'Morrissey's old house' in Bowdon now on AirBnb

UPDATE: Eagle-eyed posters have pointed out that this is not Beech Mount, the house in Bowdon that Morrissey was/is known to own on Bowdon Road. It's clearly nearby - anybody know anything about Morrissey owning another house/apartment in Bowdon?

As already mentioned in the Morrissey's December Speech thread. Not sure if this has previously been discussed here but it was news to me.

"Superb location, Edwardian mansion house apartment
Hosted by Ruth & Neil
A lovely duplex apartment - once the home of Morrissey - in an Edwardian mansion house on the leafy Bowdon/Altrincham border."

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/13134090

41858_altrincham_airbnb.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that’s very interesting! And at only $48/night it’s not too expensive either...

At the back of Altrincham girls school...
Beechmount it’s called

Fairly certain that isn’t Beechmount. As far as I understand, M still owns Beechmount. In fact doesn’t some of his family look after it?
The apartment may have been prior to Beechmount. Beechmount is a large house with a large garden. I should know I was once (many years ago) told off my M’s mum for knocking on the door.
There was a white VW Golf convertible in the drive at the time, so I’m talking quite a few ahem years ago.
I’ve worked near there quite recently and sure I saw family knocking about.
Pilgrimupnorth

Fairly certain that isn’t Beechmount. As far as I understand, M still owns Beechmount. In fact doesn’t some of his family look after it?
The apartment may have been prior to Beechmount. Beechmount is a large house with a large garden. I should know I was once (many years ago) told off my M’s mum for knocking on the door.
There was a white VW Golf convertible in the drive at the time, so I’m talking quite a few ahem years ago.
Pilgrimupnorth

I think it is. Looking at the map, it's definitely the one on Bowden Lane. If you look at the photos of the outside, you can tell it's massive (even though you can only see a bit of it). I think the owners have created a self-contained apartment within it to let out on AirBnb. Do the external shots not look familiar? And I have to ask, what did the redoubtable Betty say?

Blast from the past. I remember back in 1992 a stalker fan befriended me and told me about the VW Golf. Then he stopped talking to me. Remember in the later 90s Moz did an interview from his BMW roadster? I wonder if it was leather-free.

#VivaMoz

Pilgrimupnorth

I think it is. Looking at the map, it's definitely the one on Bowden Lane. If you look at the photos of the outside, you can tell it's massive (even though you can only see a bit of it). I think the owners have created a self-contained apartment within it to let out on AirBnb. Do the external shots not look familiar? And I have to ask, what did the redoubtable Betty say?
well.., she wasn’t rude. I was trying to be confident and failing. I simply asked “Is Morrissey at home (or something)?”
She simply said that if I was a true fan then I would know that he was in London recording an album. That told me. I just said a Thankyou and walked away.
I’m trying to place when it was. I’m guessing early 1990s. I probably had an Edith Sitwell tour t-shirt on. Over 20 years ago. Blimey.
Incidentally and bizarrely I worked as part of the production team on CBBCs All at Sea and we did quite a lot of filming in Bowdon as Media City isn’t too far away. It was supposed to double as leafy parts of SCARBOROUGH. I got plenty of time to wander around Bowdon and it was all this time later I realised that M or his mum still resides there. It’s a very nice area to live and as I understand it Johnny Marr lives on the Dunham Massey side of Bowdon. I’m surprised M’s family aren’t constantly bumping into him in Altrincham. It’s bizarre.
Also, I must also add that the main pub in Bowdon was the local pub in Channel 4 TV’s Mount Pleasant. Which I also had the pleasure of working on. I say this because M has been spotted and fan photod there in the past.

Pilgrimupnorth

Any road. Beechmount has large black ornate metal gates at the end of the driveway. Sorry to disappoint

Pilgrimupnorth

All the reviews in the page rate it as "excellent", Morrissey would be happy.

(The house should have made it into that "Ultimate Morrissey product" poll).

Any road. Beechmount has large black ornate metal gates at the end of the driveway. Sorry to disappoint

Pilgrimupnorth
Yes it does. You're right. How very curious. And the drive looks shorter (unless that's the camera angle). Possible explanations?
1) Morrissey never lived there - the current owners made a mistake
2) Morrissey owned two houses in Bowdon
3) The owners took the gates off, and the drive is longer than it looks here
4) Anything else?

well.., she wasn’t rude. I was trying to be confident and failing. I simply asked “Is Morrissey at home (or something)?”
She simply said that if I was a true fan then I would know that he was in London recording an album. That told me. I just said a Thankyou and walked away.
I’m trying to place when it was. I’m guessing early 1990s. I probably had an Edith Sitwell tour t-shirt on. Over 20 years ago. Blimey.
Incidentally and bizarrely I worked as part of the production team on CBBCs All at Sea and we did quite a lot of filming in Bowdon as Media City isn’t too far away. It was supposed to double as leafy parts of SCARBOROUGH. I got plenty of time to wander around Bowdon and it was all this time later I realised that M or his mum still resides there. It’s a very nice area to live and as I understand it Johnny Marr lives on the Dunham Massey side of Bowdon. I’m surprised M’s family aren’t constantly bumping into him in Altrincham. It’s bizarre.
Also, I must also add that the main pub in Bowdon was the local pub in Channel 4 TV’s Mount Pleasant. Which I also had the pleasure of working on. I say this because M has been spotted and fan photod there in the past.

Pilgrimupnorth

I too had a similar experience. I was just told she had no idea who he was! LOL Mothers can never lie about their sons....it's in their eyes.

Blast from the past. I remember back in 1992 a stalker fan befriended me and told me about the VW Golf. Then he stopped talking to me. Remember in the later 90s Moz did an interview from his BMW roadster? I wonder if it was leather-free.

#VivaMoz
probably the same stalker fan who gave me both Beechmount and Johnny Marr’s Address around circa 1992. Ha ha!!
Pilgrimupnorth

Beechmount is on Bowdon Road almost last House on the left.
Pilgrimupnorth

I too had a similar experience. I was just told she had no idea who he was! LOL Mothers can never lie about their sons....it's in their eyes.
Brilliant. How funny. Ah, the daft things we did as young men. I’ve accepted that I’ll probably never bump into M anywhere soon. The best i can do is that I saw Johnny Marr out running one evening through an industrial estate near Wilmslow.
Pilgrimupnorth

Yes it does. You're right. How very curious. And the drive looks shorter (unless that's the camera angle). Possible explanations?
1) Morrissey never lived there - the current owners made a mistake
2) Morrissey owned two houses in Bowdon
3) The owners took the gates off, and the drive is longer than it looks here
4) Anything else?
That architecture is very typical of Bowdon. I’m guessing that this is where M lived prior to buying Beechmount. No doubt there is a blue plaque being prepared as we speak.
Pilgrimupnorth

I think us old school brits have claimed this thread (no one else knows what the hell we are talking about)..

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom