"Moz Angeles" points of interest

Ben Budd

I don't usually post on Solo much these days but felt inclined during this fit of boredom.

Just flown home to Manchester from a lovely three week road trip across the States where I took a few days in Los Angeles. I was a bit apprehensive about going to LA, I thought it was a dull, concrete sprawling metropolis beforehand with no attractive appeal. However after enjoying Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Beverley Hill and a nice walk around downtown during the day I changed my mind and am now quite fond of the place!

Anyway, on my first day I took a walk down Sunset Blvd (I can't be bothered to spell it out) and took in Sweetzer, where Moz used to live during the exile years, and then walked down to the Cat & Fiddle and had a few pints before dinner during their happy hour. I was really happy to be there. As a former die-hard Moz (more casual these days) and having heard so much about the place as one of M's haunts I was amused by the prints for sale of Morrissey drawn by a local artist (I believe). I couldn't resist wearing my one remaining Morrissey shirt, though as soon as my girlfriend and I walked in I felt a bit silly for making my fandom so obvious. Anyway, one of the lovely young women behind the bar told me that Morrissey had actually been in a few nights ago. This makes sense, seeing as Solo has that picture of him with Tom Jones/Mel Gibson from a few days ago at the Troubadour. It did not seem too unlikely that he could have possibly popped in whilst we were there. I would have died of embarrassment had that happened, as there's no doubt I would not have been able to cover my shirt up with my hoodie in time before being spotted...

Anyway, the pub was lovely, the drinks were decent and the surrounding area wasn't so horrific as I feared. LA is indeed a lovely place. I realise the exiled Mancunian author P Gatenby is doing a book about Morrissey's Los Angeles but I was wondering if anyone from here who lives or has lived there has any tales of places in the city they associate with the man himself. I believe my favourite picture of Morrissey from the 90s is from LA, the Observatory one. I should really have taken that in, shouldn't i? So little time.

Well, that's enough rambling. Ta ta x

Back
Top Bottom