Most Inappropriate use of Morrissey/Smiths songs

• Thread starter Herr Schnorr Von Carolsfeld
  • Start date
H

Herr Schnorr Von Carolsfeld

I brought my son to a movie today called "Sky High". A Disney production. The plot basically revolves around a kid who has superhero parents and he is attending the superhero kid school, but is not making the grade because he hasn't discovered his superhero powers yet. f***ing wonderful stuff. Anyway, the kid is having a chat with his best friend, who is a girl who is in love with him, but he dosen't realize it yet. So they are sitting out on his roof, as you do, discussing things. Imagine my dismay when I hear the strains of "Please, Please, Please let me get what I want" as they are talking, complete with Foster and Allen banjo outro. It was in a cover version, I grant you, but all the same......
I cannot recall a more bizarre use of a Morrissey song. Even the TV thing about the witches that used "How Soon Is Now" as the theme tune doesn't compare, in my view.

the use of "How soon is now" in Charmed is insane. My roomie is addicted to that horrid show and for the life of me, I don't see a clear connection between the song and the show..maybe just a very vague one.

I believe "How soon is now" showed up on the Wedding Singer Soundtrack as well...does anyone remember if it was played in the movie, and what was the context, if so?

> I brought my son to a movie today called "Sky High". A Disney
> production. The plot basically revolves around a kid who has superhero
> parents and he is attending the superhero kid school, but is not making
> the grade because he hasn't discovered his superhero powers yet. f***ing
> wonderful stuff. Anyway, the kid is having a chat with his best friend,
> who is a girl who is in love with him, but he dosen't realize it yet. So
> they are sitting out on his roof, as you do, discussing things. Imagine my
> dismay when I hear the strains of "Please, Please, Please let me get
> what I want" as they are talking, complete with Foster and Allen
> banjo outro. It was in a cover version, I grant you, but all the
> same......
> I cannot recall a more bizarre use of a Morrissey song. Even the TV thing
> about the witches that used "How Soon Is Now" as the theme tune
> doesn't compare, in my view.

> the use of "How soon is now" in Charmed is insane. My roomie is
> addicted to that horrid show and for the life of me, I don't see a clear
> connection between the song and the show..maybe just a very vague one.

> I believe "How soon is now" showed up on the Wedding Singer
> Soundtrack as well...does anyone remember if it was played in the movie,
> and what was the context, if so?

well in charmed it is a copy, and idiotically use it as "sun and air" instead of "son and heir"

in the wedding singer it's when he see's the girl he loves or something and it's very cute

I've not heard a Smiths track used inappropriately, but i've often thought of perverse ways i could spice up the day by playing a certain track to fit a moment or mood. For instance:

'I Know It's Over' could replace our shop Christmas music
'Shoplifters Of The World Unite' could be played in the mall
'Still Ill' in the waiting room at the doctor's
'Vicar In A Tutu' as worshipers file into church
'Sweet And Tender Hooligan' in an OAP home
'Meat Is Murder' in McDonalds
'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' at the local slimming world meeting ... or perhaps 'I Won't Share You'
'There Is A Light' as the first dance at a wedding (although, i think i might have that one if i ever get married; it certainly tells the person how much you love them)

But the best would probably be 'Hand In Glove' during a Neo-Nazi convention or perhaps a meeting of the Christian right ... there's little difference between the two and i think it'd piss them off in equal measure.

It's times like these you wish you had a PA system to hand.

Back
Top Bottom