Moz the prophet

Sorry, Peppermint, but your entire interpretation on "Stretch Out and Wait" seems to hinge on you one day realizing that "masturbate" rhymes with several of the other words in the song. Which is true, but you're going outside of the text for your interpretation. "Viva Hate" also rhymes perfectly with "masturbate" -- is that what that album is about, too?

If you read the lyrics, "Stretch Out and Wait" is clearly a set piece of two people in a room, one of whom won't shut up while the other one wants to just get it on. The "wait wait wait... oh!" is far more likely to be said in another person's presence :p

"Lucky Lisp" is another rendition of that well-trod Moz theme of "you're so talented you're gonna leave me behind." I always knew it was homoerotic (the "lisp") but damn I think you ruined it for me with your interpretation of the gurgle from the circle and the 9 leaf clover (the balcony line is a stretch). More detail than I probably ever needed to know. :laughing:

Homo erotic or not, all very interesting but I don’t care. Erotics are a very basic ingredient of what it is to be human.
And it is a part of love too.

Who cares about the sexual orientation?
I don’t. This is also a song about love, romance, melancholy, desire and it is a great song. Period.

Well, this is yet another thread on Morrissey-Solo that's enthralled me. Frank, open views, but still a level of civility that prevents the discussion descending into anarchy. Without meaning to sound patronising, it's brave of people to discuss sex so frankly and intelligently in the current climate of fear. It can only be a healthy thing to do.

Well he did write a song called (right to the point) "My Love Life" and immediately stated:

Aah
Come on to my house
Come on and do something new
I know you love one person so
Why can't you love two?

Peppermint now has me thinking this might be a call to Johnny to leave his gal for a quick snog. Everything seems upside down now. Walls are crumbling. Not quite sure about anything. :ahhh:

Because he manipulates his image so carefully and willfully.

But this is exactly what pop
music is about. Moz always understood that, and may actually be one of the last pop stars who really lived it. It has nothing to do with dishonesty.

Well he did write a song called (right to the point) "My Love Life" and immediately stated:

Aah
Come on to my house
Why can't you love two?

Peppermint now has me thinking this might be a call to Johnny to leave his gal for a quick snog. Everything seems upside down now. Walls are crumbling. Not quite sure about anything. :ahhh:

But that question still stands.
The “I know you love one person so why can’t you love two?”
Any answer I heard or tried to distill wasn’t an answer I could understand.
Isn’t that still a mystery?
Well, in many ways it is, for me.

I always got the impression that he was saying how selfish and absurd it is to love just one person, and that being madly in love with someone doesn't immediately render your heart immune to anyone elses love. Love begets love rather than cutting everyone else out of the frame.

I am not sure if anyone has a handle on his sexuality...even Morrissey himself. Although, I am confident that he has a "hand" in it as boys will be boys whether straight, gay or humasexual!

"See How Your Rules Spoil The Game..." Etc.

;)

I wrote of Come Back to Camden on another thread and I retrieved the lyrics only to reinterpret them through the lens of this thread:

Where taxi drivers never stop talking
Under slate grey Victorian sky,
Here you will find, despair and I
And here I am every last inch of me is yours,
Yours
For evermore

o_O

Nope. Acid house broke in January '87 with the seminal record 'Acid Tracks' by Phuture. A thousand records immediately followed exploding the underground warehouse party movement. Morrissey saw the news reports of the overdose and dehydration deaths of the "disco dancers" (as he saw them) and wrote the lyrics. Not about AIDS. Sorry.

Did you miss the bit where I said "Could be the case, though"? :rolleyes:

I always got the impression that he was saying how selfish and absurd it is to love just one person, and that being madly in love with someone doesn't immediately render your heart immune to anyone elses love. Love begets love rather than cutting everyone else out of the frame.

I was just concentrating on the question itself and trying to formulate a comprehensible and understandable answer for myself. There is a philosophical side to it.

In theory I would say it is possible to love two if you love one already.
But the madly in love thing for one, does it have to equal the madly in love thing for someone else?

