Most stupid lie about Low in High School from the reviews

butley

One review said I Bury The Living began with one and a half minutes of just crickets chirruping. Yeah right. The fact this was a music critic makes it more annoying.

The actual biggest lie is usually the star rating. The text of most of the reviews is very positive, but they’re invariably topped off by a **/*** rating which is belied by the content.

Not a lie as such but if you read most of the reviews without checking the ratings, you’d think they were talking about a four star album (fwiw I’d give ***, now I’ve had time to digest it and the peaks and troughs have coalesced into a homogeneous whole). It does feel as though they liked the record but didn’t want to admit to it because it was Morrissey.

Indeed. Absolute mystery why this masterpiece isn't selling consistently, isn't it?

Sales and great art don't always equate.

e.g.
How many copies of The Velvet's were sold on release?
How was it initially received?

Sales and great art don't always equate.

e.g.
How many copies of The Velvet's were sold on release?
How was it initially received?

So you're saying LIHS will be reviewed as a masterpiece, continue to sell in large numbers, and one day regarded as a classic like The Velvet Underground and Nico? Is that what you're suggesting?

So you're saying LIHS will be reviewed as a masterpiece, continue to sell in large numbers, and one day regarded as a classic like The Velvet Underground and Nico? Is that what you're suggesting?

I don't know the future.

I do think LIHS will be reassessed at some point .
Sales don't make a piece of art great.

some reviewers had made their mind up before they even heard the first note of MY LOVE.....vocals on this album are fantastic,say what you want about the record but nobody can deny mozzs voice is fantastic on this.

There is a very prominent keyboard intro you turd.

Maybe it’s the sweet corn in my ears, but I’m not hearing it. On closer listening, there is what sounds like a flugelhorn in the background, but it’s so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. To be honest, I suspect Moz just laid it on as, good vegan that he is, he wanted some entertainment for the crickets. I’ll then grant you that there might be a single keyboard stab between the cricket chirping and the guitar noodling. And, I suppose, there are drums, too.

So yes, it’s not just one and a half minutes of crickets chirruping but the reviewer was just deploying his journalist skills in a rhetorical device. Given that the song he’s reviewing is a very heavy handed, and reductive character portrait-and possibly the one true misfire on the record-written by a wealthy ex-pat with a substantial property portfolio, I thought you might appreciate the irony.

Yours, Gloucester.

Hopefully in the future maybe next year, the year after ! I don’t know, it will be reviewed properly by people.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Back
Top Bottom