Moz Album Titles and the Meanings Behind Them

watercoloursun

I've read up on the meanings behind all of Morrissey's album titles but can't seem to figure out what "Morrissey, You Are the Quarry" means or "Ringleader of the Tormentors" signifies. Perhaps one of you would know?

I know that "Viva Hate" summed up the bitter feelings after The Smiths broke up.

The "Kill Uncle" title was in reference to a book (I think, can't remember now :(

"Bona Drag" was slang used in a British Radio show from the '60s

"Vauxhall and I" was in reference to a British TV station (please correct me on any of these if i'm wrong)

"Your Arsenal" I read was a pun

"Maladjusted" (pretty obvious)

"Southpaw Grammer" was a boxing term

Does the "Quarry" title mean Morrissey is strong like a rock? Does "Ringleader" have political meanings? Any info would be appreciated---Erin

YOU ARE THE QUARRY is a book reference i think but can;t remember what book. it could also have the double meaning of either that the artist is the quarry for the music industry bosses or that the music buying public are the quarry for musicians.

The photo on the front also interests me as it seems that it was planned so that it would look like morrissey was shooting down every other album on the music shop display stand, and the fact that he is shooting towards the right seems to point towards the fact that Moz thought he was going to be number one.

of course this is probably all shit that my mind conjured up

i thought that vauxhall and i was more of a reference to the fact that he used to live in or near to vauxhall, london

infact i think you have got most of these wrong, or maybe i am just mad

your arsenal was taken from the soundclip used in WLYK on the album. Arsenal is a football team in the UK for anyone wondering, not a very good one though]

kill uncle was a reference to the film lets kill uncle

didnt mean to offend

thats why i said to correct me on the meanings. i read various different things awhile back and i figured i mind would confuse most of them. i apologize for that. hope i didnt get anyone too upset....i'm still learning. ---Erin

watercoloursun said:
thats why i said to correct me on the meanings. i read various different things awhile back and i figured i mind would confuse most of them. i apologize for that. hope i didnt get anyone too upset....i'm still learning. ---Erin

yes i was devastated :D

Vauxhall and I may well be a reference to the British movie Withnail and I. Vauxhall is an area of London.

"Southpaw" was some form of left-handed boxing, amongst other things..

He once said on stage that the new album was called "Morrissey, you are the quarry, you fool". "Quarry" as in "prey". Implying that the title may have been him trying to say that everyone, the press etc was out to get him. He's always saying that kinda stuff.

"Bona Drag" was, according to Mark Simpson's book and others, old rent-boy speak for "nice clothes" (I think).

Ringleader of the Tormentors seems to me to allude to the fact that Moz views himself as someone who can stir things around, shake things up a bit...he said as much on the Channel 4 special a month or so ago when he was asked if he sees himself as a "tormentor".

Last edited:
The word 'Quarry' in 'You Are The Quarry' means 'prey', as in 'You Are The Hunted'.

The sound-clip on 'We'll Let You Know' actually says 'The Arsenal'. It's definitely a reference to the football team, and Alain shouts the phrase on the 'Beethoven' version.

The use of the word 'Vauxhall' does seem to refer to the area of London. The N.M.E, in their 'kill the king' days tried to insinuate that he chose it because Vauxhall was synonymous with racist culture. I can't fully recall their argument but they were just being arseholes about it all.

'Bona Drag' is from BBC radio series 'Round The Horne', and is Palare/Polari(underground gay slang) meaning Nice(bona) Clothes(drag). 'Drag' usually means womens clothes.

Hope this is of some use.

Sherman.

I read in a recent Interveiw he feels he's the leader of the gang, as far as us misfits go thus ringleader of the tormentors...also Viva hate was called "edjucation in reverse" as first I think? Maybe something to do with the smiths or something

Vauxhall and I

Has it not been suggested that Vauxhall and I's title is a tribute to Morrissey's ex-friend/partner(??) Jake (and the film Withnail and I);

Morrissey apparently said around the time of the albums release that Vauxhall (district of London renound for its Boxers and Gangsters) referred to the birthplace of 'someone I know' - clearly Jake who's inked torso is seen on the rear of the single The More you Ignore me...and a special thanks mention from Morrissey on the albums credits.

Just a possibility.
JIM

Viva Hate - post-Smiths split, speaks for itself...
Kill Uncle - from the film "Let's Kill Uncle" - possible a reference to himself as a former icon waiting to be killed...
Your Arsenal - Morrissey fighting back with his new arsenal of songs...
Vauxhall & I - Morrissey's life in London at the time...
Southpaw Grammar - ... response to NME, etc... music industry as school of hard knocks...
Maladjusted - response to court case...
You Are The Quarry - Morrissey targetted new fans and success, etc...
Ringleader of the Tormentors - the successful Morrissey (now an assured icon) the leader of the alternative music gang...

Your arsenal= your arse-and-all

Requiescant said:
The use of the word 'Vauxhall' does seem to refer to the area of London. The N.M.E, in their 'kill the king' days tried to insinuate that he chose it because Vauxhall was synonymous with racist culture.

Sherman.

Vauxhall is also well known for the "famous" gay pub, the Vauxhall Tavern. When Vauxhall & I came out, my friend said that proved Mozza was gay, he drinks in the Tavern.

What a tosser.

Please said:
YOU ARE THE QUARRY is a book reference i think but can;t remember what book. it could also have the double meaning of either that the artist is the quarry for the music industry bosses or that the music buying public are the quarry for musicians.

The photo on the front also interests me as it seems that it was planned so that it would look like morrissey was shooting down every other album on the music shop display stand, and the fact that he is shooting towards the right seems to point towards the fact that Moz thought he was going to be number one.

of course this is probably all shit that my mind conjured up

There is a classic book titled Fate Is The Hunter(a pilot's autobiography, also adapted into a film I believe) that contains the line: "Run as fast as you will, escape if you can, you are the quarry, fate is the hunter."

However, there's no evidence Morrissey read this book and it's just as possible that he came up with the title independently. Whatever the case, I like the line from the book. :)

I think Morrissey intends the title to be both that he himself is the quarry and that the masses of potential Morrissey listeners are the quarry. And I agree with your take on the tommy gun meaning Morrissey wants to mow down all the crap put out by the music industry. BTW, the tommy gun pic was inspired by the Winston Churchill pic I'm currently using as my avatar, as well as many a gangster film.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Orson Swells said:
Kill Uncle - from the film "Let's Kill Uncle" - possible a reference to himself as a former icon waiting to be killed...

I didn't know that. Interesting. Is it a good film? I've always assumed "Kill Uncle" is referring to Hamlet. Perhaps it's both?

dawn_raider said:
Vauxhall is also well known for the "famous" gay pub, the Vauxhall Tavern. When Vauxhall & I came out, my friend said that proved Mozza was gay, he drinks in the Tavern.

What a tosser.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd never heard that before.
The N.M.E, again probably in the same article, claimed that Morrissey's flirtation with skinhead imagery was almost certainly 'a gay thing'. They also implied that Morrissey chose the location for the 'We Hate It When Our Friends...' video because the area was rife with B.N.P graffitti. They then went down and photographed the offending scrawl.
It's incredible to think just how viciously the N.M.E had it in for Morrissey during the mid-90s. Other than as a platform to promote his latest work, I cannot believe he talks to them.

dawn_raider said:

What a tosser.

I think if Morrissey had ever gone drinking in the Vauxhall Tavern we'd know about it. There are so many people desperate to "out" him that that wouldn't have been kept under wraps.

That's true Danny. - Just around the corner from the Tavern is a pub called the Queen Annie, which is known for it's "exotic dancers".
The actor Craig Charles was daft enough to go for a beer in the Annie and he got involved in some sort of agro' that made the nationals.

Back
Top Bottom