Moz/The Smiths sites in Bristol/Bath?

The Wool Hall, perhaps? From Wikipedia:
The Smiths recorded Strangeways, Here We Come (their final album) there in 1987. According to Morrissey it was at the end of one of those sessions, in "a glut of meetings with accountants and lawyers at The Wool Hall Studio... [that] the Smiths breathed a last exhausted sigh and folded."
It's not a recording studio anymore though.

It's in Beckington, which is nearby. Not sure what it's like now, but I visited several years ago, and it was gated off, so the photo in the article below was about as close as I could get: Wool Hall. It's a pleasant, secluded little village though - so it's not entirely unpleasant just to wander around and imagine the band themselves stretching their legs during a break all those years ago.

It's in Beckington, which is nearby. Not sure what it's like now, but I visited several years ago, and it was gated off, so the photo in the article below was about as close as I could get: Wool Hall. It's a pleasant, secluded little village though - so it's not entirely unpleasant just to wander around and imagine the band themselves stretching their legs during a break all those years ago.
Thank you!! I might have to venture there, it does seem like a pleasant little village.

Then pop over the road to see 'the nails' - allegedly the inspiration for the lyric "Cash on the nail - is just a fairy tale" (or, if not the exact origin of the phrase (it's disputed), at least one of the only surviving examples of an actual 'nail' you are likely to find anywhere). Cash on the nail

Then pop over the road to see 'the nails' - allegedly the inspiration for the lyric "Cash on the nail - is just a fairy tale" (or, if not the exact origin of the phrase (it's disputed), at least one of the only surviving examples of an actual 'nail' you are likely to find anywhere). Cash on the nail
Interesting stuff, will definitely go to see it if I can. Thanks for all the help !

Does anyone know if this picture was taken in or around Bath?

Attachments

• 18b82b54e601275e91aa847d12f73372.jpg
    18b82b54e601275e91aa847d12f73372.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone know if this picture was taken in or around Bath?
I know it's part of a set of photos taken by Pat Bellis in 1987, but I'm not sure if it was taken in Bath.

However, these were.
e7df4ffec288ee63ba6c47d2becb6815.jpg

the-smiths-1987-billboard-1548-768x433.jpg

These are brilliant, do you know where in Bath they were taken?
Apparently they were taken at The Wool Hall by Andre Csillag.

As for the other picture, I'm really not sure and it has been 15 years since my last visit to Bath, but here are some more pictures from the set, maybe somebody else recognises the scenery?
20200708_234344.jpg

2b9c7584e710e0b5f559c57e78c9e310.jpg

74b0c815aef7095c9a4d004bf1e7da20.jpg

As for the other picture, I'm really not sure and it has been 15 years since my last visit to Bath, but here are some more pictures from the set, maybe somebody else recognises the scenery?
View attachment 57534
View attachment 57535
View attachment 57536
Johnny has still got his french beret on and has pulled his long hair over it to form a quiff as he didn't want to feel outa place in the photo shoot. If you wanna be in The Smiths you gotta have a quiff said no one ever.

View attachment 57534
View attachment 57535
View attachment 57536

Oooh, never seen these before. Cheers.
Again M+M in matching white denims? Where í come from, that means true love and devotion.
Looking like a pair of hot painter/decorators, who'd do your artex with a wink in a jiffy. {Mike + Andy look like a couple of Perry boy YTS trainees that they've been lumbered with that week...}

í've only been to Bath once, so can't confirm the location.
All í remember of the place was í went there the week "Your Arsenal" was unleashed and listened to it on a loop all weekend, in a vacant student basement flat (possibly haunted) and thinking í was going to be murdered every night. Apparently í was in the 'rough' area of Bath (?) So í wrote an actual 4 page review of YA to a friend back up North, fuelled by fear and love, about how fantastic the new album sounded. Can't remember a word of what í wrote now.

Oooh, never seen these before. Cheers.
Again M+M in matching white denims? Where í come from, that means true love and devotion.
Looking like a pair of hot painter/decorators, who'd do your artex with a wink in a jiffy. {Mike + Andy look like a couple of Perry boy YTS trainees that they've been lumbered with that week...}

í've only been to Bath once, so can't confirm the location.
All í remember of the place was í went there the week "Your Arsenal" was unleashed and listened to it on a loop all weekend, in a vacant student basement flat (possibly haunted) and thinking í was going to be murdered every night. Apparently í was in the 'rough' area of Bath (?) So í wrote an actual 4 page review of YA to a friend back up North, fuelled by fear and love, about how fantastic the new album sounded. Can't remember a word of what í wrote now.

They really started dressing more and more alike towards The End™️ it seems. Be it matching striped shirts combined with a dark jacket...

music_the_smiths.jpg

...or this interesting combination of stage ready jim-jams teamed with a fashionable pair of shades (presumably to hide last night's eye rings)

f6ee7efdec5004ab66a5d5a3906e1aea.jpg

Also, there's a "rough" area of Bath? How intriguing.

Sounds like the right place to fall in love with Your Arsenal for the first time.

I'm guessing those exterior street shots were from Beckington, near the studio? Also, just to be pedantic (or for anyone planning a sight seeing trip and thinking its in walking distance), it's not actually in Bath, but near Bath - about 10 miles south.

Back
Top Bottom