L.A. very soon, quizas mañana.
surely a classic. no doubt about it. cannot wait, surely, I will devour it tomorrow. please Mr. Postman...

Waiting for the mailman, arriving from Amazon UK to my home in L.A. very soon, quizas mañana.
surely a classic. no doubt about it. cannot wait, surely, I will devour it tomorrow. please Mr. Postman...

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive via Amazon UK too. I can't wait and I'm so excited and want to jump out of my skin.

I am so happy for Morrissey!! Like others have said, he's obsessed with chart positions so the #1 is extra sweet!

I am enjoying the book Immensely! I am quite biased myself, but it is so well written with such an interesting story to tell, it deserves a large audience.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay profile's back in the spotlight again - time for a new album I think! Please!

Yes! I am very hopeful! ;)

Re: Morrissey's "Autobiography" has entered the UK book chart at number 1 - TTY

I am so happy for Morrissey!! Like others have said, he's obsessed with chart positions so the #1 is extra sweet!

I am enjoying the book Immensely! I am quite biased myself, but it is so well written with such an interesting story to tell, it deserves a large audience.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! I am very hopeful! ;)

I agree. And his triumph is a big fat "f*** you" to all the haters out there who posted their nasty comments on The Guardian and the writers who wrote the negative articles on The Guardian. I hate The Guardian.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha! Morrissey is G-A-Y!!!

And you're still stupid.

I'm really happy for Morrissey - that's wonderful news. He deserves this :)

Truly pleasing news.
Judging by the amount of people who bought copies and had them shipped Stateside, I'm guessing quite a lot of said sales include exporting?
Anybody know about how that works? As that could well explain a non-North American release date as yet.
I would assume a book bought on Amazon.co.uk would count as a UK sale regardless of where it ends up being sent?
It's just nice to hear his name and see his image in the media more often, but a best seller is the icing on the cake.
Regards, FWD

I agree. And his triumph is a big fat "f*** you" to all the haters out there who posted their nasty comments on The Guardian and the writers who wrote the negative articles on The Guardian. I hate The Guardian.

Well said playcat2000 ! :)

Truly pleasing news.

I would assume a book bought on Amazon.co.uk would count as a UK sale regardless of where it ends up being sent?

Your assumption FWD would be correct! :thumb:

Last edited:
Re: Morrissey's "Autobiography" has entered the UK book chart at number 1 - TTY

hear, f***ing hear!

I love Morrissey as much as the next person, but come on that was some of the most overwritten, flowery silliness ever written. Some of the worst purple prose ever, especially in the last two-thirds. It's not some great artistic achievement, it's just interesting.

I love Morrissey as much as the next person, but come on that was some of the most overwritten, flowery silliness ever written. Some of the worst purple prose ever, especially in the last two-thirds. It's not some great artistic achievement, it's just interesting.

Well, the mainstream view these days is that "good writing" is some sort of modern, high plain prose. In fiction many writers aspire to the post-Hemingway pared-down Carveresque aesthetic. Cormac McCarthy being an example, perhaps. Even writer's from Huddersfield aspire to it. There's nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but it's refreshing to see Moz buck the trend and a bring such a Firbankian richness to his prose, absolutely revelling in words in the very British tradition of Wilde, or even Dickens. The first 150 pages or so, almost exactly the pre-Smiths section, is an incredible piece of extended poetic prose writing that I think very few contemporary UK writers could equal.

Im Happy for Morrissey

we moaned about cancelations,health, his latest albums with Tobias and Boorer, that's why we're die hards iregualrs

and now most press critics who said that Penguin was wrong to make a deal, well the last laugh is Morrissey's

and I smile along and say well done Morrissey, you deserved it.

'and they say he's mentall' ...bol.com 25-Live is a yes, forgot about those online Dutch shop...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom