Movies for Morrissey fans

M

MuteWitness616

This Christmas I'm asking for a load of movies, so I can somebody kindly give me a list of movies with that Morrissey loves .

Thanks.

An absent member Cuddle asked about it here

In Q&A on TTY, Morrissey posted he enjoyed watching an Israeli film 'Late Marriage'.

Also suggest you to read this
(scroll down to the headline BACK ROW)

If you're intellectually adventurous, you should watch films of

Jean Renoir
Luis Bunuel
Jean Cocteau
Luchino Visconti
Pier Paolo Pasolini

Last edited:
Saturday night and Sunday morning

inside the YoR's booklet Morrissey had written: "watch Parmigiani". I've never watched this one.

Sidney J. Furie's The Leather Boys is a great one. Really captures the sexual ambiguity Morrissey is (in)famous for.

Morrissey loves these movies...
"Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo"
"You Got Served"
"Roll Bounce"
"High School High"
"Glitter"
"Crossroads"
"Dangerous Minds"
"Beaches"
"Broken Hearts Club"
"Thrashin'"
"New Jack City"
"Robin Hood: Men In Tights"
"Mermaids"
"Priscilla Queen of the Desert"

"You Got Served"
"Roll Bounce"
"High School High"
"Glitter"
"Crossroads"
"Dangerous Minds"
"Beaches"
"Broken Hearts Club"
"Thrashin'"
"New Jack City"
"Mermaids"

Do you mean Crossroads the Eric Clapton concert DVD, or Britney Spears Crossroads? Thanks in advance for clearing that up.

in particular salò , which is a great christmas day film...

:lbf: :thumb:

I guess I'm stating the obvious here but what about "500 Days of Summer"? It has The Smiths-references in it and it's really really lovely. Probably a bit more proper for Christmas time than Salo.

"You Got Served"
"Roll Bounce"
"High School High"
"Glitter"
"Crossroads"
"Dangerous Minds"
"Beaches"
"Broken Hearts Club"
"Thrashin'"
"New Jack City"
"Mermaids"

:thumb:

"Brighton Rock", too.

And not forgetting "Honey".

"You Got Served"
"Roll Bounce"
"High School High"
"Glitter"
"Crossroads"
"Dangerous Minds"
"Beaches"
"Broken Hearts Club"
"Thrashin'"
"New Jack City"
"Mermaids"
You forgot "The Legend of Billie Jean" and "Gleaming The Cube".

You forgot "The Legend of Billie Jean" and "Gleaming The Cube".

You two have also forgot the following

Ed the Duck
Beat Street- He often watched this during The Smiths days
Through Mama From the Train
Super fly
Road House
The Secrete Of my Success
My Own Privert Idaho
Quills
16 Candles
The Thing
The littlest Hobo- box set (he based a few songs on the theme tune)

You two have also forgot the following

Ed the Duck
Beat Street- He often watched this during The Smiths days
Through Mama From the Train
Super fly
Road House
The Secrete Of my Success
My Own Privert Idaho
Quills
16 Candles
The Thing
The littlest Hobo- box set (he based a few songs on the theme tune)
Woah back up. There's a Littlest Hobo box-set out there? I'm skype-ing Santa as we speak.
p.s ~ "Mannequin"

Didn't Morrissey adore "Nil By Mouth"?

"Billy Liar", "A Taste of Honey", and "Withnail and I". Served with cheap wine and cheaper self-loathing. Happy holidays. :rolleyes:

This Christmas I'm asking for a load of movies, so I can somebody kindly give me a list of movies with that Morrissey loves .

Thanks.
on passionsjustlikemine there is an even longer (than the ones named in the given links beforehand to you) list of films he loves
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/influence-cinema.htm
and actors/actresses:
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/influence-actors.htm

also there
# music
# television
# literature
# other
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/influence.htm

one film missing in the passionslist is the film
un chant d`amour from jean genet

there a a few threads about this film on here
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=97673

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=104944

english translation of the french orginal snippet (in attachment) where genet`s film was mentioned by moz-(it was translated by a solo member in 2004)

Guestlist - the heartbeats of Morrissey

> Records: Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand

They interviewed me for the NME, we discovered a common passion for early era Sparks...I was very intrigued by this group (my comment -- Sparks or FF?). I invited them to play with me in Manchester, this summer, for the London festival Meltdown, which I am in charge of programming this year. The chance to appease some ghosts...

