Moz's voice

the judge

I've listened to Drive-In Saturday and the live at Hollywood Bowl and First Of The Gang To Die (a free live version) and I watched some recent youtube clips.

I must say Morrissey's voice is terrible in its live form. I don't know why, because I don't mind in the studio versions. I don't know. It's like he's pushing it too much, it doesn't sound natural.

What do you think?

hmm,well it may be perhaps debatable if his songwriting skills are as sharp as they once were(i think they are) but i really think his voice has only improved with age,i can not think of a time his voice sounded as well as it does right now,live recordings are always a tough route in which to judge a voice,plus the climate and other factors can effect a voice, and was not the hollywood bowl show not so far away from the vocal problems he landed up having last summer with he caught that virus?

his voice sounded perfect by nyc at the hammerstein ,thats all i know.

Actually I've not seen him yet :(
I hope you are right.

You have to see him live to truly appreciate the beauty of his voice. Nothing compares and nothing does his voice justice.

Judge - I don't see how you can say that - his 'live' voice sounds totally terra fabulous to me:

I was there at the roundhouse (weds - 1 day before meltdown day - and I gotta say he was absolutely spot on: Just listen to Redondo Beach on greatest hits for a sample of live performance...

i actually think that, generally speaking, he sounds better live. i mean, he's a vocalist, so he can't depend on a guitar or something when he gets tired, so he gets hoarse and his voice cracks....because he's human. but when he's on, he's on and sounds amazing live.

his voice is amazing live,i went to his concert here in mexico city and let me tell you,he has one of the best voices i`ve ever heard ,listen to that`s how people grow up from the live at hollywood bowl cd, it`s better than the album version :)

I've listened to Drive-In Saturday and the live at Hollywood Bowl and First Of The Gang To Die (a free live version) and I watched some recent youtube clips.

I must say Morrissey's voice is terrible in its live form. I don't know why, because I don't mind in the studio versions. I don't know. It's like he's pushing it too much, it doesn't sound natural.

What do you think?

Well, that's the reason I usually don't like live albums or vids, cause they really trick you. If you listen to his voice from the Smiths era for example, I'm talking about live here, it was horrible. His voice has just evolved since then and he really sounds great live. But I agree with you to a certain degree: I wish he didn't push TLOTFIP live so much. It's far too high for him - he never sings the "international playboys" part, and, for a reason.

I thought his performance on Drive-In Saturday was brilliant. Obviously you could find many singers technically better than that, but as far as the amount of passion he puts into it its great.

I thought his performance on Drive-In Saturday was brilliant. Obviously you could find many singers technically better than that, but as far as the amount of passion he puts into it its great.

i totally agree. drive in saurday recording was exceptional

cossy

Only 14 years?
I thought you're listening him live longer than that.

No. Despite my incredibly advanced years, I only attended my first Morrissey gig in 1995. I was 29 at the time. Dear God. In fact, it's not even 14 years ago. I still remember my astonishment when "London" was played...

24 February 1995
Brixton Academy, London

Billy Budd
Have-A-Go Merchant
Spring-Heeled Jim
London
You're The One For Me, Fatty
Boxers
Jack The Ripper
We'll Let You Know
Whatever Happens, I Love You
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
The National Front Disco
Moon River
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
/Shoplifters Of The World Unite

This was the biggest date of the tour, and arguably the best. Security was very tight and only a few fans made it on stage. Morrissey was in a great mood, he was very playful, pulling fans to him, kidding them, even attempting a somersault at one point, staying for a short time with one leg in the air. The audience was ecstatic, they cheered, whistled and screamed from the first note to the last one. Boz was dressed very formal, with black trousers and a long black jacket, white shirt and bow tie.

Morrissey entered stage with a tambourine that had the word "ERIC" written on its skin. He shook it for a few verses into set opener "Billy Budd" then threw it into the audience. After that opening song he exclaimed "Welcome back to Brixton!". Then after "Jack The Ripper" he probably wanted to mention how he was still ill from the flu when he said "I'm still... I still am... I definitely am... nothing will change me! I'm still extremely... I still can't speak French... And I'm still... I'm still... What am I? What am I? I'm still... hang on...". Then the first notes of "We'll Let You Know" were heard and Morrissey matter-of-factly said "Oh yes".

During the noisy ending of "The National Front Disco", as he had done the previous night in Croydon, Morrissey came to the front of the stage, stood still at the very edge, with his face turned upwards. The only difference was that this time he had his arms outstretched in a Christlike pose instead of having them by his sides. It had become a habit on this tour for fans to get on stage in "Now My Heart Is Full" because they knew the set was nearing the end. However on this date, no one did, to Morrissey's apparent disappointment because after that song he said "I don't mind if you're bored... I really don't...". Standard tour encore "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" was played in full, a rare occurrence on the Boxers tour. Usually the number of fans on stage made it impossible for the band to finish the song. After that Morrissey left stage with "I love you... thank you".

Hehehe I won. :p
My first live was 16th July 1986 at Glasgow Barrowlands.
I celebrated 20th anniversary in Rome Ostia Antica 2006.

Hehehe I won. :p
My first live was 16th July 1986 at Glasgow Barrowlands.
I celebrated 20th anniversary in Rome Ostia Antica 2006.

I win.
Manchester Ritz, 1st Smiths gig.
Also went to see them around the same time at the Portland Bars in Manc, but they cancelled at the last minute (I wonder who decided that?) so another young local band called The Silent Party played instead.
Good gig all the same and one of the Silent Party became very important.

The End.

I win.
Manchester Ritz, 1st Smiths gig.
Also went to see them around the same time at the Portland Bars in Manc, but they cancelled at the last minute (I wonder who decided that?) so another young local band called The Silent Party played instead.
Good gig all the same and one of the Silent Party became very important.

The End.

My face is contorted into the picture of jealously right now. (Green eyes and all!)
Just thought you should know.

Back
Top Bottom