Morrissey's best delivery?

Well, I know it's over is something more than a good song, IMO (maybe my fav, but everyone has its own). But even not judging the song, but just the vocal performance, should we talk about "oh mother I can feel the soil falling over my heeead oh oh oh oh"....? It still makes me cry, always. :tears:

It used to make me cry, but now it makes me laugh :confused:

"It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" features one of the most chilling vocals I've ever heard (from anyone). He purrs so seductively on that song, reels you in and then attacks, and those ungodly howls of pain? remorse? pleasure? all three? It's horrifying. He's spent so many years telling us that he's a freezingly cold soul, and those vocals make me believe it.

Precisely this. An astonishing vocal. For me his singing just improves with age. With this song you don't know whether to run toward him, arms thrown wide, or run a mile.

Are we talking with auto tune or without?

Because I think 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' is his finest vocal performance but I'm not sure how honest it is.

I disagree. I don't think it's been auto-tuned.

"I Don't Owe You Anything". His voice is so fluid and gentle on that one. Wonderful.

"Bought on stolen wine
A nod was the first step......"

Has he ever performed it live?

Sadly only once. Washington, DC - Warner Theatre (Mar. 14, 2009). Does there exist a recording of this show? I would very much like to hear how it sounded live.

Dear God Please Help Me

A hugely underrated song anyway but his vocals on this track are stunning - it's the most genuinely emotional he's sounded for years.

Agreed. Absolutely stunning song and vocal performance, full of emotion.

Morrissey is so underrated as a vocalist. I think his vocal gifts have usually been obscured by his physical beauty, his lyrical abilities, his ridiculous charisma, his quick wit and the ever-present psychodrama. Underneath it all is one of pop's greatest communicators.
At first glance I would have winced at this assertion; even though Morrissey is bemoaned as the emblem of "mope-rock" (what an insipid term!) he is the most open of all lyricists and vocalists. He has a life-affirming quality. Morrissey has an astonishing ability to convey different dimensions of himself, while maintaining his personal integrity.

He is a true original; no one else sounds like him and no one can.

Morrissey would never use auto-tuning. What drugs are you on? I think he does all his vocal recordings in 3 takes or less (I remember reading that somewhere).

The Boy with the thorn in his side. For the glorious yodelling, and overall impressive integration of a demanding vocal melody into an equally demanding guitar melody, carried out with technical adepthess as well as a fresh purity.

There's no shortage of other candidates of course, just to mention a few:

These Things Take Time. Primarily for the soul-wrenching desperation of Vivid and in your prime/you'll leave me behind.

I know it's over. Well. You know.

What's the World. An unusual choice perhaps, but I love the total anarchy of his singing here and the power it nevertheless reveals.

Interlude.

Let Me Kiss you.

Now My Heart is Full.

cheers

Thank you so much! :)
why thank you ..:)
well.. actually all thanks belong to drifter who created that wonderful site and whoever good man/woman recorded it:thumb::thumb:
let me know what you think of the live version..

Last edited:
It's difficult to separate lyrics, vocal melody and "delivery" as they're all so inextricably (and beautifully) linked, not to mention all the styles to choose from.

Although the songs are not huge in the canon, there's something very strong about the "delivery" in the Ringleader era, particularly the aforementioned "Christian Dior," plus "I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now," and "To Me You Are a Work of Art". All underrated tracks, IMO.

why thank you ..:)
well.. actually all thanks belong to drifter who created that wonderful site and whoever good man/woman recorded it:thumb::thumb:
let me know what you think of the live version..

It was splendid. It is a mystery that he didn't play this song live more than once instead of, let's say, Sorry Doesn't Help.

And God, how heartbreakingly beautiful Seasick, Yet Still Docked sounded. I will never get over the fact that I never got to hear it, and probably never will, during the Tour of Refusal. He still played it 2 gigs before I saw him last summer. :(

Back
Top Bottom