> Books: The Book of Disquietude by Fernando Pessoa

In Los Angeles, I live near the famous bookshop Book Soup, I go there at least once a week, to inhale the air there... Pessoa is well-known in France? I don't remember that. Good sign, that. (my comment -- that Passo is known in France or ironic comment that Moz is ignorant of Pessoa's popularity or sardonically commenting on his own supposed encroaching senility?)

> Film: A Song of Love by Jean Genet

I have also been able to put (rate?) Late Marriage, by Dover Kosashivili, a magnificent Israeli film from 2002. As I live mostly in seclusion in California, I seldom go to the cinema. It is by the grace of DVDs that I discovered today films like A Song of Love, less well known than Querelle, but sublime nonetheless.

also at tty (q+a)
Q:What are some of your favorite classic films or recent ones you've seen?
Mary Pluenneke
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
A:hello Mary
My favourite in the last few years has been Late Marriage starring Lior Ashkenazi. It's one of those rare films wherein the entire cast is excellent, and the film is powerful without one single special effect or any sound trickery. Lior Ashkenazi more recently starred in Walk On Water, which is also worth seeing.
http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_051214_01
ahh i see kewpie mentioned that tty thingy as well

walk on water)(offtopic:story of film)
An unusual psychological spy thriller, Walk on Water follows Israeli agent Eyal (Lior Ashkenazi, from the superb romance Late Marriage) as he tries to learn from a German brother and sister (Knut Berger, , and Caroline Peters, ) whether or not their grandfather, a Nazi commander, is still alive--but his growing friendship with the pair forces him to grapple with his wife's suicide only months before. Walk on Water grapples with racial prejudice and homophobia(as eyal learns within the process of getting to befriend the german man that the young man is gay) without once seeming preachy; surprisingly, the spy storyline introduces these issues naturally, as Eyal's hostility towards Arabs and his blithe view of Nazi war criminals are central to his character. Ashkenazi is charismatic and subtle; his bedroom eyes and understated smolder make him something of an Israeli Clive Owen. Don't buy Walk on Water expecting James Bond spectacle, but the excellent performances, intelligent script, and quiet tension will draw you into this thoughtful and emotionally nuanced movie. In English, with a few subtitled scenes in Hebrew and German. --Bret Fetzer
Product Description
This enthralling award-winning film by internationally-acclaimed director Eytan Fox explores the motives, strengths, and, ultimately, the humanity of an Israeli assassin sent to rectify a wrong committed five decades earlier. Eyal is a top assassin in the Israeli secret service. He has killed terrorists before, but this time he is sent to eliminate an aging former Nazi war criminal. During his mission, Eyal meets his target’s granddaughter and grandson, who inadvertently help him uncover his own troubled history and face his demons, while they discover the ugly truth their family has hidden from them for decades. What began as a straightforward mission, has suddenly escalated in intensity and complexity – thrusting three very different people into a thrilling triangle of murder, friendship and fate.

there is also these interviews (translated by kind member davdavon)
with lior ashkenazi(actor for example in late marriage and walk on water) and gal uchovsky (who is a director and producer)
in bothof them he spokes about other films he likes
gal:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=89249&highlight=lior
lior:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=88607&highlight=lior

Last edited:
100% correct

i hate fans who like stuff because Morrissey does, like NYDs who are utterly shit!

It is called widening your horizon. It is not necessarily liking whatever Morrissey likes but exploring things that he likes you might comes across stuff that might inspire you! It was because of Morrissey that I went to see the History Boys at my local theatre and absolutely loved it. So much so that I can't wait to watch Alan Bennett on the BBC on Saturday.
It was because of Morrissey that I first read Oscar Wilde when I was in my late teens and love him to this day! I agree that he has got some obscure music taste but do understand that some of it simply reminds him about a different life at a different time. You should try not to be so judgmental!

Back
Top Bottom