And if not, maybe the other person would feel neglected or not feeling that madly in love thing and would become jealous as all attention and madly love has to be divided between 2 people?

I fear the stress of that and I think it is a reason for me to direct all the madly in love feelings to one person. If it does exist at all, that is. :rolleyes:

But this is exactly what pop
music is about. Moz always understood that, and may actually be one of the last pop stars who really lived it. It has nothing to do with dishonesty.

It has EVERYTHING to do with dishonesty. Pop music is pure dishonesty. Morrissey has always claimed that he does not participate in that nonsense. There are people that take Moz at face value and believe his image to be real. He says it's all real, that nothing he does is planned out. He has constantly reaffirmed his authenticity over the decades. According to him he doesn't even "perform" on stage. He just is. But in the same interview that I started this thread with he talks about practicing in front of the mirror for years creating his persona. He is the contradiction you're looking for. In spades. Moz lies. He admits it. Because of this it is impossible to "figure him out". His supposed enigma is pure artifice. The maze he creates has nothing but dead ends. The real him is in there somewhere, down deep, but I'm not sure if he even knows that person anymore. I don't mind that he does this, but after trying to earnestly discern who he is for a very long time I realized it's mostly futile. The curtain is cracked open only a little bit and inside is a hall of mirrors.

Last edited:
Did you miss the bit where I said "Could be the case, though"? :rolleyes:

No, I saw it. It felt like you were hedging your bet. My response was simply further evidence that my prior post was indeed correct and that your continued assertion was wrong. If you were just giving me the benefit of the doubt, my apologies.

Last edited:

Aah
Come on to my house
Why can't you love two?

To me, "I know you love one person so why can't you love two?" is just meant to convey that the person is desirous of the other and doesn't care that they are already involved. "Come on to my house. Come on and do something new" is lasciviously seductive. This is purely 'I want the one I can't have', but I'm gonna try anyway, cause man am I horny.

Incidentally, the opening line "Come on to my house" is a clear steal from Rosemary Clooney's "Come On-a My House".

To me, "I know you love one person so why can't you love two?" is just meant to convey that the person is desirous of the other and doesn't care that they are already involved. "Come on to my house. Come on and do something new" is lasciviously seductive. This is purely 'I want the one I can't have', but I'm gonna try anyway, cause man am I horny.

Incidentally, the opening line "Come on to my house" is a clear steal from Rosemary Clooney's "Come On-a My House".

Very interesting. Morrissey seems to have stolen..oh sorry borrowed a lot of his inspiration from others, but what artist of any worth didn't. I have mentioned this before but it applies here the connection between the Nico song:

"Please don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them"

and Morrissey's:

"Don't rake up my mistakes
I know exactly what they are"

Expressing a feeling in similar but different words doesn't necessarily mean they are stolen. I don't play an instrument and correct me if I am wrong, but there are a limited number of chords, but still new music comes out when you would figure all combinations would have been explored. Ultimately, it is the voice and emotion behind the music that makes it original.

Just this song My Love Life is open to so much interpretation of what is meant behind the words. I love that! I don't want to know the truth. Why is it necessary to pull the curtain back. Some things are better left unsaid and unknown. That is where true joy lies. Like a magician not giving away his secrets.

Last edited:
I too heard "My Love Life" at pretty much face value... the narrator is infatuated with someone who is already in a relationship.

The thing that always felt brilliant to me about the song is the economy of language. He tells an entire, complicated story... which we are still debating here... using only 35 words (not counting repetition).

That's f***ing art.

I too heard "My Love Life" at pretty much face value... the narrator is infatuated with someone who is already in a relationship.

The thing that always felt brilliant to me about the song is the economy of language. He tells an entire, complicated story... which we are still debating here... using only 35 words (not counting repetition).

That's f***ing art.

So true. An economy of words. Rare these days with Twitter and Facebook. So many thoughts and emotions can be conveyed with a glance or a simple turn of phrase. It's not how many words are used, but getting across what you are attempting to convey. So I guess Moby Dick is a bit overdone in that regard. ;)

Back
Top Bottom