What's that all about then?
dontknow.gif

I'll start with:

"I was good kid
through hail and snow I'd go
just to moon you."

What's that all about then?
dontknow.gif

He's having a laugh."Moon" is to bare your bum.W'eve all done it when inebriated:squiffy:

He's having a laugh."Moon" is to bare your bum.W'eve all done it when inebriated:squiffy:

Yeah i know what mooning means. But he's talking about a "good kid" with a paper round etc. It seems inconducive.
dontknow.gif

Yeah i know what mooning means. But he's talking about a "good kid" with a paper round etc. It seems inconducive.
dontknow.gif

It makes perfect sense.

dontknow.gif

Isn't that kind of self explanatory? He's going back to his simple childhood with no complications.

When I first got into The Smiths as an 18 year old just realising they were the best band in the world, and adjusting from U2 to them, these lyrics confuddled me -

Farewell to this land's cheerless marshes
Hemmed in like a boar between arches
Her very Lowness with a head in a sling
I'm truly sorry - but it sounds like a wonderful thing

Isn't that kind of self explanatory? He's going back to his simple childhood with no complications.

I'm obviously having one of my senior moments because i'm just not getting this. :crazy:

Ok kids do moonies, i get that bit, but the lyrics suggest he's a 'good kid' not a naughty kid.

I'm obviously having one of my senior moments because i'm just not getting this. :crazy:

Ok kids do moonies, i get that bit, but the lyrics suggest he's a 'good kid' not a naughty kid.

Its just another type of 'Used To Be A Sweet Boy' kind of lyric - to me, anyway.

Well the whole mooning thing baffled me too, I wasn't sure if it meant MOONING you know? But wikipedia says this about the word:

Formerly, mooning was slang for "wandering idly" and "romantically pining."

Which in the context of the song makes more sense, but who knows maybe it's about actually mooning Jesus :p

It's still a harmless transgression without any significant consequences. It's a simpler pleasure for a simpler mind leading a simpler life. Thus it came to me, anyway.

When I first got into The Smiths as an 18 year old just realising they were the best band in the world, and adjusting from U2 to them, these lyrics confuddled me -

Farewell to this land's cheerless marshes
Hemmed in like a boar between arches
Her very Lowness with a head in a sling
I'm truly sorry - but it sounds like a wonderful thing

And how do you understand these lyrics, now? (Just out of interest, to see if anyone else interprets them in the same way as I do.)

From 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others'

"Send me the pillow
the one that you dream on"

Sure the lyric is self-explanatory, but I don't really see how it fits with the rest of the song.
Anyone got any ideas?

....I go with Peeks....I always thought the Mooning lyric was in the "Romantic" sense of the word.......it never occured to me that Morrissey would show his Bare arse in THAT sort of weather which he also describes in the song lyrics.....Brrrr!!!

I don't know if I've heard wrong, but I almost sure that the last word on "Cemetry gates" is sure, however, on Passions is wrtten that the last one is shut up.

Who is right?

I don't know if I've heard wrong, but I almost sure that the last word on "Cemetry gates" is sure, however, on Passions is wrtten that the last one is shut up.

Who is right?

:eek:
I've always thought he was saying, 'Sugar.' As in an affectionate term. Like, "The love of Wilde is on mine, Sugar ;)'

This is news to me :blushing: :D
Oh well. I'll still sing 'sugar' :lbf:

I've always thought he was saying, 'Sugar.' As in an affectionate term. Like, "The love of Wilde is on mine, Sugar ;)'

Sugar? It's possible too.
I'll listen to try to find something and soon I find post here.

EDIT
He really sings "sugar".
Stephane and I were wrong.

Last edited:

It is sugar, I have a smiths documentary with stephen street and morrissey does say sugar

In my my last listening of Cemetry Gave I paid attention and everyone here is right.
He sings "sugar".

Back
Top Bottom