Morrissey's song about the Manchester Arena bombing - feelings, thoughts, expectations?

Not got any thoughts on the song itself, cos it has not been released, but the title itself is grim and misjudged, to me. Sensationalist. If he would also do a song about brown countries being bombed with arms sold to them by the rogue states of America and England, I would be more accepting.
He already has. Admittedly, it was a pretty duff song but the first track on Ringleader (I Will See You In Far Off Places) is seemingly set in the Middle East and features the lyric, 'and if the USA doesn't bomb you'.
I'm not fond of the bonfire title either but hoping it'll be a more thoughtful and nuanced lyric.

Last edited:
M:
It's about the kids who were murdered, yes. We are not encouraged to look beneath the surface because it's dark and hidden. But the song is anti-terror, and anyone who finds that offensive can only be devoid of personal morality. As your brother once said to me, the Manchester Arena Bombing was Britain's 9/11. We should appreciate anyone who asks questions.”
Thanks for adding this quote. I'd forgotten that he'd explained it a little.

Can you read? Who mentioned anything about sullying songs or decent lyrics?
He probably can't read but sometimes I think it's that he purposefully pretends to misunderstand so he can restate the post of whoever he is attempting to troll at the moment and incite them to post a response. This might be giving him too much credit. Either way, he's best ignored.

He probably can't read but sometimes I think it's that he purposefully pretends to misunderstand so he can restate the post of whoever he is attempting to troll at the moment and incite them to post a response. This might be giving him too much credit. Either way, he's best ignored.
Both theories are plausible. I usually ignore him, but sometimes his idiocy is just too much and I find myself trying to reason with him. Joke’s on me, of course.

a wee joke :blushing:

It wasn’t mentioned in the interview which song Iggy sings on. Some were making the guess that he sings on ‘Rebels’ simply because Morrissey sings about or mentions some punk bands in the song, that we assume are or were under appreciated rebels. So in that case, it does seem like a likely candidate for Iggy to sing on.

back to the topic ...,

“SAM:
'Bonfire of Teenagers' the track is magnificent, but you must be expecting some manufactured paranoia … the usual 'you can't sing about THAT' pearl fumblers.

M:
… because?

SAM:
It's about the Manchester Arena Bombing.

M:
It's about the kids who were murdered, yes. We are not encouraged to look beneath the surface because it's dark and hidden. But the song is anti-terror, and anyone who finds that offensive can only be devoid of personal morality. As your brother once said to me, the Manchester Arena Bombing was Britain's 9/11. We should appreciate anyone who asks questions.”
How was that tragic, vile, and disgusting event Britain's 9/11? You absolutely cannot compare the two. Was WWII, when the UK was bombed constantly, not worse than the Manchester event? 9/11 traumatised America, because it had not been attacked in such a fashion, except during Pearl Harbor. The IRA bombed the mainland UK multiple times. I think that making that sort of comparison is naive at best, clumsy and confused at worst.

How was that tragic, vile, and disgusting event Britain's 9/11? You absolutely cannot compare the two. Was WWII, when the UK was bombed constantly, not worse than the Manchester event? 9/11 traumatised America, because it had not been attacked in such a fashion, except during Pearl Harbor. The IRA bombed the mainland UK multiple times. I think that making that sort of comparison is naive at best, clumsy and confused at worst.

Yes, I understand what you mean.
But I don’t think anyone was making comparisons in that way, immensity or size of the tragedy between the two.

As your brother once said to me, the Manchester Arena Bombing was Britain's 9/11. We should appreciate anyone who asks questions.

I think he (Sam’s brother) was comparing the questioning of it, maybe the why of it(?). That like 9/11 was questioned, the Manchester Arena bombing was also being questioned(?)
and he (Sam’s brother) or Morrissey (?) appreciated that people were questioning it.

I should clarify that I was speaking specifically about his lyrics regarding politics and current events, nevertheless these don't do anything for me at all. The "Home is a Question Mark" lyric in particular is about as insightful as a Hallmark card and sullies an otherwise decent song. The other two are just whatever, nothing special.
I do remember it being referred to in Nomadland and thinking that the person we’re supposed to believe is a Morrissey fanatic, is either (1) daft, or (2) a stooge. Diminished an otherwise OK film for me, as I felt it was conflicting with the mood.

I’ve spent a few months dwelling on this.

I do remember it being referred to in Nomadland and thinking that the person we’re supposed to believe is a Morrissey fanatic, is either (1) daft, or (2) a stooge. Diminished an otherwise OK film for me, as I felt it was conflicting with the mood.

I’ve spent a few months dwelling on this.
I think your answer lies in column number one. The tattoo is definitely real and the scene a little too dissonant and corny to have been choreographed.

a: That was a war time act. So, as horrific as it must have been, no, unfortuanately for
everyone, that's war.
b: Falls into the category of cowardly murder...feck all to do with "British rule" the IRA, in whatever guise they portaray themselves as are nothing but extortionists/rackateers who will murder anyone, regardless of religion but make it appear like a republican cause.....just to collect their illicit drug money. Those (IRA f***ers) also murdered their own nationals and religious devotees. Great guys, eh ?

It's about how shocking it is, not the scale of atrocity.

It's the first time a gig (mostly attended by kids) was deliberately targeted.

I seem to remember Morrissey happily supporting the IRA blowing people up during The Smiths days. I expect the Manchester bombing felt different on several levels though: it literally was in his home city, it took place on his birthday, and it took place at an event that is his lifesblood (live music), at a venue he's played at before. It's not surprising it affected him.

I seem to remember Morrissey happily supporting the IRA blowing people up during The Smiths days. I expect the Manchester bombing felt different on several levels though: it literally was in his home city, it took place on his birthday, and it took place at an event that is his lifesblood (live music), at a venue he's played at before. It's not surprising it affected him.

He blamed British policies for IRA violence.

He blamed British & American foreign policy for Al Qaeda.

The only change is that after the Orlando Massacre, widely reported as an attack on gay men for being gay, he starts to see religious bigotry as a motive, but he still blames governments for not doing anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom